LG Plasma TV red lines, please help.

cnerde

I am working on an LG 50PC5D, When turning it on, and for the first 15 or so minutes, anything displayed gets a weird red bar on it. In the pics I don't have an input connected, but it does the same either way, so you will see the bar on the no signal box moving around, and in one where the input thing in the right hand corner.
WnOUZAt.jpgn31D7eG.jpgPViAAzZ.jpg
I opened it up, checked and all the capacitors look perfect. I cleaned off all the dust and checked all the connections and it is fine...
Anybody have ANY ideas on how to fix this?
Thanks in advance! :)

go return it, and tbh don't buy plasma they burn in way faster, especialy the first 2 month's usage they burn in extremely fast due being much more brighter.

Their for its also adviced not to crank up brightness etc especialy in the first 2 month's.

If this is how you got it then don't bother fixing it just return it get refund buy a decen't led instead.

I would say that this is not entirely correct information.

There is NOTHING wrong with owning a Plasma. They offer superior black levels (unbeatable in anything but OLED), better colour accuracy, better motion playback, and better viewing angles (especially compared to LED).

One thing they do NOT have is higher brightness. That would be considered a "con" since it means that ambient light can cause issues (Though only if in really bright rooms). However, saying that they are "much more brighter" is as far from the truth as you can be. Any LCD/LED panel will easily be twice as bright.

With that said:

@ OP

If the TV is still under warranty, then of course return it for an exchange (If within store return period), or call the manufacturer for RMA/Repair service.

I have an LG Plasma (The 50" 50PA6500) that is fantastic. I've had mine for over 2 months (Bought it March 12th) with zero issues. Anyway, since you already own a Plasma, I'm sure you're already well aware of their awesome picture quality.

AS for the issue, could be a weak solder connection somewhere on the circuit board. If the caps look good, then it's probably that, or a bad/burnt out IC.

Good luck!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Returning it isn't really an option, it was made in 2008..

What happens when you plug in an input? Does it still have these lines? It's not only the lines that look like a problem but also the those red pixels...It may be dead pixels but its hard to tell because they are crossing over the screen?

What happens when you plug in an input? Does it still have these lines? It's not only the lines that look like a problem but also the those red pixels...It may be dead pixels but its hard to tell because they are crossing over the screen?

Then the whole screen is basically red with the lines, it they show up wherever there is a picture. 

They aren't dead, as after 15-20 minutes it all goes away and is fine.

That's why I was thinking capacitors, as I have seen dead ones do weird things when starting before..

Another thing that was mentioned was solder joints... I am thinking that must be it.. the solder heating up makes it work...

ANY idea what board has this issue? I could replace it and see.. But can't really just buy all of them...

Then the whole screen is basically red with the lines, it they show up wherever there is a picture. 

They aren't dead, as after 15-20 minutes it all goes away and is fine.

That's why I was thinking capacitors, as I have seen dead ones do weird things when starting before..

Another thing that was mentioned was solder joints... I am thinking that must be it.. the solder heating up makes it work...

ANY idea what board has this issue? I could replace it and see.. But can't really just buy all of them...

I'm thinking that there would be a lot of guess work in doing this at a high expense as the model of the TV is rather old. I think you may have to consider the question of is it worth the cost of fixing or just replacing?

• 4 months later...

Hi, I am having the same EXACT issue with my tv. Did you happen to troubleshoot the problem? I'm thinking it is a cold solder joint. ty

• 1 month later...

Smells like a bad HDMI cable. Have your tried different and/or a shorter cable? I know you can get jitter with too long cables, and big temperature changes. If this just started happening then I would take a look at any new equipment installed in the vicinity of the screen, or the equipment you cable run goes through. If you're using a reciever, or computer as your image source then try removing or changing equipment to see if the problem persists. If you still have the exact same problem after changing cables, shortening your cable run, and changing the image source, then the likelyhood of something being wrong with your TV increases a lot and you will probably have to fix it. :( Good luck!