The IBM and the Supermicro are very popular HBA's you will see them in a lot of software raid builds (both windows and linux builds)

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Hardware

CASE: Lian Li PC-A70F with Lian Li EX-23NB and EX-34NB

PSU: Antec New Truepower 750w (Seasonic rebrand)

MB: Asus P8P67 Pro

I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to storage arrays, but what happens if a disk goes down in your situation dangerous? You would just lose the data on the single drive, correct?

CapnCrunch, on 18 Jun 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to storage arrays, but what happens if a disk goes down in your situation dangerous? You would just lose the data on the single drive, correct?

Unless he saved it somewhere else, yes it would, that's why i recommended FlexRAID to him.

But then again his middle name is dangerous...

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Unless he saved it somewhere else, yes it would, that's why i recommended FlexRAID to him.

But then again his middle name is dangerous...

Thank looney. I guess if it's just media, it's not a big deal since it can usually be burned or downloaded again. Dangerous looks like he needs the space anyway so losing a drive to parity might not be an option. I just bought a FlexRAID license myself so I'll be setting up a system sometime week. Hopefully it goes well.

Any tips for a first time user? I'll be using 8 3TB drives if that makes a difference.

Thank looney. I guess if it's just media, it's not a big deal since it can usually be burned or downloaded again. Dangerous looks like he needs the space anyway so losing a drive to parity might not be an option. I just bought a FlexRAID license myself so I'll be setting up a system sometime week. Hopefully it goes well.

Any tips for a first time user? I'll be using 8 3TB drives if that makes a difference.

Yes, make sure you set your "Storage Pool Merge Mode" to "Auto-space-Priority" this way it will evenly fill your hard drives instead of one by one.

And make sure you set up your schedulers for all the tasks.

Merge options:

FlexRAID%20Merge%20settings.png

Hey Looney, you should do a video tutorial on FlexRAID, on the basics, i dont think there are many if any guides, just in how to set up, what stuff means, recover, ect :P

thats if your into making a video (need to talk in it)

Yes, make sure you set your "Storage Pool Merge Mode" to "Auto-space-Priority" this way it will evenly fill your hard drives instead of one by one.

Merge options:

(pic)

Will do, thank you!

Hey Looney, you should do a video tutorial on FlexRAID, on the basics, i dont think there are many if any guides, just in how to set up, what stuff means, recover, ect :P

thats if your into making a video (need to talk in it)

The flexRAID wiki is not bad, http://wiki.flexraid.com/

Should be all you need to start with/troubleshoot flexRAID.

But I might make a written tutorial for the forum.

yea, personally i find things alot more easy to understand via video, and the personal explaining

a written tutorial, is better than nothing, written can very good if done and explained well, pictures help

yea, personally i find things alot more easy to understand via video, and the personal explaining

a written tutorial, is better than nothing, written can very good if done and explained well, pictures help

It will have a lot of pictures :)

@looney, good idea this flexRAID thing. I'm thinking of doing wile i dont change the rest of the drives.

Does the HDD have to be empty to set it up? Am i goint to see one big drive?

Thx, mate. 

Intel Core i7-5960X / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 2 x SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256GB (RAID0) / 2 x SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TbGB (RAID0) / Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4 2666MHz / VGA Geforce 780 TI / PSU Thermaltake 1200W / Case: CoolerMaster ATX CM Storm Trooper SGC-5000-KWN1 / Headset: SteelSeries H Wireless / Logitech Momo / Monitors: 03 x Dell U2414H

@looney, good idea this flexRAID thing. I'm thinking of doing wile i dont change the rest of the drives.

Does the HDD have to be empty to set it up? Am i goint to see one big drive?

Thx, mate. 

Drives don't need to be empty. it will pool all the drives and you can add parity drives (they will need to be empty)

Looks like I'll win with my old server! Not bad to get that much space out of a WD green 2tb :)

eoLiOJU.jpg

Anywhen. Cool to see such beasty storage rigs, hope I'll get the room to have one myself in the nearest future! :)

LOL 1.2PB files, nice :p

Looks like I'll win with my old server! Not bad to get that much space out of a WD green 2tb :)

eoLiOJU.jpg

Anywhen. Cool to see such beasty storage rigs, hope I'll get the room to have one myself in the nearest future! :)

Never seen one of this, I WANT ONE TOO!!!

Intel Core i7-5960X / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 2 x SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256GB (RAID0) / 2 x SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TbGB (RAID0) / Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4 2666MHz / VGA Geforce 780 TI / PSU Thermaltake 1200W / Case: CoolerMaster ATX CM Storm Trooper SGC-5000-KWN1 / Headset: SteelSeries H Wireless / Logitech Momo / Monitors: 03 x Dell U2414H

Yeah, if a drive were to fail in my setup and I was unable to recover the data, then I would lose the data on that drive. I prefer that scenario to the possibilities in RAID where you might lose your entire array if one drive fails and then you are unable to rebuild the array. You can see how many drives I have and I've never experienced data loss. I monitor the drive health over time and I'm able to pull the data off when I see it's failing.

I prefer that scenario to the possibilities in RAID where you might lose your entire array if one drive fails and then you are unable to rebuild the array.

not with FlexRAID, it will keep the NTFS infrastructure. so if the array fails you can still access the data via NTFS 

Never seen one of this, I WANT ONE TOO!!!

Buy bitcasa.

Buy bitcasa.

For 99/year to have unlimited space in the cloud, i think its great!

Merge options:

Looney, if I have existing data on the drives I'm adding, will the auto-space priority mode distribute existing data or should I do that on my own prior to starting a configuration.

Currently, I have mostly movies and shows on my drives and they are split like this:

Drive 1: Movies A-L (maybe 800GB free of 2.72TB)

Drive 2: Movies M-Z (maybe 800GB free of 2.72TB)

Drive 3: Shows (maybe 400GB free of 2.72TB)

Drive 4: Documents ( >1TB free space)

Drive 5, 6, 7, 8: Blank

Looney, if I have existing data on the drives I'm adding, will the auto-space priority mode distribute existing data or should I do that on my own prior to starting a configuration.

Currently, I have mostly movies and shows on my drives and they are split like this:

Drive 1: Movies A-L (maybe 800GB free of 2.72TB)

Drive 2: Movies M-Z (maybe 800GB free of 2.72TB)

Drive 3: Shows (maybe 400GB free of 2.72TB)

Drive 4: Documents ( >1TB free space)

Drive 5, 6, 7, 8: Blank

It will not auto distribute existing data only newly added data.

it will merge folders of the same title.