GTX 980 & 970 Benchmarks!

louddifference

pretty much this ^, although GK110 and Hawaii are basically a few watts apart anyway. Considering how dense an AMD gpu die is packed, its a wonder that they have managed to keep up with Nvidia's Kepler Architecture for power consumption. the difficulty to remove the heat because of the higher density means more leakage, and ultimately more power consumption, and yet watts are still fairly close between the two brands. Worse still, a lot of the initial comparisons are done with the craptastic AMD reference cooler, which causes even more leakage and thus more power consumption than 3rd party vendor cards....  :rolleyes:

I hope with Maxwell that the power consumption arguments against AMD will be real for once, instead of being exaggerated. 

The exaggerations were real, but not big. Maxwell is Nvidia's attempt to build a coprocessor with more perf/watt against the Xeon Phi. From what I've seen of Haswell/Broadwell, Knight's Landing is going to slap Nvidia across the face with a frying pan.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I still think it is amazing that you can get 2x R9 290s for the purported price of one of these new cards....That's nearly double the performance for the price. I just bought two sapphire tri x 290s for $580 CAD on kijii, not used for mining. It is a really neat option if you have the psu to support it.

I'm a lot more excited about the GTX 970, we finally will see top tier cards on a very small form factor. Who doesn't want to see a LIAN LI PC-Q03B with a GTX 970 inside tearing through 1080p gaming??!

If it's true, it shows how bad prerelease drivers are. Nvidia usually gets 95+5 scaling on SLI, not 66%. So we're still looking at GREAT performance.

Actually, look at the clocks. That's 58% scaling.

the 780 at launch was getting anywhere from 54-87% scaling with SLI. no surprise that 980 would be the same.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

If this is true, it's both disappointing and nice, for me.

Disappointing because they are probably going to launch a 980 Ti and fragment the market more, which is something I particularly think is unnecessary. And also because I was expecting a bigger perfomance jump.

Nice because a 780 Ti will continue to be a monster for years to come...DX12 on it's way...might not even upgrade anything in 2-3 years!

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

Welp, I remember people so eagerly speculating that 980 will at least be 30% faster than 780, what a bummer, sure lower TDP is great, but real gamers and enthusiast who are comparing +/- 1-5 frames in games, I don't think they care too much even if its 50-100watt less than competition. So in my honest opinion people who already have 780s and 780 TIs shouldn't be upgrading at all and skip these series.