Turtle Beach XP Seven review

Please note: This is my first review, so structure may be a bit lacking, but I'll try my best.

This is going to be in a quick pro/con setup.

Price: $279.99 (As of today 249.99 at BestBuy and possibly others)

Audio Specs: 5.1 Uncompressed Surrond(Pc/Mac) and Virtual Dolby Digital 5.1 via control box included.

Whats Included: Headset, Audio Control Unit, Console Adapter, Headset to ACU cable, Headset to Phone cable( Mic + button on 4 pole), Phone to ACU cable. ACU USB/9 pin extender cable, Xbox Chat to ACU cable, and 1 optical digital audio cable.

Pros:

Very light, but durable, build quality. They are make of mostly plastic, but the swivels on the earcups and the higth adjustment feel VERY solid.

Uncompressed 5.1 surround VIA USB for PC users.

Virtual 5.1 surround from almost any source.

Immersive deep bass notes.

Good microphone.

Total control of everything, from the presets to the speaker angles/volumes

Control audio levels of your game, chat, phone, and mic monitor with their own independent wheel.

The foam ear cups are very nice feeling after just a few days of use.

Cons:

Pricey, but have a reason to be.

Not 7.1, but I didn't hear a huge difference in testing compared to my other headsets.

Plastic...

They are really rough on your ears for the first 10 or so hours.

I personally don't care for the color scheme of them, but it doesn't bother me much...

A bit too much for phone gaming...( They include a cable for you to wear around town with your $280 headphones....)

The console interface looks a bit blocky when compared to the design of the ACU

The ACU buttons are a bit too touchy for my taste... I caught it after accidentally moving it's wire and changed the preset, muted the mic, and put it in 5.1 editor mode.

Final thoughts:

I really am enjoying the experience that this headset gives me. I have big ears, but the foam rests perfectly around my ear. I wouldn't recommend these to the casual gamer, but if you are looking for an advantage, you will hear every footstep around, that is if you can set the settings right :/

4.5/5

Thanks for reading

Edit: Formatting

Edited by rankupgamers

Come fold while not gaming! http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

Gaming Rig: i7-9700k 5GHz all core, GTX 1070, 16GB TridentZ, Buncha ssds...

Stream Machine: R7 1700, GTX 660 (lol), 16GB Corsair Somethingoranother, 120 GB SSD i've had since 2012. 

Mobile Workstation: MSI-ALPHA :R7 3750H, RX 5500M, 16GB of some ram, 500GB SSD.

>Phone to ACU cable.

Wait.  They want you to have 5.1 audio while you're lining up jewels on your phone?  Or am I missing something?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

>Phone to ACU cable.

Wait.  They want you to have 5.1 audio while you're lining up jewels on your phone?  Or am I missing something?

It is just a Stereo cable. The only way to get 5.1 is using the ACU with USB or the console box. That cable just acts as a standard mic headset cable.

Come fold while not gaming! http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

Stream Machine: R7 1700, GTX 660 (lol), 16GB Corsair Somethingoranother, 120 GB SSD i've had since 2012. 

It is just a Stereo cable. The only way to get 5.1 is using the ACU with USB or the console box. That cable just acts as a standard mic headset cable.

gotcha

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

gotcha

Yep... a 10 dollar cable to wear your expensive headphones around town...

Yep... a 10 dollar cable to wear your expensive headphones around town...

Yeah, I can't imagine any other headphone makers thinking up such a terrible idea.

If i'm going around town I don't want a bulky gaming headset

They are actually lightweight, but still huge... I just don't feel safe flashing these off in public... too easy to steal.

They are actually lightweight, but still huge... I just don't feel safe flashing these off in public... too easy to steal.

That is why I will stick to earbuds anything else in public needs to be a fashion statement.