Can SLI run on 550W?

GloriousPain
Go to solution Solved by Askew,

No, whoever told you it could 'because Nvidia' is a moron.

Use 750W as a minimum, preferably use 850 to allow for lower operating temperature and higher operating efficiency of the PSU.

Buying 4GB 770s is another bad decision, he could have taken the money saved by buying 2GB ones towards a decent PSU, or better still just bought a single 780.

My friend has ordered parts first asked opinion second and apperently SLI 770s are supposed to run on a 550W PSU I don't think that was a smart move on his part and his best retort is "They're by Nvidia not AMD"  .-. am I really in the wrong here? Maybe he'll believe you guys...

NOTE: this is in general discussion cause I don't know if it fits under Graphics cards or power supplies more

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Use 750W as a minimum, preferably use 850 to allow for lower operating temperature and higher operating efficiency of the PSU.

Buying 4GB 770s is another bad decision, he could have taken the money saved by buying 2GB ones towards a decent PSU, or better still just bought a single 780.

I wouldn't do it. A really high quality 650W PSU can totally do that, but 550W is too close for comfort.

They'll run, but the PSU will be a gigantic bottleneck when SLI is enabled.

These were my thoughts exactly specially since he works at local hardware store and could've gotten 290 Tri-Xs for the same price >.< note: store does not sell Nvidia parts he got them off newegg.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

These were my thoughts exactly specially since he works at local hardware store and could've gotten 290 Tri-Xs for the same price >.<

He is going to learn the hard way this time, always ask first if you don't know what you're doing or you get the pleasure of not only wasting money but having your friends go and confirm your madness on a forum lol.

Your entire system would use at least about 550W(no OC-s,etc.).

650W is the minimum you should go with.

700/750W is recommended.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Not at all haha

ZEUS

CPUi7 4770K - 4.4Ghz CoolerNoctua NH-D14 MB: Maximus VI Hero RAM4 x 4GB Vengeance Pro DDR3 2133Mhz GPUWindforce 780ti Case: Corsair C70 Storage: 3 x 128GB 840 Pro SSD in RAID 0 , 2 x 1TB Barracuda PSU860W AX860i Displays: Asus VG248QE 144Hz , Asus VE247H 60Hz KeyboardRazer Blackwidow 2013 MouseRazer Deathadder SoundSennheiser HD 558 Mic: Blue Snowball

"If I'm not quoted I probably won't reply back to you."

Expect 230W TDP per card. 650W minimum in my opinion. 750W preferably.

TDP is not the same as power consumption bla blah blaaah! Linus said so at least :P

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Expect 230W TDP per card. 650W minimum in my opinion. 750W preferably.

Cards usually use Above their TDP in actual power.... and I agree nearly completely I said a 700W with 800-850 preferably as my friend likes to OC alot

I wouldn't do it. A really high quality 650W PSU can totally do that, but 550W is too close for comfort

too close for comfort? I don't think it's close atall my maths are showing 590-630W w/ no OCs and lets just say he won the lottery with his 4930k (5.3Ghz @ 1.41V) and a few other things have just given him a power hungry system (eg 4 Intel 730s in Raid 10, and 8 Velicoraptors also in Raid 10)

They'll run, but the PSU will be a gigantic bottleneck when SLI is enabled.

I don't think that's how it works xD 

He is going to learn the hard way this time, always ask first if you don't know what you're doing or you get the pleasure of not only wasting money but having your friends go and confirm your madness on a forum lol.

Yeah he's currently sweating bullets... LOL 

Your entire system would use at least about 550W(no OC-s,etc.).

650W is the minimum you should go with.

700/750W is recommended.

if my maths are right it'll be 590-630 w/o No OCs

TDP is not the same as power consumption bla blah blaaah! Linus said so at least :P

Correct TDP is howmuch heat is released as heat is a form of energy xD which is why its measured in Watts

wrong, could have bought a 290!

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

A really high quality PSU could probably run both cards at idle but once you start doing anything intensive, it will more than likely pass the PSU. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

And these types of people ''They're by Nvidia not AMD'' end up with console, b*tching about how PC's are not reliable :D

P.s. Show this thread to you friend, crush his spirit. ??? Profit !

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-770-review,5.html

Pretty much 200W per card. I've tested my system with an OCed 4670k and one overclocked 770 at 100% full load on both parts and the power consumption was at 320W-330W from the wall. So, a 550W PSU (as long as it can provide enough mower on the +12V rails) could power that system with another 770, but (as I said) it is insanely close and I would never be comfortable with that. So, we could say that technically his friend is right, but it's still a stupid decision.

too close for comfort? I don't think it's close atall my maths are showing 590-630W w/ no OCs and lets just say he won the lottery with his 4930k (5.3Ghz @ 1.41V) and a few other things have just given him a power hungry system (eg 4 Intel 730s in Raid 10, and 8 Velicoraptors also in Raid 10)

Okay, with that OC and that many harddrives, no way. No overclock on the CPU and one SSD and one HDD would potentially work with a very good PSU.

I don't think that's how it works xD 

Ya, I was tilting my head after I posted that. Had to Google around and refresh my memory.

And these types of people ''They're by Nvidia not AMD'' end up with console, b*tching about how PC's are not reliable :D

P.s. Show this to you friend crush his spirit. ??? Profit !

LOL he's actually been a PC gamer for longer than I have xD he's just a fanboy >.< is all and yeah his spirits are crushed... according to him "AMD cards are made for two things mining scrypt coins and being a paper weight... and Scrypt coins are no longer profitable"

LOL he's actually been a PC gamer for longer than I have xD he's just a fanboy >.< is all and yeah his spirits are crushed... according to him "AMD cards are made for two things mining scrypt coins and being a paper weight... and Scrypt coins are no longer profitable"

Well I am kind of a Nvidia fanboy, because they always worked for me and never die (My cards ofc). But you should be able to see as an enthusiast that AMD make some awesome stuff. R9 295 X2 - Nvidia got rekt.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Well I am kind of a Nvidia fanboy, because they always worked for me and never die (My cards ofc). But you should be able to see as an enthusiast that AMD make some awesome stuff. R9 295 X2 - Nvidia got rekt.

yeah if you goto the right store (I have a local one they don't sell any Geforce products other than Titan, Titan Black, and Titan Z they don't like Nvidia much and they only sell few quadros) where the Titan Black genuinely depending on the week will cost within $50 of the 295x2 some times more albeit when its more its usually 10-50 more when it's less it can be as much as 200 less. but I laugh seeing 295x2 for $1350 and Titan Black for $1369.99 (which I saw inperson the 50 more I mentioned I only heard from my friend that this thread is about as he works there)

In my country the R9 295 X2 is significantly more expensive than Titan Black, but I thought that R9 295 X2 is more of a competitor to TITAN Z wich is more than double than R9 295 X2.

@GloriousPain I derped and didn't quote. Too lazy to repair it :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

If you're SLIing two gt 610s, MAYBE