Do I really need an unlocked CPU?

Go to solution Solved by GooGuy,

Well if you want to overclock then get the unlocked cpu but if you don't then there's not much point in buying the unlocked version but I do recommend buying the unlocked version because if you do want to overclock in the future then you can instead of buying a new Cpu.

In the long run, you might regret not spending the extra 30 euros, but if you really are not overclocking then don't get the k version

CPU: i5 25000 3.3 GHz             Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V-LK          Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB           Display: Samsung SD24 24" 1080p          

GPU: EVGA GTX 660 SC 2 GB     Sound: Razer Kraken pro                            PSU: Rosewill 630 watt                    Storage 1: 128 GB Adata XPG SX900 SSD

Case: Rosewill Challenger       CPU Cooler: Corsair h80i                    Mouse: Corsair M65                                   Storage 2: Seagate 2 TB HDD

Then no, you don't need an unlocked cpu. They are there to be overclocked, if you won't do that there's no reason to spend more.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

YES ALWAYS BUY K CPUS. You don't know if you might change your mind in the future plus it greatly increases the CPUs resale value

slightly better resale value. I always buy K versions even if I dont plan to OC them. I tend to sell them after about a year or so.&sp;<%2>

YES ALWAYS BUY K CPUS. You don't know if you might change your mind in the future plus it greatly increases the CPUs resale value

sorry, I disagree. Go for the cheaper one OP. I have a i5-3570K, havent OC'd yet at all. Theres no reason to, I never push it like I do my graphics card. plus you would want a better cooler if you where going to overclock. so the cost is really 50-60 euros to go get that K proccessor. 

id say buy it, if it lets you overclock and push off an upgrade for a year or 2 then its moneysaved

Get the K cpu. I still regret it getting a locked CPU. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Well if you want to overclock then get the unlocked cpu but if you don't then there's not much point in buying the unlocked version but I do recommend buying the unlocked version because if you do want to overclock in the future then you can instead of buying a new Cpu.

I baught a non k and feel fine about it. put the 10 towards something else

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

you dont need it. you can save quite a bit of money on the cooler and motherboard that way.

Well I'm an avid overclocker so I'll be slightly biased. But I know people who bought i7 920s in 2008 that ran them at stock and only overclocked to 4ghz in the last year or so have found the frequency bump has kept their CPU relevant and capable of playing games. Also you never know if you'd change your mind.

As long as that 30 EUR is not the difference between getting say an SSD or not or 760 vs 280x