DSLR Buying Guide

DoubleY

Yeah that's what I thought as well. This guide seems to essentially shit on the kit lenses while pretty much every other source I have read says that kit lenses are pretty good.

Obviously they have some drawbacks but for someone reading this guide to start out, it will be a very good lens for most situations. Then again, maybe it's good to word it like OP because it helps get across the idea that lenses are very important. I know/have seen people who only use the kit lens which obviously isn't good either.

the downside on kitlenses is that you kinda need to have a feel for it,  atleast that is the diffrence i found between me starting out with kitlens and me going back to a kitlens with a bit more experience, they are good but not as good as it gets.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

just started watching donbowerphoto https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNy_3PM5yQVt4Pim-Q1kZwA

he might be of use here because he has personal experience of Nikon vs canon vs panasonic vs gopro

he seems to like his gh4 as his home camera but used a 5d3 as his main shooter for work because it has a better noise floor, he used to have Nikon but swapped to panny because of cost and weight. He also vlogs about exercise and uses his gopro in that context

kate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hey what about the 550d or even 600d i know they seem low end but for someone just starting if they bought the body then got a decent lens with it for say around £600 maybe ?

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

• 4 weeks later...

hey what about the 550d or even 600d i know they seem low end but for someone just starting if they bought the body then got a decent lens with it for say around £600 maybe ?

I started with a nikon d40 bottom of the barrel in terms of DSLRs if you know nothing about photography a bottom end camera will be ok for you, I shot with my d40 for 6 years.  I cant speak for the canons you mentioned mind you.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I can +1 on the 600D (We call it a T3i here, heh) I don't own one, but I have a lot of experience using it due to the fact that the school has one. Great camera for starting out and even intermediate... MUCH better than the T3 that I own...

To be honest, any Canon DSLR that I know of is "beginner-ready" as long as you do research and learn before buying it. the "beginner" DSLRs are just dumbed down versions with a very vague help menu for each mode. 

What about the rebel t5? :P

What I've found from my comparison is that the T5 and T5i are just rebranded newer versions of the T3 and T3i. I'd say step up to a t5i, you won't regret it. The amount of features and usability you get for that much more is really worth it later on.

Sawwy for double post...

Well i have the D3300 and i must say that at this pricepoint i am impressed :P even with the standard lens the quality is not bad here are 2 video examples :

You might notice a small distortion on the first video :/ it is because of the cheapo lens that come with the camera :P 18-55mm

By the way i was thinking of making an overview of the case after one year :P you know scratches and stuff and see it's durability in time ;)

I really wanted to start reviewing stuff and this might be my start :D 

• 7 months later...

Hi guys, I have a bit of prior experience with a range of cameras. Used a few different dslr's in my time belonging to famoly members. but never really given photography a good shot (excuse the pun :P). What would be a decent DSLR for me to buy that I won't want to upgrade too soon. I would rather it take me a while yo get to grips with than want to upgrade in a couple monts. considering picking one up second hand or if new then $600 is my budget area. Cheers

snip

You can buy any brand new entry level camera (not a compact or point&shoot) by Sony, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, etc. and it will last you a few years.  Or you can buy a refurbished/second-hand camera from about 1-2 generations ago and it will also last you a few years.

It all depends on what you want to do and what features you need.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

You can buy any brand new entry level camera (not a compact or point&shoot) by Sony, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, etc. and it will last you a few years. Or you can buy a refurbished/second-hand camera from about 1-2 generations ago and it will also last you a few years.

It all depends on what you want to do and what features you need.

I don't need anything fancy but a slightly older generation model second hand might be worth it. What would you reccomend ?

I don't need anything fancy but a slightly older generation model second hand might be worth it. What would you reccomend ?

Something like a Nikon D3x00 or D5x00 series, or a Sony A5000 series or older NEX mirrorless if you can find any, or Canon 500D to 750D models.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

• 1 month later...

I've got the Nikon D5300 sitting in my Amazon cart right now - anybody have any experience with that model? I've been told it is fantastic.

Follow me on Twitch! - Twitch.TV/PedenPants

Gaming Rig

Core i7-6800k @ 4.0 GHZ | 16 GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | WD Black NVMe 256 GB | WD Blue 1 TB | Acer 24" 144 HZ XFA240 | ASUS STRIX GTX 1070 8 GB

Streaming Rig - Dell Inspiron i7559

15.6" 1920x1080 | Intel Core i5-6300HQ @ 3.2GHZ | 16 GB DDR3-12800 | 256 GB SSD | Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB

1 hour ago, Tearitup said:

I've got the Nikon D5300 sitting in my Amazon cart right now - anybody have any experience with that model? I've been told it is fantastic.

I dont have one personally, but I have m8s that shoot with it and I have had chances to use it and I can tell you that it is a great camera :D

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

3 hours ago, Tearitup said:

If you need a camera that's "fantastic" in order to produce photos that look nice, I guess you ain't much of a photographer.

But yes, to answer your question: when it comes to photography, Nikon cameras tend to be good.  I personally prefer them over Canon or Sony for various reasons, and it hasn't anything to do with what other people call "sensor technology" or "image quality".  Image quality depends on my skill as a photographer, not the camera.

5 hours ago, ALwin said:

... Image quality depends on my skill as a photographer, not the camera.

And arguably the lens, at least in my opinion, or at least knowing and utilising each lens' particular strengths and weaknesses.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

19 hours ago, ALwin said:

If you need a camera that's "fantastic" in order to produce photos that look nice, I guess you ain't much of a photographer.

But yes, to answer your question: when it comes to photography, Nikon cameras tend to be good.  I personally prefer them over Canon or Sony for various reasons, and it hasn't anything to do with what other people call "sensor technology" or "image quality".  Image quality depends on my skill as a photographer, not the camera.

When did I say I was a photographer? Lol

Follow me on Twitch! - Twitch.TV/PedenPants

Gaming Rig

Core i7-6800k @ 4.0 GHZ | 16 GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | WD Black NVMe 256 GB | WD Blue 1 TB | Acer 24" 144 HZ XFA240 | ASUS STRIX GTX 1070 8 GB

Streaming Rig - Dell Inspiron i7559

15.6" 1920x1080 | Intel Core i5-6300HQ @ 3.2GHZ | 16 GB DDR3-12800 | 256 GB SSD | Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB

• 4 months later...

whats ur guys opinion on the a5000 as a buget camera for macro shots

4 hours ago, AmazingAlexE said:

I have the big brother a6000. My advice: Its a great mirrorless if paired with the proper lenses. The stock lenses are fairly mediocre, maybe also look into an e-mount adapter to use other lenses with the camera, but you'll lose some functionality like AF, phase detection (IIRC) depending on the adapter and lens used.

Some of sony's own E-mount lenses are actually fairly decent, and they have A to E mount adapters.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

5 hours ago, AmazingAlexE said:

The lens matters more than the camera body.  And it's spelled "your" and "budget", not "ur" or "buget".

• 1 month later...
On 21 juli 2016 at 5:23 PM, AmazingAlexE said:

You would want a macro lens then. If I remember right the E mount has two macro lenses. A 90mm that is quite expenisve and then there is a 35mm macro that is said to be pretty good. As for the A5000 I would say its very good for the price. I have one and I'm quite satisfied with it. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

• 4 months later...

I'm going to buy a new camera in the new year. I know GH5 will be available in March or later. Maybe I can't wait. And I don't really think about spending too much money on the camera body. So what do you think to buy a new GH4 body now ?not second-hand. 
I want to shot some daylight photos and fragment like 4K video,  with some Depth of field and Wide-angle. What lens should I use? 
I have 1500USD. sorry for many questions but I am a Green hand about camera. thank you very much. happy new year Although it is a bit early.

9 hours ago, ACGVIEWER said:

I'm going to buy a new camera in the new year. I know GH5 will be available in March or later. Maybe I can't wait. And I don't really think about spending too much money on the camera body. So what do you think to buy a new GH4 body now ?not second-hand. 
I want to shot some daylight photos and fragment like 4K video,  with some Depth of field and Wide-angle. What lens should I use? 
I have 1500USD. sorry for many questions but I am a Green hand about camera. thank you very much. happy new year Although it is a bit early.

The GH4 is a good camera.  But have you also looked at other options?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

8 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

The GH4 is a good camera.  But have you also looked at other options?

Thank you for answering my question. I took a fancy to GH4 because of its 4K video. Perhaps even cheaper G7 can get good results. And they all need a SPEEDBOOSTER.

the SONY A7S2 is the best, but too Expensive. I don't know anything about the camera lens. the lens is my big problem.

I think G7 and GH4 has a same quality in 4K video. So I am just looking for a setup, can shoot 4K video and not much Expensive. 

I am in Japan now, so maybe the camera is a bit cheaper than other regions. maybe I also need a ND filter.

I don't know what about these ?

Panasonic GH4 + SPEEDBOOSTER + LEN

Panasonic G7 or G8 + SPEEDBOOSTER + LEN

Canon 80D + LEN