How bad can magnets affect my components?

IAmAndre
Go to solution Solved by ManWithBeard1990,

Hard drives contain very powerful magnets themselves. They are the neodymium magnets that the voice coils in the seek arm act upon. A magnetic screwdriver will not damage a hdd. Not sure on the pickup tool but it's probably fine as long as you don't get too close. All other components will be unaffected by magnetic fields.

Hi,

I just got a "magnetic pick-up tool" that should be helpful in picking screws or stuff like that are stuck in my PC case. However, I'm afraid that the attraction is too strong, as in the box it says that it can support up to 5lb (2.2kg). Is it too strong for the motherboard and the other components.

Thanks

I just use a magnetic screwdriver (Cos the tip is small)

Dunno about your tool, I have one I know how big the ends can be... Dunno if I'd be doing it myself... prob not.

However... Google "How to magnetize a screwdriver"

Easy as punching a nun on Sunday

/I do not condone punching Nuns on Sunday

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Hard drives contain very powerful magnets themselves. They are the neodymium magnets that the voice coils in the seek arm act upon. A magnetic screwdriver will not damage a hdd. Not sure on the pickup tool but it's probably fine as long as you don't get too close. All other components will be unaffected by magnetic fields.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

You might corrupt a floppy drive if that helps.

Just LOL'd in the middle of my study hall from that comment.

Case: NZXT Tempest 410 Elite =Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 =CPU: Phenom II 965 x4 @ 4ghz(OC) =Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO =Memory: G.Skill RipjawX 8Gbs CL8 @1600mhz =PSU: Corsair CX-600w =GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950*windforce 3Gb* =Sound: Creative SB0770 =HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB =Keyboard: Razer Black Widow *Standard* =Mouse: Perixx MX-2000 =MousePad: Razer Sphex