Project Toaster [NCASE M1, 4670K, Impact Z87, GTX 970 G1][WIP]

Butterfish
Go to solution Solved by Butterfish,

Finally some news on the project! - well, it's not good news.. 

I want to first apologize to everyone who were following this thread and expecting progress..

Project Toaster is sadly over, due to my lack in time and interest in the build. It was a fun ride, but i realized that the case was just too much of a hazzle and with all the setbacks i had with months and months of waiting for parts, i just couldn't bare it anymore. The toaster has gotten a new owner - one of my close friends. He needed a small chassis for carrying around, and i thought it would be best to give it to someone who would appreciate it alot more. I have therefore decided to switch back to ATX for now.

I can't thank you guys enough for all the support and replies on this thread. Who knows - maybe i will come up with something new? ;) I will keep you updated.

To see the final pictures of the build - click here

Fin

kbqHNPV.png?1

By Butterfish

Featuring the NCASE M1 V2 Silver

LuVdxY8.jpg?1

Introduction

Hello my fellow techies! I recently received my long expected NCASE M1 and i decided to do a build log. (Why not, right?)

I'm switching from ATX to M-ITX so i have to swap out a lot of parts, since most of my hardware won't fit in this tiny enclosure.

I am going to update this thread with pictures and text frequently the next following month(s), so stay tuned!

Why the name?

Just after ordering the NCASE M1 i showed my friend a picture of it, and he responded by saying "Lol, it looks like a toaster." Seemed like a decent name.

Reminds me of this movie as a child. 

U7Atkio.jpg?2

Parts

Hardware from previous build:

• i5 4670K
  • Corsair H55
  • OCZ 250gb SSD
  • 2TB WD Green HDD
  • EVGA GTX 670 (Stock cooler)
  • ASUS PB278Q 27" 1440p (Monitor)

Needed parts:

• M-ITX Motherboard Socket 1150 (Z87/Z97) DONE
  • SFX PSU. (Waiting for SX500-LG) DONE

Possible future upgrades:

• Better GPU (GTX 970/980) DONE
  • Full watercooling 
  • Better fans (Noctua or GT's)
  • Triple 1080p monitor Surround/Eyefinity Returned

Hardware in build:

• i5 4670K
  • Maximus VI Impact Z87
  • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming
  • OCZ 256GB SSD
  • Corsair H55

Table of contents

Update #1 - The Arrival

Update #2 - Dream Setup

Update #3 - Weekend Update

Update #4 - Brace for Impact!

Update #5 - The final piece of the puzzle

Update #6 - One step forward, two steps backwards...

Update #7 - Enjoying LAN party on my bae

(Mini) Update #8 - Casemod inspiration

(yet another mini) Update #9 - V3 PSU Bracket arrived!

Update #10 - Triple Monitor Setup!

Update #11 - And the award for most ridiculous pc goes to...

Update #12 - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming [n3rd p0rn alert!]

Update #13 - It's done! (Kinda...)

Update #14 - PICTURES!! (not finals pics)

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Update #1 - The Arrival

The case is here. Finally!

Sadly, it took a big hit when shipping so the front-left case feet is slightly bent out of shape. Nothing to cry about tho.  :D

w8luS1B.jpg

t2k00Sl.jpg

More photos:

ZROLNfY.jpgbEvo516.jpgZpaaBue.jpgE359cKF.jpgzBcYOI1.jpgH9bLI9F.jpgTvMtPEl.jpgWT8xis6.jpgWS6MTLA.jpgnTf3mDy.jpgPDxoLlP.jpg2kY7ePu.jpgtpjVI5y.jpgUxnAMNx.jpgQsyL7gd.jpgjmTofKF.jpg5L2FDTH.jpg

Main Rig
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Phone

I really like that case. Might have to pick myself up one. If they're available in Canada of course. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

I really like that case. Might have to pick myself up one. If they're available in Canada of course. 

You can only get them directly from Lian Li's factory in Taiwan. The are not in production at the moment, since they just finished a batch. Check the website for more updates on the next production run. www.ncases.com

Main Rig
Phone

You can only get them directly from Lian Li's factory in Taiwan. The are not in production at the moment, since they just finished a batch. Check the website for more updates on the next production run. www.ncases.com

I just checked. They are available for pre-order (With shipping from the US). Also I do not believe this company has anything to do with Lian Li. As the website states it was a crowd-funded project. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

I just checked. They are available for pre-order (With shipping from the US). Also I do not believe this company has anything to do with Lian Li. As the website states it was a crowd-funded project. 

Seems like they have a few leftover.  :)

The case is manufactured by Lian Li. The design is made by the guys behind the NCASE.

Main Rig
Phone

Update #2 - Dream Setup

Here is a picture of what i want my setup to look like. The first image is my desk as it is right now, and the second image is taken by a friend whose got a triple monitor setup with AOC i2369Vm 23" 1080p IPS panels. Looks so sweet and it will match my NCASE sooooo nice!

CdqbKOp.jpg?1

(There is no hardware installed in the NCASE at the moment, so i'm still running on my Arc Midi R2 below my desk. It used to be sitting on the desk, but the NCASE took it's place) :P

5ULbrRz.jpg?2

(The Prodigy on the second image was actually mine before switching from ITX to ATX. Now switching back to ITX again. (Genius..)

Main Rig
Phone

Your friend has a baller setup tho!

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Your friend has a baller setup tho!

I know right! I don't want to be a wannabe and copy him but it would just match so well with the brushed aluminium on the monitors. He doesn't care if i get the same setup though, so i might do it. :D

Main Rig
Phone

I know right! I don't want to be a wannabe and copy him but it would just match so well with the brushed aluminium on the monitors. He doesn't care if i get the same setup though, so i might do it. :D

There'll probably be some haters complaining that triple monitors are 'stupid' for some reason. I'm with you on that front though. I've always wanted a surround setup 

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

There'll probably be some haters complaining that triple monitors are 'stupid' for some reason. I'm with you on that front though. I've always wanted a surround setup 

People who hate on sorround setups, probably hates on it because they know thay don't have the discipline to save the money for such :D

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

People who hate on sorround setups, probably hates on it because they know thay don't have the discipline to save the money for such :D

Not only do you get a bigger e-penis, but it's really great for productivity and definitely also gaming!

Main Rig
Phone

• 2 weeks later...

Update #3 - Weekend update

I'm back with more!

First, great news! The SFX 600W PSU from silverstone is coming out 19/09/14 here in Denmark (Super excited) :Dhttps://www.dustin.dk/product/5010798502/sfx-series-sx600-g

Secondly, i have some pictures of my setup, and more detailed information on my peripherals. I've added some text to each picture. Enjoy! 

Photo Album

Main Rig
Phone

"Rodekassen". Don't we all have one... Mine is everywhere :P

"Rodekassen". Don't we all have one... Mine is everywhere :P

There is a reason why i only showed that corner of my room :D

Main Rig
Phone

There is a reason why i only showed that corner of my room :D

I know your pain. Life is too short for cleaning up :P

Damn, that's a gorgeous setup. 

Thanks, i call it "3 story madness"

Main Rig
Phone

• 1 month later...

Update #4 - Brace for Impact!

I'm back with moooore. Sorry for taking so long! :D

I've managed to swap my old mobo out for a Maximus VI Impact. The build i coming together! Last thing i need is a PSU and i'm good to go ;)

GLe9DHO.jpgNUhYLqN.jpg

More photos:

bpUgpqv.jpgpN6GJiF.jpg2qBnRSY.jpg8U54pOv.jpgcT4ulVB.jpgAxP1LdV.jpgi957JXv.jpgwonWvBO.jpg

Main Rig
Phone

Sooooo stoked on this!

Your toaster looks amazing.

RIG:  CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer ATX Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Internal HDD SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" SSD Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card Case: Corsair 780T PSU: NZXT HALE82 850W 80+ Bronze Monitor: LG 34UM95-P Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Keyboard Mouse: Razer Taipan Mouse Mat: Razer Vespula Sound: Cyber Acoustics CA-3090, Corsair Vengeance 2100 :  1998.40 Euro

That's pretty.

CPU: i5 2500k@4.2 MBO: Asrock P67 Extreme4 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1GB RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600 SSD: Samsung 840 Basic 250 HDD: Samsung F3 1TB + WD 2TB Green + WD MyBook 1TB external; ODD: LG BD/DVDRW; PSU: Corsair TX 650
Case: Fractal Define R3 Black Pearl; Mouse/Keyboard Logitech Performance MX + Wireless K800; Monitor: Dell U2311H 

Your toaster looks amazing.

That's pretty.

Thank you kind sir'rees

Main Rig
Phone

• 2 weeks later...

#Update 5 - The final piece of the puzzle

Finally, after all these months.. it's here!

Ordered a 92mm fan alongside with it. It's so cute! :D

Stay tuned for the assembly part!

pmxfE4C.jpgh2QN21n.jpg?1

More photos:

oBN3kBA.jpgEkKTDNh.jpg4Wf7XL2.jpgh2QN21n.jpg?1ktvCX2N.jpg3Ei1ztd.jpg

Main Rig
Phone