BSOD after new CPU HeatSink

Lyquel
BSOD after new CPU HeatSink

So me and my friend installed a new cpu heat sync and dusted out his computer with a air compressor. we just installed a new windows 7 os and he still is blue screening. he was getting KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED / SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCPTION / IRQL errors and such. We also moved the ram around but i dont think it is the cause. the heat sink we installed was http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118036

Here is his build

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1wuTorBJcHkY3JSY1haSFBqLVE/edit?usp=sh...

why did you buy that crappy cooler?

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Could be the temps, ram, but most likey the power supply because 500w is not enough, you need 600w or more.

Edit: you friends should have got the hyper 212 evo

why did you buy that crappy cooler?

Maybe he got it for free because it crappy and not everybody wants it. 

Maybe he got it for free because it crappy and not everybody wants it. 

but don't AMD FX CPUs come with heatsinks?

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

but don't AMD FX CPUs come with heatsinks?

AMD include heatsinks but their not good for overclocking. Unless he bought it used then i don't know why he got that heatsink.

but most likey the power supply because 500w is not enough, you need 600w or more.

Edit: you friends should have got the hyper 212 evo

The power supply wattage is totally fine. He probably should've invested $25-30 dollars on his cpu heatsink. ^_^

@Lyquel I know understand the PC blue screened however I want to know if you can go into the bios & check the temps with the cheap heatsink he bought. Maybe the cpu over-heated due to the lack of thermal dissipation from the coolers size.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

The power supply wattage is totally fine. He probably should've invested $25-30 dollars on his cpu heatsink. ^_^

@Lyquel I know understand the PC blue screened however I want to know if you can go into the bios & check the temps with the cheap heatsink he bought. Maybe the cpu over-heated due to the lack of thermal dissipation from the coolers size.

He could of put thermal paste wrong on the heatsink which would have cause it to overheat.

Do you reccomend that I reinstall the stock heatsink?

Do you reccomend that I reinstall the stock heatsink?

If possible yes please. Don't forget to add thermal compound although you could get away without it but it'd help if you did apply it of course.

Check the bios for the cpu temp & then re-try the other heat sink, if it doesn't work maybe the cooler isn't doing a good job.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

If possible yes please. Don't forget to add thermal compound although you could get away without it but it'd help if you did apply it of course.

Check the bios for the cpu temp & then re-try the other heat sink, if it doesn't work maybe the cooler isn't doing a good job.

switched heatsink. Running at almost identical heat and have yet to crash. Testing in a game.

100 percent the CPU heatsink issue. I also managed to strip the screw the case that secures the graphics card. I am going to buy a new case and heatsink, for heatsink is this recommended http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-20PK-R2/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1407051908&sr=1-1&keywords=hyper+212+evo

100 percent the CPU heatsink issue. I also managed to strip the screw the case that secures the graphics card. I am going to buy a new case and heatsink, for heatsink is this recommended http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-20PK-R2/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1407051908&sr=1-1&keywords=hyper+212+evo

Good to hear. Now I can freely eat my peanut butter sandwich :D Why do you need a new case? doesn't your case support a 150mm height tower cooler?

Good to hear. Now I can freely eat my peanut butter sandwich :D Why do you need a new case? doesn't your case support a 150mm height tower cooler?

. I stripped the screw holding the GPU so it doesn't hold the GPU. Plus mine blows.

it crashed agian

it crashed agian

Really...

Really...

yes. Should I order the evo 212 and hope it is a heatsink issue. I reinstalled windows, reinstalled all drivers,and I don't know what to do.

yes. Should I order the evo 212 and hope it is a heatsink issue. I reinstalled windows, reinstalled all drivers,and I don't know what to do.

If it's not a overheating problem I'm not entirely sure what the issue is. Just for re-assurance; no overclocks, no bios modifications anything & everything is stock.

If it's not a overheating problem I'm not entirely sure what the issue is. Just for re-assurance; no overclocks, no bios modifications anything & everything is stock.

correct. My friend is bringing by his PC and we are going to do a diagnostic and if that doesn't have any results swap out each piece one at a time to isolate the damaged component. Until then I'm going to sleep on it. I'll be back on the thread as soon as I wake up.

correct. My friend is bringing by his PC and we are going to do a diagnostic and if that doesn't have any results swap out each piece one at a time to isolate the damaged component. Until then I'm going to sleep on it. I'll be back on the thread as soon as I wake up.

I'll follow the thread or else I'll forget.

thanks for the help kind stranger.

we ran a diagnostic and the ram failed. I am testing it with another stick of ram to confirm. We think it ESD'd when dusting.