Best Solution for Reducing Buzz, Hiss, Artifacts, etc?

ElectricUrinal

I was wondering if any of the users of this forum may have experience in this sort of thing.  Right now, I'm using on-board sound in 5.1 mode and running the analog outputs to 6 different channels on a Soundcraft PA mixer.  I am able to route each of the 6 channels to their own amplifier channel (QSC PLX 3602s), and speakers (EV Qrx Mid/High boxes,EV Qrx 118 Subfoofer and Klipsch center channel).  Yes, the sound is powerful enough to disembowel a water buffalo.  The problem with doing this is the mixer hears every whine, wheeze, buzz, tick, and glitch that is apparent in all PC audio solutions no matter how sophistocated.

One way I thought to relieve this problem is to use a digital to analog converter connected to the sound card's digital output, and convert to analog as far away from the case as possible using a device like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3XT1DD0689&cm_re=digital_to_5.1_analog-_-9SIA3XT1DD0689-_-Product

And feeding the analog outputs to my mixer as usual.  Has anyone tried this?  Is it a viable solution?  I am a retired soundman and have this perfectly good gear laying around and may as well put it to use.  I didn't specifically purchase it for PC use, but it would be nice if I can make use of my existing (very nice) gear and maximize my experience with some helpful advice.

Thanks in advance.

CPU: Intel Devil's Canyon i7-4790K.  Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7.  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X-Series 16gb @ 2133.  GPU: EVGA SuperClocked GTX770.  Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper.  Storage: Plextor M6ePX M.2 256GB SSD/Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB.  PSU: Seasonic 80+ Gold 850watt.  Display(s): LG 42LB6300.  Cooling: Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R.  Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (EVENTUALLY).  Mouse: Logitech G700s.  Sound: Onboard 5.1 analog output - Soundcraft Mixer - QSC Power Amps - ElectroVoice Qrx PA Speakers / Klipsch center channel.  OS: Windows 8.1 Pro.

That would work if I didn't already have a digital output.  My thought is that since the digital signal is pretty much impervious to noise, I should get it away from the case before converting it.  I was just wondering about the quality of the linked unit... if anyone had used one in this manner before.  Seems to be impossible to find a line-level analog multichannel HD audio source these days.  Thanks piracy.  :angry:  Of course I could simply buy a modern receiver... but geez... I have all this high-end professional sound gear already that would eat anything's lunch for breakfast.  Gota be a way I can get what I'm looking for.  Thanks for helping.

CPU: Intel Devil's Canyon i7-4790K.  Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7.  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X-Series 16gb @ 2133.  GPU: EVGA SuperClocked GTX770.  Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper.  Storage: Plextor M6ePX M.2 256GB SSD/Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB.  PSU: Seasonic 80+ Gold 850watt.  Display(s): LG 42LB6300.  Cooling: Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R.  Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (EVENTUALLY).  Mouse: Logitech G700s.  Sound: Onboard 5.1 analog output - Soundcraft Mixer - QSC Power Amps - ElectroVoice Qrx PA Speakers / Klipsch center channel.  OS: Windows 8.1 Pro.

That would work if I didn't already have a digital output.  My thought is that since the digital signal is pretty much impervious to noise, I should get it away from the case before converting it.  I was just wondering about the quality of the linked unit... if anyone had used one in this manner before.  Seems to be impossible to find a line-level analog multichannel HD audio source these days.  Thanks piracy.  :angry:  Of course I could simply buy a modern receiver... but geez... I have all this high-end professional sound gear already that would eat anything's lunch for breakfast.  Gota be a way I can get what I'm looking for.  Thanks for helping.

I'm confused.... is the linked product what you're looking for, or not?

I was considering this as a solution to my problem. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0U00925273

Just wondering if anyone had used it... or a better idea for my situation that I described.

I was considering this as a solution to my problem. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0U00925273

Just wondering if anyone had used it... or a better idea for my situation that I described.

The thing about multichannel over SPDIF is the signals need to be compressed in order to fit within SPIDF's max bandwidth. The item I linked doesn't have that problem because it is USB, and at the same time is lower cost.

I would go with shearme suggestion, it will be very close if not better than the one you linked and has optical if using the usb introduces any interference/groudloop issues.  

Also have you tried turning you sound cards outputs up as high as they can and using the attenuators/faders on the sound board?  this would give you more signal from the pc and lower the amount of gain you use on the mixer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.