The SLI information guide

D2ultima

Hi there,

I purchased two Geforce RTX ROG 3090 OC I would like to make them sli, I was wondering how can I do it? Do I need a buy NVlink bridge? If I do which brand and model I have to use. My cpu is Threadripper 3970X Motherboard: ASUS zenith II EXTREME alpha.

• 4 months later...
On 8/28/2021 at 11:54 PM, SafaMoosavi said:

Hi there,

I purchased two Geforce RTX ROG 3090 OC I would like to make them sli, I was wondering how can I do it? Do I need a buy NVlink bridge? If I do which brand and model I have to use. My cpu is Threadripper 3970X Motherboard: ASUS zenith II EXTREME alpha.

In case you still need an answer yes you need an NVlink bridge. Nvidia makes one specifically for the 3090. Some others brands like EVGA also make one. From what I remember they only come in 4 slot spacing so if that doesn't match your mobo layout you'll have to use riser cables.

Also keep in mind that there are only 14 games that are supported and most of them don't scale properly. Watch this video:

https://youtu.be/i1dGQiNfCAc

umm..... when talking about SLI, it means how games can efficiently utilize two cards of the same chip, right?

because that seems what people are focusing on, the fps.

how about productivity? do two cards make any difference to the computer system?

like, adobe or autocad doesn't really support sli, but would having two gpu help in any way?

i know vram doesn't double when you have two cards, but do two cards vram somehow stack, maybe 30% more, if not doubled?

thanks

On 1/14/2022 at 12:14 AM, Error 504 said:

umm..... when talking about SLI, it means how games can efficiently utilize two cards of the same chip, right?

because that seems what people are focusing on, the fps.

how about productivity? do two cards make any difference to the computer system?

like, adobe or autocad doesn't really support sli, but would having two gpu help in any way?

i know vram doesn't double when you have two cards, but do two cards vram somehow stack, maybe 30% more, if not doubled?

thanks

Yes lots of productivity apps make use of multiple GPUs.

3 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Yes lots of productivity apps make use of multiple GPUs.

so..... when a motherboard says "sli" support, it only talks about fps in gaming.

for productivity-wise, any mobo will work with two cards of the same chip? with enough pcie lanes and speed.

11 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

so..... when a motherboard says "sli" support, it only talks about fps in gaming.

for productivity-wise, any mobo will work with two cards of the same chip? with enough pcie lanes and speed.

Correct. You do not need an SLI board for productivity apps. I don't even think the cards have to be identical. But I don't use these apps so I'm not an expert.

17 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Correct. You do not need an SLI board for productivity apps. I don't even think the cards have to be identical. But I don't use these apps so I'm not an expert.

now i have to say crossfire is really awesome.

thanks for the info.

• 1 year later...
On 1/15/2022 at 11:24 PM, dilpickle said:

Correct. For things like rendering, you can often throw in more cards and you'll basically just add the performance of both together. It obviously depends on the application and technologies involved.

Bouncing this over here, because it is turning into an sli thing

Hello,

I am having an issue with one of my Nvidia 2080ti overheating under load.

It's the bottom card.  

Strangely, it seems to run a bit colder until it doesn't

System

Huananzhi F8 motherboard

e5-2699 v3 xeon

128g 2133

dual Nvidia RTX 2080 ti FE

dealing with heat AND driver issues now

DRIVER PART OF THE THREAD

2023-03-06 17_52_33-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay DT.png