Insane Compact NAS 2014 - 48TB of Network-attached Storage

Post it here @LinusTech @Slick and we'll love you forever <3

I'm pretty sure it says somewhere deep inside the rules that you have to post your storage solution personally before you can be added to the list. *hint* *hint*

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini

I love looking at this thread/topic, cannot wait to build a server next year, planning on going straight to 40TB, currently have 7.2TB in my gaming system and been having to keep deleting things I want to keep due to constantly running out of space, looking forward to be able to get those HDDs out of my gaming pc and into a server.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

I'm pretty sure it says somewhere deep inside the rules that you have to post your storage solution personally before you can be added to the list. *hint* *hint*

huh? Im on the list... and my post of it is on page 1 of the thread.

huh? Im on the list... and my post of it is on page 1 of the thread.

Sorry I thought I made my post clear enough. I wasn't talking about your storage solution. I was talking to @LinusTech and @Slick, that they would have to personally post the system to be able to join the list, or I was at least referring to rule specifying this (possibly a made-up rule).

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini

• 2 weeks later...

Hardware

NOTE: I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HARDWARE COMBINATION THE RAID CARD WAS A LITTLE PARTICULAR ABOUT THE OS

IF YOU WANT TO USE THIS RAID CARD I WOULD RECOMMEND USING A INTEL MOBO AND CHECKING THE COMPATIBILITY LIST

THIS WAS MY MAJOR ISSUE WITH THIS BUILD !

CASE:  Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey

PSU:  CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W 80 PLUS GOLD

MB: ASUS P8B-X LGA 1155 Intel 
CPU:  Intel Xeon E3-1230 Sandy Bridge 3.2GHz LGA 1155 80W
HS: Stock intel (yes i know this is the worst sin ever but ohh well)
RAM: Kingston Technology ValueRAM 32GB Kit of 4 (4 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600MHz PC3 12800 ECC
RAID CARD 1:  Intel RAID SAS/SATA 8 internal port w/ 512MB cache memory
HDD 0 5 of Seagate Barracuda 3 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s in raid 5 [15TB actual][10 usable]
HDD Hot Swap Bays:  ICY DOCK FlexCage MB973SP-1B Tray-less 3x3.5

Software and Configuration:
This is my ESXI host for those who do not know this is a tier 2 hypervisor put out by VMware!
This allows me to run virtual machines
That host my full time services and allows me to play around with a couple different machines

Usage:
This host my web server, Voice server, and Irc server which is all linux based setup and my storage and backup machine running windows 8.1

Photos:

post-924-0-24825700-1416818314.jpg

More Photos to come

post-924-0-24825700-1416818314.jpg

- update -

- update -

Sorry for the delay, finally got around to updating your entries. :)

I love looking at this thread/topic, cannot wait to build a server next year, planning on going straight to 40TB, currently have 7.2TB in my gaming system and been having to keep deleting things I want to keep due to constantly running out of space, looking forward to be able to get those HDDs out of my gaming pc and into a server.

Sounds somewhat familiar, looking forward to your entry then. :D

- update -

Updated. thumb.gif

- new entry -

Added to list, welcome to the club!

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Here is my second NAS.  It's configured with 32TB raw space.

Hardware:

Software:

• ZFS

• Samba

Usage:

• Backups, Movie repository, Music repository, learning.

Backup:

• None at the moment but possibly Crashplan at some point.

Additional Info:

CPU/MB/RAM

I decided to go with a full socket 1150 motherboard vs some of those Intel Atom setups that are popular. I found a combo deal on newegg which combined the Supermicro X10SL7-F-O and an Intel Xeon E3-1270V3 (Haswell). I added 16GB (2 x 8GB) of ECC RAM and I plan to increase that to 32GB shortly which is why I listed 32GB in the build list below. I decided to go with a bit more CPU power than I originally planned because I wanted to be able to give enough to ZFS and still use some extra for processing other work in the future. I'll be running some kind of Samba/NFS/CIFS to transport data to other systems in my house. I also plan to run some media server components once I've digitized movies into this NAS.

The supermicro board sold this config for me. I did a lot of reading and research on popular configs, and this board won me over. It comes with a built-in LSI 2308 adapter giving me 8 SAS 6/Gb ports plus the 6 built-in ports on the motherboard. The LSI adapter works in IT mode making it so I don't have to configure all the drives as 8 x RAID 0 to get the OS to see them. Basically they're all just JBOD. All the drives were seen right away through the OS and it was painless. When I priced out other configurations they were more expensive and more quirky than this setup. The X10SL7-F-O also comes with a full IPMI 2.0 BMC for easy remote management (and it works awesome). There are 3 x 1Gb NICs out the back which one of them is for the BMC. I can eventually team the two non-BMC NICs with my layer 2 switch to play with higher amounts of concurrency.

Case

After a long search for the right case for me, I chose the Rosewill L4411. It's an interesting mix of of good space, decent quantity of hotswap bays, good cooling, and relatively low price. The case comes with 3 x 120mm fans, 2x 80mm fans, 12 x SATA cables, front dust filter, and a metal locking front panel. It's very roomy inside and can even be rack-mounted if needed. With everything installed and running, the case if very quiet. I'd have no issue putting this on my desk next to me if I wanted. The drives seem to be cooled very well by the 3 x 120mm fans. I posted temps a bit further down in my post. The one negative I've seen with this case is that the hotswap bays won't recognize the Samsung 850 Pro SSD drives. This isn't a huge issue because I wasn't originally planning to mount them in the bays, but it was a surprise none the less. All info I read said the hotswap bays were simple pass-through. The SSDs are free-floating at the moment but I plan to mount them with sticky velcro for simplicity.

HDDs

I chose to go with 8 x HGST 4TB NAS for this build. I've had good luck with these in other builds and I've seen other decent reviews of them. I may decide to max out the bays on my case and add 4 more to the config down the road. If I decide to grow this larger than 12 drives, I'll look into replacing the case. That will also mean adding another adapter into the x8 PCIe 3.0 slot which gives me further expansion if needed.

SSDs

I imagine several of you will likely question the reason I added two higher-end Samsun 850 Pro SSDs to a NAS device. I did this to experiment with various things. The 128GB SSD is being used as a boot drive for now and I'll likely use it to stage other media-related work. The 256GB SSD is intended to experiment with a ZFS SLOG and also an L2ARC configuration for ZFS. It's way too big for a SLOG, but the L2ARC could take advantage of the size. Both are likely not needed in my home environment but I'm using it to learn/experiment. I chose the Samsung 850 Pro because of the increased durability and 10-year warranty. Given the nature of L2ARC and SLOG, it will possibly have more IO than normal going through it so I decided to go with a more-durable drive.

Power supply

I went with Seasonic in a 650W 80 plus gold for this build. This will give me decent efficiency and some room to grow. It's a bit overkill; I know.

OS

I'm going to play around with the OS but for now I chose Xubuntu 14.04.1 LTS 64-bit since I'm familiar with it. It may not be the best option but I'd like to experiment and find out for myself before putting this into full production in my house.

Pictures:

post-165974-0-17058000-1417575402_thumb.

post-165974-0-28380300-1417575403_thumb.

post-165974-0-65045900-1417575673_thumb.

post-165974-0-62276000-1417575401.jpg

Workstation 1: Intel i7 4790K | Thermalright MUX-120 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | 32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 9-9-9-27 ( 4 x 8GB) | 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HGST 4TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 2 x HGST 6TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 1 x Samsung 1TB 7.2KRPM | Seasonic 1050W 80+ Gold | Fractal Design Define R4 | Win 8.1 64-bit
NAS 1: Intel Intel Xeon E3-1270V3 | SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O | 32GB RAM DDR3L ECC (8GBx4) | 12 x HGST 4TB Deskstar NAS | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256GB (boot/OS) | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 128GB (ZIL + L2ARC) | Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold | Rosewill RSV-L4411 | Xubuntu 14.10

Notebook: Lenovo T500 | Intel T9600 | 8GB RAM | Crucial M4 256GB

[snip]

[snip]

CPU/MB/RAM

I decided to go with a full socket 1150 motherboard vs some of those Intel Atom setups that are popular. I found a combo deal on newegg which combined the Supermicro X10SL7-F-O and an Intel Xeon E3-1270V3 (Haswell). I added 16GB (2 x 8GB) of ECC RAM and I plan to increase that to 32GB shortly which is why I listed 32GB in the build list below. I decided to go with a bit more CPU power than I originally planned because I wanted to be able to give enough to ZFS and still use some extra for processing other work in the future. I'll be running some kind of Samba/NFS/CIFS to transport data to other systems in my house. I also plan to run some media server components once I've digitized movies into this NAS....

[snip]

Not sure if the crucial's you got would have the same issue, but for me the difference was the "TS" in kingston modules that caused minor issues.

Tests and runs fine but can get issues on specify memory intensive applications.  In my case it was a vbox VM and couldn't get it past 8GB (of 16 available).  Other apps and tests ran fine for over two years for two systems.  The third system, I got verified memory, and been running 32GB since mid last year 24/7 with a handful of VM's.  I run the X9's of the supermicro boards.

For Kingston your board also requires that "ts" , but then again your not using kingston.

My Rigs (past and present)

- snip -

Nice, added to list. thumb.gif

I did not know HGST had brought out a NAS version of the Deskstar series.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Not sure if the crucial's you got would have the same issue, but for me the difference was the "TS" in kingston modules that caused minor issues.

Tests and runs fine but can get issues on specify memory intensive applications.  In my case it was a vbox VM and couldn't get it past 8GB (of 16 available).  Other apps and tests ran fine for over two years for two systems.  The third system, I got verified memory, and been running 32GB since mid last year 24/7 with a handful of VM's.  I run the X9's of the supermicro boards.

For Kingston your board also requires that "ts" , but then again your not using kingston.

I read a lot of feedback in various forums about issues using certain Kingston RAM DIMMs in the specific Supermicro board I chose.  From what it sounds like you've also  seen or heard of similar issues in your supermicro X9 boards.  The Crucial RAM I selected had multiple people reporting success with my specific board so I kind of used that as my compass for ECC RAM support.  So far I've had no problems but I also haven't done tons of full RAM stress testing.  I plan to upgrade the RAM to 32GB in the future but for now it runs fine with 16GB.  It's mainly for ZFS support but I plan to do some video compression on this machine while I digitize my DVD/Bluray library.

Workstation 1: Intel i7 4790K | Thermalright MUX-120 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | 32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 9-9-9-27 ( 4 x 8GB) | 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HGST 4TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 2 x HGST 6TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 1 x Samsung 1TB 7.2KRPM | Seasonic 1050W 80+ Gold | Fractal Design Define R4 | Win 8.1 64-bit
NAS 1: Intel Intel Xeon E3-1270V3 | SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O | 32GB RAM DDR3L ECC (8GBx4) | 12 x HGST 4TB Deskstar NAS | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256GB (boot/OS) | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 128GB (ZIL + L2ARC) | Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold | Rosewill RSV-L4411 | Xubuntu 14.10

Nice, added to list. thumb.gif

I did not know HGST had brought out a NAS version of the Deskstar series.

Thanks alpenwasser.  So far I've been very happy with these drives.  Time will tell if they hold up.

Quick question.  Is it worth me posting my other custom built NAS to this thread?  It's older but it's still 8 x 1.5 TB (12 TB raw) that meets the 10+TB requirement.  It's a separate dedicated storage device like the one I just posted.

Quick question.  Is it worth me posting my other custom built NAS to this thread?  It's older but it's still 8 x 1.5 TB (12 TB raw) that meets the 10+TB requirement.  It's a separate dedicated storage device like the one I just posted.

Definitely, go right ahead! :)

Here is my second NAS.  It's configured with 32TB raw space.

Nice choice of drives!

Full disclosure: I work for HGST

SSD Firmware Engineer

| Dual Boot Linux Mint and W8.1 Pro x64 with rEFInd Boot Manager | Intel Core i7-4770k | Corsair H100i | ASRock Z87 Extreme4 | 32 GB (4x8gb) 1600MHz CL8 | EVGA GTX970 FTW+ | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo |250GB Samsung 840 Evo | 3x1Tb HDD | 4 LG UH12NS30 BD Drives | LSI HBA | Corsair Carbide 500R Case | Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate | Logitech M510 Mouse | Corsair Vengeance 2100 Wireless Headset | 4 Monoprice Displays - 3x27"4k bottom, 27" 1440p top | Logitech Z-2300 Speakers |

Nice choice of drives!

Now if only I could find some of those HGST NAS drives in my country... :D

Nice choice of drives!

Thanks!  Keep up the good work.  ;-)

My ranking is making me sad.... a year ago I was 14th, now im 34th..... Time to buys some more drives. :D

Yes, yes, buying drives...

excellent.jpg

Yes, yes, buying drives...

excellent.jpg

Is AW working for Seagate or WD's marketing team? :o We'll never know :lol: I kid.

More drives = more better. Better for everyone. 10/10 agree.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Is AW working for Seagate or WD's marketing team? :o We'll never know :lol: I kid.

More drives = more better. Better for everyone. 10/10 agree.

Hopefully WD's!

I need to buy me some WD's, but I can't bring myself to get rid of perfectly good Seagate drives.

SSD Firmware Engineer

| Dual Boot Linux Mint and W8.1 Pro x64 with rEFInd Boot Manager | Intel Core i7-4770k | Corsair H100i | ASRock Z87 Extreme4 | 32 GB (4x8gb) 1600MHz CL8 | EVGA GTX970 FTW+ | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo |250GB Samsung 840 Evo | 3x1Tb HDD | 4 LG UH12NS30 BD Drives | LSI HBA | Corsair Carbide 500R Case | Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate | Logitech M510 Mouse | Corsair Vengeance 2100 Wireless Headset | 4 Monoprice Displays - 3x27"4k bottom, 27" 1440p top | Logitech Z-2300 Speakers |

Hopefully WD's!

I need to buy me some WD's, but I can't bring myself to get rid of perfectly good Seagate drives.

Honestly, even though I only have WD drives in my server at the moment (and am

indeed happy with them so far), I don't really care too much about which brand

of HDDs are in my machines as long as they get the job done. ;)

I think the minimum amount of storage should  raise as you can get 8TD dirt cheap now.

HTID