Sony sued over Killzone: Shadow Fall's graphics

Dietrichw

Source

killzone-shadow-fall-multiplayer-screens

Sony Computer Entertainment America has been hit with a lawsuit alleging "deceptive marketing" of Killzone: Shadow Fall because the PlayStation 4 game's multiplayer mode does not run at the resolution advertised.

The suit, filed by California resident Douglas Ladore in Northern District California court, alleges that Sony advertised Killzone: Shadow Fall would run at native 1080p resolution but "used a technological shortcut that was supposed to provide 'subjectively similar' results."

In March, Eurogamer's Digital Foundry analyzed Shadow Fall's graphics and reported that the PS4 game's multiplayer component runs at 960 by 1080 resolution — as opposed to 1920 by 1080, or 1080p resolution — with a "high-quality temporal upscale."

The lawsuit alleges that Sony advertised — through videos, its official website, social media and Killzone's retail packaging — would offer 1080p graphics. "Unfortunately, Sony's marketing and on-box representations turned out to be nothing more than fiction," the lawsuit says.

Hm... this is interesting if this continues for other games where the devs or publisher were not openly honest about the resolution or performance 

inb4 pcmasterrace

You're playing on a console what do you expect? 

Or not...

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

i dont like lawsuits in general, but this one is one of the only i really 'support'

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

This has happened a few times, as I recall.

EDIT: In terms of graphics not being what they say that they are.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Why do console users care? "Resolution is just a number"

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Its sad that the consoles can hit 1080p@60r15 yet developers are just fucking lazy. Before I had my SLI tower of power, I had to pick and chose which BF4 settings I'd axe just so I could have 1080p@ above 60fps. What settings were those? More often than not the SSAO and AA. I can honestly live without, even now that I have the power to drive those. If they can't make the proper cuts to get rid of shit that doesn't DRAMATICALLY improve or hinder gameplay, then they deserve to be sued for their incompetence. 

The sadder part is that this isn't the first time Sony has pulled this "ERMAGHERD GRAFFICS" crap with Killzone. Killzone's PS3 launch demo. EVeryone was saying "Holy mother of god that looks great". Right up until someone blew the lid on it being rendered and bullshit, and then these clowns tried to cover their tracks. In fact, the Sony brigade used that game as the "Look Xbox, your console sucks balls our graphics are awesome". 

My god, its just sad. Consoles have okay graphics. Some even are acceptable. None are great. Thats what the PC is for. Which I'm down with. The PS3 and 360 seemed to engage in less of this graphical inferiority complex that the PS4 and One engage in. Like guys, no one is that stupid. Consumers know consoles are a compromise. Accept that and just make very good games. Stop using bullshit to get sales and thus encourage bullshit in your fanbases and thus cause all this crap we get on the internet. 

this shouldnt be bringing anything up about whether pc or console is better but rather the deception that goes on for a lot of games nowadays, i mean even watchdogs was not delivered as advertised on pc.

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

Why do console users care? "Resolution is just a number"

it is. Im completely happy with my O-Xbox 480p. whats the big deal?

Dont worry, Im not completely stupid, I like high res pc gaming but Im more than happy with the O-Xbox. So in a way, it is just a number.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Microsoft and Sony screw over their users so much. Can't give them a decent resolution, it's not like it isn't already bad enough.

#PCMASTERRACE

I have to support this even if it's stupid because hopefully it will show game devs and console makers that they can't get away with false advertising or making a game look and run like sh*t. The so called next-gen console feel really really half-assed, no time has been spent making them at all they just went out and found some really cheap components that would run games fairly well and slapped them together on a custom mobo. Apple's mac pro did a better job at making hardware then the two consoles makers did.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

No shit sherlock. I think that Sony and Microsoft screwed up this time...especially in the long run. It took too long to make money on the PS3, so they pressed too much in the other direction and this is the result. The life cycle of these "next-gen" consoles will be nothing compared to the previous.

Its just too weak.

Does it say specifically that the MP runs at 1080? or just SinglePlayer?

MP.

from the dev.

https://www.killzone.com/en_GB/blog/news/2014-03-06_regarding-killzone-shadow-fall-and-1080p.html

"In both SP and MP, KILLZONE SHADOW FALL outputs a full, unscaled 1080p image at up to 60 FPS. Native is often used to indicate images that are not scaled; it is native by that definition.

In Multiplayer mode, however, we use a technique called “temporal reprojection,” which combines pixels and motion vectors from multiple lower-resolution frames to reconstruct a full 1080p image. If native means that every part of the pipeline is 1080p then this technique is not native.

Games often employ different resolutions in different parts of their rendering pipeline. Most games render particles and ambient occlusion at a lower resolution, while some games even do all lighting at a lower resolution. This is generally still called native 1080p. The technique used in KILLZONE SHADOW FALL goes further and reconstructs half of the pixels from past frames.

We recognize the community’s degree of investment on this matter, and that the conventional terminology used before may be too vague to effectively convey what’s going on under the hood. As such we will do our best to be more precise with our language in the future."

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Wow, Watch Dogs is shit on PC.

HEY

I'll have you know that my SLI, K rig still....

fails to make Watch Dogs run well. 

Watch Dogs is a joke for optimization. Not Rome II levels of joke, but we're getting there. 

HEY

I'll have you know that my SLI, K rig still....

fails to make Watch Dogs run well. 

Watch Dogs is a joke for optimization. Not Rome II levels of joke, but we're getting there.

That's what I meant :D

I give up I have now seen, read or tried every act of stupidity on this planet

They have no chance in hell of winning the lawsuit. Technically, the PS4 WAS displaying 1080p.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Someone please do this to Ubisoft over Watch Dogs, Far Cry 4, and The Division.

"we just dev'ed for PC and plugged it into the console and it worked at max" yeah that's bullshit.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I give up I have now seen, read or tried every act of stupidity on this planet

Have you married a kardashian or cast member of the jersey shore?

Then you have not seen read or tried every act of stupidity possible :P

Edit: woops sorry for the double, thought I hit edit

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs