How to properly install a new HDD

Thermite
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

If i put the HDD in I cannot boot, that is my problem.

In the bios find 'boot order' and make sure your SSD is at the top of the list

How would I Install a new 4tb western digital hard drive on a windows 8.1 system. Every time I try to boot with the new HDD in my computer isn't able to. Is there some trick I don't know about?

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

Did you set the right HDD in the BIOS? And is Windows installed on the HDD?

I have an SSD with windows 8.1 and a 1tb HDD in my system. I'm trying to put the new hdd in, but it won't boot. Do I just need to change the boot order?

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

How would I Install a new 4tb western digital hard drive on a windows 8.1 system. Every time I try to boot with the new HDD in my computer isn't able to. Is there some trick I don't

is this going to be a storage drive? than boot into windows and go to create and format disk partitions in administrative tools. locate the drive and format it it should assign it a letter thus becoming usable in windows

if you are reading this you are wasting valuable time and should maybe rethink your life choices.

I have an SSD with windows 8.1 and a 1tb HDD in my system. I'm trying to put the new hdd in, but it won't boot. Do I just need to change the boot order?

Wait. Is windows only installed on the SSD?

Or are you not trying to boot the HDD?

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Wait. Is windows only installed on the SSD?

Or are you not trying to boot the HDD?

Windows is only installed on my SSD, but when i originally installed windows it had the 1tb in their also. Now I'm trying to add the new HDD. I can't assign is a drive letter or anyting because everytime i put it in, I cannnot boot.

is this going to be a storage drive? than boot into windows and go to create and format disk partitions in administrative tools. locate the drive and format it it should assign it a letter thus becoming usable in windows

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

go to bios and make sure the windows drive is first in the boot order

if you are reading this you are wasting valuable time and should maybe rethink your life choices.

Set your boot order to start with the SSD. Then reboot. If you plan on using the 4TB drive as storage and need to clear it out to be ready for use. How to Disk Management

If after rebooting try F11 before it boots for boot options and select your Windows 8 SSD

System Specs

CPU: FX-6350 (O.C. 4.6GHz Stable / 4.8GHz Unstable-incomplete)Cooler: Hyper Evo 212Mobo: 990fxa-ud3 Rev.3RAM: G.Skill 1866 2x4GBGPU: MSI R7870-2GD5T/OC x2 (O.C. 1120/1320-Summer 1160/1350-Winter)NIC: PCE-N15PSU: Seasonic X-650 Gold+Case: CM Storm ScoutStorage: 120 Samsung 840 SSD 2x1TB HDDBattery Backup-APC 650Mouse: G600Keyboard: G510Gamepad: PS3 Dualshock 3 VIA BluetoothMonitor: ViewSonic VX2253 (cheap from craigslist, owned this before build)

go to bios and make sure the windows drive is first in the boot order

Ok lets assume I did this, why would drive order matter. Shouldn't the bios just go threw them all and check for an installation. Like how it just skips the CD drive and other drives when there isn't anyting in them.

I'm going to mark this solved, and thanks all of you for your help. Though im still curious why the bios isn't capable of finding the right boot drive even when it is out of order.

Ok lets assume I did this, why would drive order matter. Shouldn't the bios just go threw them all and check for an installation. Like how it just skips the CD drive and other drives when there isn't anyting in them.

I think it can't properly detect if the drive is bootable or not because its over 2TB, and windows has issues with partitions over 2TB. I always completely remove all of my other non-OS drives from the boot list to avoid any issues.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Think of it as a Gender check... (I guess)

You got to go to the bathroom really bad. There are 2 doors that leads to a bathroom (No signs that declare which is for male/female/unisex), you don't know which one to go into.

Lets assume one is for female, the other is for male. No matter how bad you need one or the other, things could turn out with unwanted results so you stand there waiting... waiting... waiting...

If only someone used labels things could flow more smoothly... or systematically.

System Specs

CPU: FX-6350 (O.C. 4.6GHz Stable / 4.8GHz Unstable-incomplete)Cooler: Hyper Evo 212Mobo: 990fxa-ud3 Rev.3RAM: G.Skill 1866 2x4GBGPU: MSI R7870-2GD5T/OC x2 (O.C. 1120/1320-Summer 1160/1350-Winter)NIC: PCE-N15PSU: Seasonic X-650 Gold+Case: CM Storm ScoutStorage: 120 Samsung 840 SSD 2x1TB HDDBattery Backup-APC 650Mouse: G600Keyboard: G510Gamepad: PS3 Dualshock 3 VIA BluetoothMonitor: ViewSonic VX2253 (cheap from craigslist, owned this before build)

I think it can't properly detect if the drive is bootable or not because its over 2TB, and windows has issues with partitions over 2TB. I always completely remove all of my other non-OS drives from the boot list to avoid any issues.

It should detect it (if boot options are correct), at least as a 2TB until formatted/converted to GPT

System Specs

Great idea i'll do that!