iPhone 6 models 'set gold standard' in photo, video quality tests

Apple's iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are the new leaders on a DxO Labs test of photo and video quality, demoting the Samsung Galaxy S5 to third place.

Apple sets the "gold standard for smartphone image quality," DxO Labs said in DxOMark scores released Tuesday for Apple's newest iPhones.

They're tied with a score of 82, a notch ahead of the GS5 and Sony's Xperia Z2 and Z3, all tied at 79. DxO bases its scores on lab testing of color reproduction, noise, exposure, contrast, autofocus, texture preservation and other attributes for both video and still photos.

"They have very good, generally reliable auto-exposure in a wide range of lighting conditions, and they have both fast and accurate autofocus," DxO Labs concluded. "Output from the 8-megapixel stills improves the high level of detail in both outdoor and indoor lighting. In low light, noise reduction is handled well with images revealing fine-grained luminance noise."

The victory over Samsung's Galaxy S5 was narrow. Samsung's higher megapixel count does better when preserving the fine detail of textures, but the iPhones pull ahead. "The great autofocus that is clearly leading today's competition directly translates into a lead in the overall score," DxO said. The autofocus advantage helps both with video and photo scores.

Mobile-Graph.jpg

Displaymate also proclaimed that iPhone 6/6 Plus has the 'Best performing LCD Panel' and Anandtech also reported that the new iPhones have a beast of a chip inside them

Looks like the new iPhones does improve on alot of things rather than general consensus that 'all they did was make the phone bigger'

Source: http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Apple-iPhone-6-and-6-Plus-review-Bigger-and-better.-Apple-set-gold-standard-for-smartphone-image-quality

Source 2: http://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-6-models-set-gold-standard-in-photo-video-quality-tests/

Looks like the new iPhones does improve on alot of things rather than general consensus that 'all they did was make the phone bigger'

What a surprise 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I don't know much about phone camera testing, how official are these results? And what is the difference between a score of 82 and a score of 79?

I don't know much about phone camera testing, how official are these results? And what is the difference between a score of 82 and a score of 79?

The testing is trustworthy, but the difference between 82 and 79 is probably about the same as the difference between 82 and 79 frames per second in a video game; not much.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

iphones take the best pictures within smartphones, every generation.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Not true.

Last Year G2 was way better than the iPhone.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

Not true.

only in video for having OIS

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

and this will quickly be beaten by other phones this coming spring. cool to hear its the best now but wont matter for very long...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Not true.

It depends on how you define "best". There are tons of different ways to measure how good a camera is and no smartphone is the best in every area, heck it's not even possible. Remember the scores on this chart is cumulative, so it's the "best average".

But the reason why one smartphone camera can't be the best is because of factors like lens focal length. There is no such thing as a "best focal length" you use which ever one is best suited for the kind of picture you want to take. But on a smartphone, you cannot change lenses, so they have to make a choice of what focal length to use and that is that.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

i like only a single thing about the iphone camera on the 6, that is the auto-focus function when recording.

that sht is pretty hard to pull off since DSLRs got trouble with it, since the camera and lens got to support it IIRC, so on that, goodjob apple.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I am just sitting here with my sanity and my Moto G gen 2.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

And here I am with my 13 megapixel OnePlus One ;( /s

FFS MO ONE CARES about a "flagship killer" that you can't even go into a store and buy. By the time it makes it to general sale it will be outdated so stop trying to throw it into every phone argument

Not true.

I love that you make that statement when the facts proving you wrong are 5 posts above you

This was the one thing that was holding me back from switching from iPhone. There cameras are always so good

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

only in video for having OIS

No, it also captured more detail (thanks to higher resolution) in photos and the OIS helped A TON in certain low light scenarios.

LG G2

iPhone 5S

It's worth noting that DxO has not tested for example the LG G3.

On top of that, they don't seem to provide an easy way to compare their results for yourself. They just say "it's this good" and then you have to take their word for it. I prefer sites like GSMArena which not only uploads all the photos they take but also gives you a very handy tool for comparing the cameras with.

Another issue I got with this is that the iPhone 6 got a better video score than the iPhone 6+. How did they come to that conclusion? They say the OIS made the video worse but I really doubt that, but they give me no way of validating it myself.

I would take this title with a huge grain of salt.

FFS MO ONE CARES about a "flagship killer" that you can't even go into a store and buy. By the time it makes it to general sale it will be outdated so stop trying to throw it into every phone argument

The misinformed are misinformed. It's getting easier and easier to get one and it's scheduled for full release in October of this year. To counter you're argument "FFS No One cares about an Overpriced phone that doesn't have the specs to justify the price".

I love that you make that statement when the facts proving you wrong are 5 posts above you

This was the one thing that was holding me back from switching from iPhone. There cameras are always so good

I don't know who the hell Mo One is but who gives a fuck about his opinion? The Oneplus One was always a value phone, with the focus on the price point. Even if it released to the general public in about six months for the same price, it would still be a decent option.

What, the fact that this website rated the G2 lower, when there is a comparison by Lawlz proving the point just a bit further down?

When did apple start selling iBlinders, because a lot of people on this forum seem to have them...

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

I don't know how DxOMark tests phones, but their tests on DSLR lenses are pretty awesome and really handy when purchasing, so I'm a little more likely to trust what they say. 

They certainly know a thing or two about image and optics quality tests. 

So far their pictures and videos look amazing. Not sure how to measure their quality, or if it's even something that can be benchmarked, but they looks great.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Not sure how to measure their quality, or if it's even something that can be benchmarked, but they looks great.

That's what bothers me. Usually in a phone review the author posts a bunch of images taken at the same location, comments on them and lets the reader make their mind up.

In this they don't even publish what they used to come to their conclusion. They publish some of the photos but not all of them, and no video at all. This does not seem trustworthy at all. It's like saying I rate the iPhone's screen at 78/100.

I am still waiting to see wait anandtech wilil show in their review.

The misinformed are misinformed. It's getting easier and easier to get one and it's scheduled for full release in October of this year. To counter you're argument "FFS No One cares about an Overpriced phone that doesn't have the specs to justify the price".

I can get an iPhone 6 for pretty much the same price as I can any other 'good' phone from my provider.. (S5, M8, etc.)\

Which is why I'll be getting one. And because, believe it or not, iPhones are actually pretty good phones.

Gold is not enough, I want the Diamond Standard

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

Did anyone else notice how they made their graph misleading?

Many devices scored the same, but the bars keep shrinking in size.

It looks like the chart has a very skewed scale

I can get an iPhone 6 for pretty much the same price as I can any other 'good' phone from my provider.. (S5, M8, etc.)\

Which is why I'll be getting one. And because, believe it or not, iPhones are actually pretty good phones.

Getting locked into a contract is fun right?