Amazon ready to snatch Twitch away from Google: more updates

Although the rumors previously stated that YouTube would be buying out Twitch, Twitch has confirmed that Amazon is going to be buying out all of the outstanding shares later in 2014, totaling almost $970 million. 

On Twitch's official blog post, Emmett Shear, Twitch's CEO, stated:

We chose Amazon because they believe in our community, they share our values and long-term vision, and they want to help us get there faster. We’re keeping most everything the same: our office, our employees, our brand, and most importantly our independence. But with Amazon’s support we’ll have the resources to bring you an even better Twitch.

I personally think that this is much better than YouTube acquiring Twitch because I believe the Twitch service is very good as it is, and only needs small improvements, as opposed to major design changes and formatting differences that YouTube would inevitably make. Additionally, with the money and server power of Amazon (like their s3 servers), Twitch will get even better and more readily available with more powerful features.

Blog Post: http://blog.twitch.tv/2014/08/a-letter-from-the-ceo-august-25-2014/

EDIT: Official post on twitch as well: http://www.twitch.tv/p/thankyou

great job breaking this great news. You're the first person to make this thread.

/s

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Someone move this to /r/Repost

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

watwatwatwatwatwatwatwatwatwatwat???

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

I'd rather have Youtube buy Twitch, rather than Amazon. Youtube knows what they're doing because they are in the same business as Twitch.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

youtube was never going to buy twitch

google was

and this has been reposted like 20 times already

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

EDIT: Sorry double post?

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

I'd rather have Youtube buy Twitch, rather than Amazon. Youtube knows what they're doing because they are in the same business as Twitch.

well i hope Amazon won't have some services on Twitch that are Prime members only. 

Does linus get a small kick back if I stream? I don't see this being much better than google buying them

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Repost.

I used the search function and looked in this forum topic for a thread already stating this, but I wasn't able to find it. Will you please link me to one of the previous ones?

Like it matters who buys it :P

It does.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I used the search function and looked in this forum topic for a thread already stating this, but I wasn't able to find it. Will you please link me to one of the previous ones?

http://www.twitch.tv/p/thankyou Just change the title to brought twitch. it's completely offical now

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Like it matters who buys it :P

I actually think it does matter who buys it. If YouTube had bought it, then they would enforce their control over Twitch much more heavily than I think Amazon will. YouTube will want to force their layout changes every year or so simply so that the programmers will have something to do, while Amazon will actually focus on making it work correctly and increasing the performance and quality of it.

wow, just wow

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

It does not.

It does too.

I actually think it does matter who buys it. If YouTube had bought it, then they would enforce their control over Twitch much more heavily than I think Amazon will. YouTube will want to force their layout changes every year or so simply so that the programmers will have something to do, while Amazon will actually focus on making it work correctly and increasing the performance and quality of it.

You know this... How exactly? Layout changes would really mean nothing. As long as the service works why should you care what they do to it. People would still be able to live stream just as they did before.

Yeah, but Amazon has some of the most powerful servers in the world. Their S3 servers host tons of huge websites, including Netflix, so that technically does make them in the same category, at least in some aspects.

You know this... How exactly? Layout changes would really mean nothing. As long as the service works why should you care what they do to it. People would still be able to live stream just as they did before.

Because of YouTube's past, they would want to continue their "innovation" into all of their branches, which would have included Twitch. Yes, people would have been able to stream just as they did before, but YouTube would end up breaking things, like they have done with the Subscription boxes on YouTube multiple times. I'm not saying it is 100% that they would have screwed it up, but because of their track record, they probably would have.

Because of YouTube's past, they would want to continue their "innovation" into all of their branches, which would have included Twitch. Yes, people would have been able to stream just as they did before, but YouTube would end up breaking things, like they have done with the Subscription boxes on YouTube multiple times. I'm not saying it is 100% that they would have screwed it up, but because of their track record, they probably would have.

Youtube really hasn't been breaking things much. And besides, do you even know Google's reaction to the surprise twist?