Breaking the GHz barrier with a CPU was easy...

KemoKa

A really stupid question that has probably been asked time and time again, but seeing as the GHz barrier was shattered to pieces by AMD's Athlon 15 years ago. right now we can overclock several processors to 5GHz with few if any issues. Which is where I come to GPUs. Why is it that we have yet to break the 2GHz barrier on stock-clocked GPUs? is it an architecture thing? Is it the matter of GPUs just taking loads more power by their very nature? If that's the case, then okay, but I can't see very many reasons as to why someone hasn't clocked their GPU to the balls yet. Power delivery would probably need to be insane, but... Would there be any benefit to a superclocked GPU?

A really stupid question that has probably been asked time and time again, but seeing as the GHz barrier was shattered to pieces by AMD's Athlon 15 years ago. right now we can overclock several processors to 5GHz with few if any issues. Which is where I come to GPUs. Why is it that we have yet to break the 2GHz barrier on stock-clocked GPUs? is it an architecture thing? Is it the matter of GPUs just taking loads more power by their very nature? If that's the case, then okay, but I can't see very many reasons as to why someone hasn't clocked their GPU to the balls yet. Power delivery would probably need to be insane, but... Would there be any benefit to a superclocked GPU?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1272386/vc-evga-gtx-680-classified-reaches-2ghz-gpu-clock

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/evga-780ti-kingpin-oc,27198.html

And kingpin has already said he has gotten way past 2ghz on a 980

Not stock but neither is 5ghz on a cpu. Gpu's have thousands of cores, it is a little different than a processor. Especially since the amount of cores is more important than the speed when it comes to gpu's.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Also the GPU core makes so much more heat than the CPU core that GPU's are incredibly limited by thermal headroom. Remember, a gpu has well over 2000 cores whereas a CPU has only 4/6/8

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Not stock but neither is 5ghz on a cpu.

That's cool.

the 9590 is factory-overclocked to turbo to 5GHz. Still counts as stock in the tech talk shows I've seen. Isn't practical though.

Shiro <3

http://www.overclock.net/t/1272386/vc-evga-gtx-680-classified-reaches-2ghz-gpu-clock

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/evga-780ti-kingpin-oc,27198.html

Not stock but neither is 5ghz on a cpu. Gpu's have thousands of cores, it is a little different than a processor. Especially since the amount of cores is more important than the speed when it comes to gpu's.

That is on LN. ;(

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

If gpu's and cpu's worked the same then we would only have one of the two. gpu's have so many more cores that taking all of them up in clock speed produces allot more heat and makes it more unstable, so we are left to minor changes, that ironically can result in huge performance gains in games.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi