FCC to AT&T/Verison. No, 4mbps is not enough.

zushiba

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/09/sorry-att-and-verizon-4mbps-isnt-fast-enough-for-broadband/

At a hearing yesterday in front of the US House Committee on Small Business FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler says 4mpbs/1mbps isn't enough to constitute broadband and is proposing a change to at least 10mpbs down and possibly more than 1mbps up. However the actual proposal (warning PDF) states 10/1

I personally know several people in well developed areas of California that are unable to get a physical connection period.

From the article:

The FCC is examining whether it should preempt state laws that make it hard for cities and towns to compete against private Internet service providers. The commission is also preparing new network neutrality rules. Consumer advocates have called upon the FCC to reclassify broadband as a "Title II" common carrier service, opening Internet service up to utility-style regulation. The FCC asked the public to weigh in on Title II as part of its net neutrality proceeding but hasn't gone so far as to say that it will reclassify ISPs.

"Title II is very much a topic of conversation and on the table and something we specifically asked for comment on," Wheeler told the House committee.

The FCC received 3.7 million comments about a tentative net neutrality proposal. The commenting period is over, but the FCC hasn't said yet when it will propose final rules.

even though the fcc chairman is basically a pawn i have a feeling that the fcc might actually go the right way on this one. and even though im in the uk things like this benefit the world

10 is "ok"

guys from the US ,is 10 enough for 1080p on netflix ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

10 is "ok"

Netflix 1080p is ~7Mbps so 10Mbps should be enough.

i think even 10mbps is kinda slow when you think that a lot of people watch full hd content on the internet and a lot of games are bought online. I wouldn't want to wait 8-9 hours to download a 30GB game which isn't a size that is that uncommon these days anymore

I'm so tired of at&ts pricing structure and monopoly in our area.

Doesn't matter, IMO, if the feds change the definition to 10 up and 1 down, the communications companies will just adjust to meet it and charge more for it.

And it would be a while before I saw a positive result from it, since I doubt we have the infrastructure here to support it.

I just wish someone would make century link stop randomly deciding I've used enough connection and make me wait 5 minutes to load a youtube video.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

10 is "ok"

If you do literally nothing else and actually get advertised speeds.

Meanwhile on my 2M/725k  connection...

uhh... yeah... 4M is not enough...

(I really need to get out of this country... the sooner the better...)

10 is "ok"

mine is rated at 15 down and 2 up, but usually only get about 11 down, netflix looks good, at this speed we can either stream an HD video(netflix, YT, etc) or game, but not both at the same time.

Rock On!

10 is "ok"

It's more than enough. I think 3 would be fine just for Netflix tbh, but that wouldn't leave much room for anything else, which is why I also think it's not enough.

We should all have access to gigabit Internet by now.

should be minimum 10/5, and all upload should be half of the download. tired of these really messed up asymetric connections where the download is decent but upload is next to nothing.

Me and my roommate cant play BF4 at the same time with connection we have in MTL -_- and we are capted at 160gb per month for 4 people... We consumed 260gb in 18 days right now and 5$/25gb...

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

for someone who lives in a household of 10 people like me, I would say 10mbps is okay for a minimum standard.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Well thank you FCC (Tom Wheeler) for not f*** this up. Maybe because he tired of slow Internet connect to Netflix of in his office.

4K means ~20mbps per device. Proper broadband considering YT is 4k Ready and is about to go 60FPS means we will need 50mbps+ per household within 3-4 years to power 2-3 devices simultaneously even at 1080/1440 @ 60. I had 20mbps 4 years ago, and they want to cut it in half?

Reality will hit those poor bastards sooner than they think.

I feel sorry for US.

It should be 25 down 10 up at this point as basic.

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

Just chillin here with my 120mbs internet and LOLing at people with slow internet.

Just kidding.  I used to have 8mbs internet and I feel your pain.

i think my 50/25 is slow :D

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015