Diablo II: HD Edition

SnowGhost1212

Hi all,

I have recently been playing through Diablo II again. This time in HD, and it's AWESOME!!! I thought I'd share how to do so with all of you guys.

Note: This is not an official "remake" it is a mod applied to Diablo II to make it look heaps better.

Instructions:

1. Download/Buy and Install Diablo II and the expansion Lord of Destruction (if you dont own LoD see notes). Make sure you don't update to latest version and you select DirectDraw not 3D effects when it does video configuration.
  2. Update to version 1.12a by downloading these files http://www.gamershell.com/news_53120.html and running the executables within the downloaded archives.
  3. Download D2MuliRes from here: http://www.moddb.com/games/diablo-2/downloads/d2multires-version-102 and install by copying the contents of the archive directly into your Diablo II install directory.
  4. Launch the game using D2MultiResGame.exe, once you have created a character press escape > video options > resolution and change it your desired resolution.
  5. Enjoy!!!

Notes:

NOTE 1 - Multiplayer: If you wish to play Diablo II with a friend you must use a client such as Evolve or Hamachi as Battle.net required the use of the latest version of Diablo II which is incompatible with the HD Mod.

NOTE 3 - Compatibilty Mode: If you are having trouble running Diablo II try this: right click the executable > properties > compatibility tab, run in compatibility mode for Windows 98 or Windows XP S3, also tick run as Admin.

NOTE 2 - LoD: Also, if you do not own the expansion, Lord of Destruction, you can use these instructions to use the mod anyway.

Firstly run the D2MultiResGame exe that comes with the patch. It should start the game and generate a log file. You can't change the res in-game in a non-LoD Diablo II install because there is no resolution button, so exit the game. Look in the D2MultiResLog.txt log file (in your Diablo II folder). It should have a bunch of resolutions it found. Something like this...

Added Display Mode: 10: 640 x 480
Added Display Mode: 11: 1280 x 800
Added Display Mode: 12: 1280 x 960
Added Display Mode: 13: 1280 x 1024
Added Display Mode: 14: 1680 x 1050
Added Display Mode: 15: 1920 x 1080

See the number after "Mode:". Remember the number for the resolution you want to run it in. For me I wanted to run it 1920x1080, so 15 was my number.

Run regedit, search for "D2RMRes". Its parent folder should be "Diablo II". Change its value to that number you remembered. The number is a decimal number. Close regedit, and rerun the D2MultiResGame exe. Once you get into the game itself, you should have your nice new resolution.

Screenshots:

sbOK9lR.jpg?1

d2multiresgame201105122.jpg

I hope you enjoy the game,

SnowGhost

So close, but yet so far....

Everything becomes so small...

I still need to get around to re-installing Diablo II LOD on my computer...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

So close, but yet so far....

Everything becomes so small...

I still need to get around to re-installing Diablo II LOD on my computer...

I kinda prefer it being so zoomed out, also you can adjust resolution for a happy mid point if you wish.

Can I still play on battlenet with this HD mod?

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

Far as I know, Blizzard would probably ban you for using this online. Don't know why, it'd probably be better if the re-released it and gave us far more resolution options.

Yeah.. Diablo 2 LoD HD Edition, imagine that bro :wub:

Even if Diablo 3 would be just Diablo 2 with updated graphics I would pay for it like it was brand new.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

Played for 7 hours straight and then my save got corrupted. Also Blizzard wouldn't give me a new key even though I had the disk.

I wish I could get the game to work. It's awesome.

I can be a cynical a**hole at times. I apologize if I cause any offence at those time. I also occasionally have issues communicating my point. Extreme introversion + Photographic memory + Some other things.

Desktop: i5-4670k - 8gb 1600MHz - MSI 7850

Laptop: i7-4810QM - GTX 870m - 8gb RAM

Can I still play on battlenet with this HD mod?

If you read the notes etc it states that no you cannot because the latest patch (1.13) is not compatible with the HD mod and is required for multiplayer. Also, the mod increases the amount you see and therefor it is not allowed. However if you wish to play multiplayer you can use VPN software (see notes).

DO WANT

My (first) build: i7 4790k | Noctua NH-U14S + NF-A15 | Gigabyte Z97X-SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate 2TB SSHD | 2x MSI R9 270X TwinFrozr crossfire | Seasonic G Series 750W 80+ Gold | Asus VX238H 23" | GAMDIAS HERMES | Logitech G602 | Steelseries QcK | Windows 8.1

This or torchlight2?

They're both amazing. This IMO is better and an absolute classic but they are both great games. Also I have Torchlight II mod you might want to check out when you play it (It's called GEM+, Game Enhancement Modification). However, if you want to play online I recommend Torchlight II over Diablo II as this mod will not work with Battle.net multiplayer.

Played for 7 hours straight and then my save got corrupted. Also Blizzard wouldn't give me a new key even though I had the disk.

I wish I could get the game to work. It's awesome.

Really? I've encountered this problem before, they just gave me a new key without hassle

Check out Path of Exile! It's pretty much Diablo 2 with a lot better character building. 

Oh the memories... "Stay a while and listen..."

But ultimately no, some doors cannot be reopened once they have been closed sadly.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Hi all,

I have recently been playing through Diablo II again. This time in HD, and it's AWESOME!!! I thought I'd share how to do so with all of you guys.

Instructions:

Notes:

NOTE 1 - Multiplayer: If you wish to play Diablo II with a friend you must use a client such as Evolve or Hamachi as Battle.net required the use of the latest version of Diablo II which is incompatible with the HD Mod.

NOTE 3 - Compatibilty Mode: If you are having trouble running Diablo II try this: right click the executable > properties > compatibility tab, run in compatibility mode for Windows 98 or Windows XP S3, also tick run as Admin.

NOTE 2 - LoD: Also, if you do not own the expansion, Lord of Destruction, you can use these instructions to use the mod anyway.

Screenshots:

sbOK9lR.jpg?1

d2multiresgame201105122.jpg

I hope you enjoy the game,

SnowGhost

They've been sooo lazy, they didnt bother to re-render anything just the original game zoomed out a bit.

disappointed

good game but bad hd remake.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

They've been sooo lazy, they didnt bother to re-render anything just the original game zoomed out a bit.

disappointed

good game but bad hd remake.

This is not an official remake by Blizzard. This is a modification made by a fan for the original Diablo 2.