im still going to school :p

Well I'm still at high school :P

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Hardware

CASE: Silverstone Precision PS08 Micro-ATX

PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk III 400W (80+ Bronze)

MB: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3

CPU: AMD Athlon II 170u (20W)

HS: Gelid Siberian something er other

RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333

RAID CARD: Using zfs RAID

SSD: 4GB USB thumb drive

HDD1: 5 X 3TB WD Red in RAID Z1 (12TB)

Software and Configuration:

I'm running freenas 8.3.0. It is plugged into a gigabit switch

Usage:

The NAS is mainly for movies and television series streaming to my HTPC. I have 3.5TB/12TB used in the array plus another 6TB of movies and tv shows on the htpc. I have a backup of my personal files roughly around 500 GB.

Additional info:

When the drives are active, the entire system of 5 drives, 2 fans and CPU run at a total of 75 W. On idle it will run at 69 W, in sleep it is a lot less.

Photos:

server4f.jpgserver3u.jpgfrontserver.jpgfreenas.jpgstoragee.jpg

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

So I have a question... where does one get a little rack on wheels like the one you have?

Also, I'll be able to make the list soon hopefully, I'm looking at getting a sas expander and 2-4 more 3tb wd reds to expand my raid 6 array, as well as an entirely separate rig to house it all in. 

This is where I got my rack https://ri-vier.eu/eton-22u-open-rack-5506001150-22u-et2005-p-198.html?cPath=66 , I do have wheels for it too, but I cant use them (destroying my floor), I got then (the wheels) from the same place, but I can seem to fine it on their website now.

Hardware

CASE: Silverstone Precision PS08 Micro-ATX

PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk III 400W (80+ Bronze)

MB: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3

CPU: AMD Athlon II 170u (20W)

HS: Gelid Siberian something er other

RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333

RAID CARD: Using onboard RAID

SSD: 4GB USB thumb drive

HDD1: 5 X 3TB WD Red in RAID Z1 (12TB)

I'm running freenas 8.3.0.  It is plugged into a gigabit switch

Usage:

The NAS is mainly for movies and television series streaming to my HTPC.  I have 3.5TB/12TB used in the array plus another 6TB of movies and tv shows on the htpc.  I have a backup of my personal files roughly around 500 GB.

Additional info:

When the drives are active, the entire system of 5 drives, 2 fans and CPU run at a total of 75 W.  On idle it will run at 69 W, in sleep it is a lot less.

Very nice build, i always like compact build, they always have nicer cable management.

I must say i's a bit jealous of the 75 W!

PS: your system will be listed as 15TB, RAID is not taken into consideration for the list.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

This is where I got my rack https://ri-vier.eu/eton-22u-open-rack-5506001150-22u-et2005-p-198.html?cPath=66 , I do have wheels for it too, but I cant use them (destroying my floor), I got then (the wheels) from the same place, but I can seem to fine it on their website now.

i was also thinking of getting that one, but im not sure the rails on my DL140G3 would fit.

and there is this one if you need wheels: https://ri-vier.eu/norco-15u-4-post-open-frame-steel-rack-r415u-p-194.html?cPath=66

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

I don't have 10+TB yet, but I still want to show off my home made NAS :D

You can find the full build log here.

Hardware

• Motherboard: ASUS P8H77-I
  • CPU: Pentium G465 (hoping to upgrade to an i5)
  • CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14
  • GPU: Radeon HD 6450
  • RAM: 2GB no brand DDR3 1066MHz
  • PSU: Corsair CX430M
  • Boot drive: Kinston SSDNow V+200 60GB
  • Storage drives: 3x2TB WDC Green
  • Case: K'nex revision 3.0

Total capacity: 6TB (raw), 4TB useable

Running Debian Squeeze headless. Right now, I have the drives configured as a software RAID1 + single drive, but I'm going to experiment with RAID5 starting today. I'm a bit concerned about write speeds. Then again, I read 50 times more than I write to the thing, so I don't know yet.

At the moment I'm running full disk encryption on all my data drives.

Usage:

Personal NAS, web server, cloud storage server, linux experiment box, [any other use cases I might end up trying]...

Right now, I have about 1.5TB of data on it (mostly media).

I'm going to start mining LiteCoins as an experiment at the end of this month (hence the GPU).

This thing sits in my bedroom and needs to be absolutely SILENT at night. That's why I put the giant Noctua cooler on there and that's why I put a Noctua fan inside my PSU. (link in signature)

Added something to the main post:

Noteworthy builds that didn't make the list:

This is where ill list builds that don't meet the requirements but are still noteworthy builds.

• MG2R 6TB K'nex case build.

Hardware
CASE: Fractal Design ARC midi

PSU: Corsair GS500

MB: Asus F1A75-M

APU: AMD A6 3500 2.1ghz triple core

RAM: Corsair 16gb kit 2x8gb 1333mhz

SAS HBA: IBM M1015, Flashed with "IT" firmware
SSD: Samsung 830 128gb (l2arc cache)

HDD: 6x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

HDD: 2x 500gb samsung

NIC: HP NC364T Quad port gbit

UPS: mge evolution 1550

SWITCH: Netgear GS748T (with silentmod)

RACK: Ikea Lackrack

My server is running ZFSguru. It is a freebsd based distribution just like nas4free.

My main storage is 6x3tb seagate in raidz2 So I have 12tb of netto storage. The 2x 500gb samsung is running zfs mirror, it is used for booting zfsguru and for torrent downloads.

Usage:
General home fileserver. I make a lot of youtube video's (5min is 1gb file)

Backup:
I back the important files to a 2tb wd mybook. And I have a 4TB usb3.0 hdd to make big backups (Is enough for now)

Photo's:

30384_458169524219480_273134869_n.jpg

32308_458169510886148_1387655109_n.jpg

734973_471065782929854_919142889_n.jpg

Video's:

Part: 1

Part: 2

Part: 3

ZFS hardware tutorial to use older HW

Your added to the list Victor, though i think you made a typo, you listed 5x 2TB in the first bit of the post 

edit: and you fixed it.

Hardware
CASE: Random 3U rackmount I dug out of a skip. To be replaced with a Norco
PSU: 600W whatever was in the case
MB: Intel DX58SO2
CPU: Intel Xeon L5520
HS: Stock Intel
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333 Corsair
RAID CARD 1: LSi 9260-8i
RAID CARD 2: LSi 9260-8i

SSD: Crucial C300 64GB SSD
HDD 1: 5x 2TB Seagete
HDD 2: 4x 1TB WD Black
HDD 3: 1x 1TB Seagate

NIC 1: Intel Gigabit Server Adapter

NIC 2: Emulex dual port 4GB FC Adapter

Server is running ESXI with:
Windows Home Server 2011 running an 8TB RAID 5 array of one LSI RAID Card

Solaris as a Fiber Channel target with on the 4TB RAID 0 Array

Server 2012/Ubuntu/Everything else for testing

Usage:
Main server is for media storage and backups

Fiber channel is for photos and other larger files I am working on

Backup:
Not yet. I want to incorporate crash plan or something for cloud backup.

Additional info:
About to be rebuilt. I want to build into a case with better cooling and hard drive mounting (half my hard drives are in cages on the floor next to the machine). I also want silence as it lives in my loft and is located above my bed.

Photo's:

I will provide photos when I can. Its a right mess at the moment.

Intel 3960X (5GHz), Asus P9X79 Pro, KFA2 GTX580 SLI, Asus D2X, 16GB Dominator Platinum (1866Mhz), Corsair 600T, Corsair AX1200

Hardware

CASE: Random 3U rackmount I dug out of a skip. To be replaced with a Norco

PSU: 600W whatever was in the case

MB: Intel DX58SO2

CPU: Intel Xeon L5520

HS: Stock Intel

RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333 Corsair

RAID CARD 1: LSi 9260-8i

RAID CARD 2: LSi 9260-8i

SSD: Crucial C300 64GB SSD

HDD 1: 5x 2TB Seagete

HDD 2: 4x 1TB WD Black

HDD 3: 1x 1TB Seagate

NIC 1: Intel Gigabit Server Adapter

NIC 2: Emulex dual port 4GB FC Adapter

Photo's:

I will provide photos when I can. Its a right mess at the moment.

Specs looks very nice Appleby, ill add your as 15TB to the list as soon as you post some photo's (quick photo will do, mine wont win any beauty prizes either) 

This is where I'll list builds that don't meet the requirements but are still noteworthy builds.

As per your request: I marked a correction in bold... I is capitalized in English. Also, there should be a ' between I and ll (I will --> I'll)

Thanks for the listing :)

As per your request: I marked a correction in bold... I is capitalized in English. Also, there should be a ' between I and ll (I will --> I'll)

Thanks for the listing :)

:D done, i knew the rules but i typed to quick without looking.

PS: The request was a PM :p

I'll take another look, though at the moment im happy with my LACK-RACK.

Hardware
CASE: Antec 1200 v3
PSU: Corsair AX750
MB: Biostar T-Series TA870U3+
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 255
HS: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro v2

RAM: 4GB

Flash Disk: Lexar 16GB
RAID CARD 1: SuperMicro SASLP-MV8
RAID CARD 2: RocketRAID 2300
RAID CARD 3: RocketRAID 2300

HDD 1-20: Various 2TB Seagate and WD 7200 RPM drives

Cache Drive: 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 3K3000
Parity Drive: 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 3K3000

Drive Cage 1: Icy Dock MB455SFP-B 5x3 drive cage

Drive Cage 2: Norco SS-500 5x3 drive cage

Drive Cage 3: SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1 5x3 drive cage

Drive Cage 4: iStarUSA BPU-350 5x3 drive cage

This system is running unRaid 5rc12. It is using unRaid software raid solution which is based on a Raid 4 design with a single parity disk.

The array has 20 drives in the array with a single parity drive and the additional cache drive drive to speed up writes to the array.

All this is handled by using 4 different models of 5x3 drive cages and three additional controller cards.

None of the controller cards run RAID configs, they are simply JBOD - unRaid itself manages RAID functions.

Usage:
I use the storage to centralize all the movies, telvision shows, music and picturres for all the systems in the house. Additionally backups of various sytems and user data is also stored on the system.
We have two media streamers, one HTPC and about 7-8 PC's all accessing the system.

Backup:
Critical data is backed up to a secondary unit offsite.

Additional info:
I wanted a low cost solution to provide for LOTS of storage and protection against a single drive failure. When building this unit up, I also took the opportunity to purchase 4 different 5x3 cages, which at the time, were the most talked about on the unRaid forums. I then also did reviews and comparison of the 4 units.

Photo's:

post-765-0-98393100-1370474932_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-53858800-1370474934_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-63619900-1370474936_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-18979700-1370475012.jpg

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Why yes, it is a cabling mess. :) If not for the fact I already have the 1200, a Norco 24 bay unit would have been the way to go, and much cheaper then all those drive cages...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Hardware

CASE: Antec 1200 v3

PSU: Corsair AX750

MB: Biostar T-Series TA870U3+

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 255

HS: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro v2

RAM: 4GB

Flash Disk: Lexar 16GB

RAID CARD 1: SuperMicro SASLP-MV8

RAID CARD 2: RocketRAID 2300

RAID CARD 3: RocketRAID 2300

HDD 1-20: Various 2TB Seagate and WD 7200 RPM drives

Cache Drive: 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 3K3000

Parity Drive: 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 3K3000

Drive Cage 1: Icy Dock MB455SFP-B 5x3 drive cage

Drive Cage 2: Norco SS-500 5x3 drive cage

Drive Cage 3: SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1 5x3 drive cage

Drive Cage 4: iStarUSA BPU-350 5x3 drive cage

Awesome, thank you very much Whaler_99, ill add it as 44TB with the new counting system (it says small cache drives don't count, 2TB is not small :P)

Why yes, it is a cabling mess. :) If not for the fact I already have the 1200, a Norco 24 bay unit would have been the way to go, and much cheaper then all those drive cages...

I looked at drive cages before i got my Norco and it would have been a lot more expensive to get those :P

EDIT: 1.000 views :p

Hardware
CASE: XClio Nighthawk
PSU: Cooler Master GX 550W
MB: Asus M4A78LT-M
CPU: AMD Sempron 140 2.7GHz (Unlocked to a Athlon II X2 440  :))
HS: Stock AMD heatsink
RAM: 2GB DDR3 1333
CONTROLLER CARD: Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 SAS Card
PARITY DISK: Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001

HDD 1: 2x 2TB Western Digital WD20EARS
HDD 2: 1x 2TB Western Digital WD20EARX
HDD 3: 1x 2TB Seagate ST2000DL001
HDD 4: 2x 1.5TB Samsung HD154UI
HDD 5: 2x 1.5TB Western Digital WD15EADS

HDD6 : 1x 1TB Samsung HD103UI

CACHE: 1x 160GB Western Digital WD1600AAJS

The box is running unRAID 5.0-beta14. Single parity disk protecting 9x array disks. Currently looking to downsize by replacing smaller disks with 3TB now that prices are starting to come down, just replaced the parity with a 3TB last weekend. Will need to wait until there are fewer moths in my wallet to continue though!

Usage:
Like most with these large arrays (if mine could be called that looking at Rudde's and Whaler's) I use it to hold all our movies and TV shows. It serves as the central point for these as well as being the central XBMC MySQL database for all the players/PCs in the house.

Backup:
No backup. Danger is my middle name  :lol: 

Additional info:
The box's name is Goliath to go along with David, my smaller 1TB CrashPlan and general PC backups server.

POWER CONSUMPTION:

Boot - 142W

All disks spun up - 135W

All disks spun down - 83W

Avg - 120W

1 disk spun up, 1080p MKV - 89W

Photos

DSC_0011_zpsfdad99b2.jpg

DSC_0012_zpsee12ea69.jpg

Before a cable tidy

DSC_0013_zps2ee1b428.jpg

After some cable tidying this morning (quite tricky to do anything with those SFF-8087 cables)

DSC_2687_zpse3336808.jpg

DSC_2689_zps3916e59e.jpg

Hardware

CASE: XClio Nighthawk

PSU: Cooler Master GX 550W

MB: Asus M4A78LT-M

CPU: AMD Sempron 140 2.7GHz (Unlocked to a Athlon II X2 440  :))

HS: Stock AMD heatsink

RAM: 2GB DDR3 1333

CONTROLLER CARD: Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 SAS Card

PARITY DISK: Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001

HDD 1: 2x 2TB Western Digital WD20EARS

HDD 2: 1x 2TB Western Digital WD20EARX

HDD 3: 1x 2TB Seagate ST2000DL001

HDD 4: 2x 1.5TB Samsung HD154UI

HDD 5: 2x 1.5TB Western Digital WD15EADS

HDD6 : 1x 1TB Samsung HD103UI

CACHE: 1x 160GB Western Digital WD1600AAJS

The box is running unRAID 5.0-beta14. Single parity disk protecting 9x array disks. Currently looking to downsize by replacing smaller disks with 3TB now that prices are starting to come down, just replaced the parity with a 3TB last weekend. Will need to wait until there are fewer moths in my wallet to continue though!

Additional info:

The box's name is Goliath to go along with David, my smaller 1TB CrashPlan and general PC backups server.

Thanks for the post cushy, ill add you to the list as 18TB (im excluding the 160GB, 18.16TB looks silly :P)

Also if its not to much trouble, could you post David (isnt that the HP micro server) it wont make the list but its a nice example for people who want to build something smaller. (though it can reach the 10TB mark when using large drives) I might list it in the noteworthy builds as its a very elegant solution for beginners who want a bit more then a simple NAS.

Are all those drive cages delivered standard with the case? Seems wierd: a case without dedicated 3.5" cages...

They are coolermaster 4in3 bays, very cheap and very nice.

Are all those drive cages delivered standard with the case? Seems wierd: a case without dedicated 3.5" cages...

As looney said there, they are Cooler Master 4-in-3 cages. They're quite inexpensive but you forgo hotswap abilities. For that you really need to invest quite a bit more cash, more than I wanted to anyway. I'm not sure if unRAID even supports hotswap and how often do you really need to swap out drives? They do the job nicely :)

The case came with 2 basic cages with removable drive sleds (rather flimsy) like this http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviewimages/xclio_nighthawk/13.jpg

The case came with 2 basic cages with removable drive sleds (rather flimsy) like this http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviewimages/xclio_nighthawk/13.jpg

Aha, I thought so :p They indeed look rather poor quality... Nice server!

Hardware
DEVICE: HP Proliant MicroServer N40L (off the shelf solution)
CPU: AMD Turion II Neo 1.5GHz
RAM: 2GB DDR3 1333 ECC
CONTROLLER CARD: Onboard 4-port SATA RAID controller (uses SFF-8087 connector to an internal backplane)
PARITY DISK: Seagate 1TB ST31000528AS

HDD 1: 1x 500GB Western Digital WD5000AAKS

HDD 2: 1x 500GB Seagate ST3500820AS

ADD-IN CARD: TBS 6981 Twin Tuner DVB-S2 Satellite TV Receiver

The box is running unRAID 5.0-rc11. Single parity disk protecting 2x array disks. It's a basic box but does what I need it to.

Usage:
This box serves a few different functions. It is where all the PCs in the house backup to using CrashPlan, it holds all of the backups of install files for several different apps that I have, Clonezilla images of a few of the PCs in the house, it holds the archive of my old iTunes library (now in Google Music) before I moved to Spotify. Lastly it DVRs and serves up satellite TV to whomever connects to it via XBMC. 

Kept powered on 24/7. Uptime is currently sitting at 14 days after a dust clean out.

Backup:
CrashPlan+ 

Additional info:
This box is the baby of the 2 I have. Its name is David to go along with Goliath, my larger 18TB media server.

POWER CONSUMPTION:

Boot - 85W

All disks spun up - 56W

All disks spun down - 50W

Avg - 64W

1 disk spun up, 1GB network file transfer - 54W

Photos

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Lockable

DSC_0010.jpg

Compact little unit with all of the drive screws as well as tool stored in the door. Motherboard is removable too, using the 2x blue thumbscrews, for installing components.

DSC_0012.jpg

Included coldswap drive sleds

DSC_0014.jpg

Internal USB port that I use to boot the server.

DSC_0018.jpg

The 2x coaxial inputs on the PCI-E satellite card

DSC_2704_zps9520e54c.jpg