Correction about Linus' Gigabyte BXi5G-760 Micro PC video

D2ultima

Nice catch, op!

I don't think it makes much of a difference to my conclusion about the product at this point since a throttling maxwell would be not better than a throttling Kepler and I think either of them would throttle in that tiny box but it's definitely interesting!!

Maybe if they had the 860m in there and used Noctua fans ;)

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Nice catch, op!

I don't think it makes much of a difference to my conclusion about the product at this point since a throttling maxwell would be not better than a throttling Kepler and I think either of them would throttle in that tiny box but it's definitely interesting!!

I more wanted to make the point about it because most people are ignorant of how good or bad laptop hardware actually is, and desktop hardware is a much more in-your-face selling point for very small form factors; and it's the general fact that Gigabyte was trying so hard to lie for sales.

Also, the maxwell should actually not throttle much if at all here, though it is certainly a weaker card. Can't wait for the flagships from that line; it shows promise =D

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

It's a 660 Ti in every way except that 660 Ti's never came with more than 2GB of VRAM.

there were 3GB 660ti

I feel so used so betrayed...... I know I should have gladness in my heart that OP has looked after our interests but  I feel broken inside.

The cake is a lie!!! -- but the muffins are genuine.

Didnt see that one coming

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

there were 3GB 660ti

Ah I had forgotten about it as it was only available with an ugly stock blower cooler from EVGA.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Hi, everyone. I wasn't sure where to put this, but I can't make a new topic in the Linus' videos/ramblings/news forum, so here seemed like the next best place.

Basically, I watched this video 

here from Linus last night. In the video, I realized that Linus was misinformed by Gigabyte about the contents of the system. And in fact, Gigabyte is lying to everyone, because their sale page still has the incorrect information. Let me explain now.

So... Gigabyte tells Linus (and everyone else) it's a GTX 760 video card. Linus THINKS it's a GTX 760. It's actually a GTX 870M. If you pause the video at 4:48-4:49 before he zooms in to show the throttled clock speeds, you can look at his GPU-Z screenshot of the card's specifications.

GTX 760 specifications: 1152 cores, 980 base/1033 boost clock, 6000MHz mem bandwidth, 256-bit mem bus, 2GB and 4GB vRAM configurations. Proof: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-760/specifications
GTX 870M: 1344 cores (check), 941 base (check)/967 boost (higher in video) clock, 5000MHz mem bandwidth (check), 192-bit mem bus (check), 3GB and 6GB configurations (check), downclocks as far down as 2D clocks when super hot (check). Proof: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-870m/specifications

So basically, Gigabyte seriously took a GTX 870M, modified the vBIOS to boost its "boost" clock and return that it's a GTX 760, shoved it into that tiny thing without proper cooling, having it downclock on itself due to overheating, and is selling it to people as being a desktop GTX 760.

The reason the GTX 860M 2GB card works in the small PCs is because it's maxwell, not kepler, and runs exceedingly cool for its power. It does not need a whole lot of cooling, but the stronger mobile kepler cards (like 680M, 780M, 870M, 880M) need at least a decent cooling configuration to work, which this lacks, and thus Linus' testing overheated the card easily. As for the 870M's relative strength to desktop hardware, it *IS* a GTX 660Ti with 5000MHz memory clock instead of 6000MHz memory clock and more memory. 660Ti specs as proof: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660ti/specifications

Lol at all the people who say that they aren't going to use Gigabyte or aren't going to reccomend it. Come on guys...

Interested in Business and Technology

Guys... new intel (reference :D ) shows that all 760s from gigabyte are speced but 870m's. GET THEMMMMMM!

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Good job finding this. I actually knew about it before, I thought this was common knowledge by now :o

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Gigabyte is off the buy list. Another one goes after Kingston...  Good find.

| Intel i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz | ASUS Z97-PRO | 16GB Kingston Beast @ 2400MHz | Sapphire AMD R9 290 TRI-X | 256GB Samsung EVO SSD & WD 2TB Black | AOC 4K Monitor 28" & BenQ 1080P 24" | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Razer Deathadder |

Languages (Who cares about spoken languages, meh.) : Java, C++, Python, Ruby, C#. | Aim: Assembly.

200_s.gif

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

It's a 660 Ti in every way except that 660 Ti's never came with more than 2GB of VRAM.

they made a few with 3gb

they made a few with 3gb

please read the thread, someone already made this point.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

• 1 month later...

Wooooooow.......

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

nice catch, I had to go full screen HD to see the numbers clearly. Gigabyte... for shame guys  :(

I'm sure someone/everyone at LMG knew it wasn't a 760 when looking at GPU-Z, but maybe Gigabyte told them not to disclose that and this was LMG's way of circumventing that? if so, very nice!

gallery_62868_1880_1368898.jpg

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

luke-skywalker.gif

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"