SLI my 780ti setup or jump to 980 SLI?

Zaku77

Okay, so I am at a complete loss on how I should go about this next upgrade for my system. First of all, here is my current setup--more or less. The processor is currently overclocked to 4.5 ghz.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Zaku77/saved/3k4NnQ

I want to move to SLI. I know that my PSU can't handle two 780tis in SLI, so if I go that route, I will need a new one. The 780ti classy just dropped to $650 (with a $30) rebate from newegg. So I could go that route and upgrade my PSU. The other option is for me to sell my 780ti (for probably around $500) and upgrade to two 980 classifieds. Then I get faster cards, newer tech, and 4gb of VRAM rather than 3. I am really leaning towards that decision. My 750w PSU should support two 980s no problem, yeah? Any input on this would be really appreciated!

Okay, so I am at a complete loss on how I should go about this next upgrade for my system. First of all, here is my current setup--more or less. The processor is currently overclocked to 4.5 ghz.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Zaku77/saved/3k4NnQ

I want to move to SLI. I know that my PSU can't handle two 780tis in SLI, so if I go that route, I will need a new one. The 780ti classy just dropped to $650 (with a $30) rebate from newegg. So I could go that route and upgrade my PSU. The other option is for me to sell my 780ti (for probably around $500) and upgrade to two 980 classifieds. Then I get faster cards, newer tech, and 4gb of VRAM rather than 3. I am really leaning towards that decision. My 750w PSU should support two 980s no problem, yeah? Any input on this would be really appreciated!

If you have the money go for the second option, it will even allow you to overclock more because of how the new cards manage power.

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

Really pondering this right now as well. 

@Zaku77 what resolution do you game at? 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Get another used 780ti or go with a new one once they start to go on clearance pricing.  gtx980 is barely an upgrade to a 780ti, you're talking an average of less than 10% in performance improvement.  You could not tell the difference between 780ti sli and 980 sli for gaming purposes.

Wait for Big Maxwell, it's going to come on 28nm, 550mm2+die and be an actual upgrade for 780ti.

Really pondering this right now as well. 

@Zaku77 what resolution do you game at? 

I'm doing 1080p at the moment. But along with my jump to SLI, I'm going to be getting either the 1440 or the 4k G Sync monitor.

I'm doing 1080p at the moment. But along with my jump to SLI, I'm going to be getting either the 1440 or the 4k G Sync monitor.

well if you can afford both a new gpu and a new monitor then I think its a good way to go, but as others mentioned you may want want to see if A. AMD releases something tomorrow and or nvidia releases a new  rumoured monster. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

I know that there will likely be a 980ti, but I'm looking to upgrade monitors, and 980sli will do me just fine--especially with the assumed price difference. It will also likely cost me the same amount of money either way here. As the 780ti will be $630, plus another $120ish for a new PSU that could support that. Or I can sell mine for about $500 and then get two 980 classys @ $600ish a piece and keep my current PSU. The cost should be about the same, so It seems like a better way to go, yeah?

I know that there will likely be a 980ti, but I'm looking to upgrade monitors, and 980sli will do me just fine--especially with the assumed price difference. It will also likely cost me the same amount of money either way here. As the 780ti will be $630, plus another $120ish for a new PSU that could support that. Or I can sell mine for about $500 and then get two 980 classys @ $600ish a piece and keep my current PSU. The cost should be about the same, so It seems like a better way to go, yeah?

I was think about doing a similar thing but 970s. It costs about the same though if you look at loss you take when selling your 780 ti for $500, in example I would lose $230 at that sale price. Whether you want to account for depreciation I don't know.  but if I'm not mistaken to add on it would $750 total (no tax) new cards $1200 - $500 = 700, but you lost say $!50 in depreciation making your cost more than a 780 ti. The deprecation will always be there when you sell in comparison to keeping the 780 ti until it dies or is only good for a cup holder. I don't know if the extra money is better spent for an extra GB of vram, frankly I wonder that too. 

This is my way of rationalising it, you may not look at it this way though. 

Spoiler