My "Nothing to brag about" Rig :P

Harue

Welp, title pretty much says it all, this rig isn't something to really brag about, just thought I'd show it off and maybe update as I upgrade parts here and there. Currently this build is just to replace the really slow laptop I was using after having to sell my previous gaming rig. A lot of the parts from this will also be recycled for a computer I'm building my sis this Christmas :P

Anyway, here are some pics.

7JUedIel.jpg

mQq0AD1l.jpg

wosxPial.jpg

oAJvHGbl.jpg

Specs are:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258

RAM: Team Memory Elite 8GB 1600MHz

GPU: PNY GTX 650 1GB (was the easiest thing to get my hands on at the time)

MoBo: MSI Z97 PC Mate (Got it on sale from newegg for $85)

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 550W

Storage: One 1TB Samsung 2.5" and One 750GB Toshiba 2.5" (All I had lying around, getting an SSD this week though, Maybe some suggestions?)

Peripherals

Mouse: Logitech G600

Keyboard: Logitech G710+ (Loving the brown switches)

DIsplay: Asus VX228 22" 1080p 1ms Response (Gorgeous display, but no VESA mount T-T)

Headset: Razer Kraken Pro (Got it on sale and was in need of a headset)

Like I said above, nothing to really brag about at the moment. Will start to get better in the next couple months though :P

Planned upgrades

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1246 v3

Cooler: Swiftech H220-X

MoBo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7

GPU: Either a 780 or an R9 290x

PSU: Seasonic X-850

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

HDD: WD Red 2TB

SSD: OCZ Vertex 460 240GB

Still deciding on a few other things like RAM and if I really want the AIO Swiftech or to just go all out and build a custom loop lol

Let me know what you guys think, maybe give some suggestions on parts you think might be a good value. Be gentle though, this is very much a work in progress haha

upgrading the motherboard, is throwing away money.

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

not bad. What keycaps are on your g710+?

EDIT - @Bagmup has a good point, especially since you say you are getting a 220x. You can't overclock a xeon and then the 220X will be useless

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

I'd go with a 4690k or 4790k instead of a Xeon.

but hey, if you put effort into researching and building a PC, that's an accomplishment most people won't ever do. and that's something to brag about.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Why Xeon over i5?

The Xeon I have picked out has HyperThreading and Quicksync capabilities, The i5 is a good value but I'm gonna be rendering, streaming and doing a lot of photoshop along with gaming so I figure I can utilize the extra horsepower of the Xeon. :)

The Xeon I have picked out has HyperThreading and Quicksync capabilities, The i5 is a good value but I'm gonna be rendering, streaming and doing a lot of photoshop along with gaming so I figure I can utilize the extra horsepower of the Xeon. :)

fair call, good choice.

I would keep the motherboard you already have

I would keep the motherboard you already have

Unless the old one is going in the computer he's giving to his sister...?

True, but the MSI Z97 Gaming 7 has more features then the current one I'm using, wont really utilize the overclocking capabilities of the board but things like the headphone amp and the m.2 slot will definitely be nice to have :P

getting an SSD this week though, Maybe some suggestions?

How much do you want to spend? And how much capacity do you want? (Sorta the same question asked twice, lol)

I'd go with a 4690k or 4790k instead of a Xeon.

but hey, if you put effort into researching and building a PC, that's an accomplishment most people won't ever do. and that's something to brag about.

I was really considering the 4790k but I'm not gonna be doing any overclocking so I couldn't justify spending the extra cash on that when I could put it towards the GPU. It's still a possibility though, maybe if I get a nice pay increase haha

How much do you want to spend? And how much capacity do you want? (Sorta the same question asked twice, lol)

I would say anywhere between $70 and $150, as for capacity I would like a 240/256 but would take a nice reliable 120/128, I have a couple in my newegg wish list right now that I'm torn between lol one being the OCZ Vertex I have listed above and a Crucial MX100 256gb, I'm open to suggestions though :P

I'm not gonna be using it for my sister's rig since I'll be going the AMD route for her's (She wants to get started streaming to twitch and stuff) so this MoBo will more then likely be used for the Media PC I'll be building around the Pentium after I upgrade. Also Considering doing a Steam machine with the pentium as well lol

I would say anywhere between $70 and $150, as for capacity I would like a 240/256 but would take a nice reliable 120/128, I have a couple in my newegg wish list right now that I'm torn between lol one being the OCZ Vertex I have listed above and a Crucial MX100 256gb, I'm open to suggestions though :P

Either of those would be fine, TBH any 250/256GB SSD from a reputable brand should be fine :)

Either of those would be fine, TBH any 250/256GB SSD from a reputable brand should be fine :)

Ok cool, I'll more then likely go with the OCZ, but the reputation Crucial SSDs have for reliability makes the decision a little difficult lol it's a little slower but I do like my components to be reliable haha

Nothing to say, but have fun :)

Thanks, will do :)

not bad. What keycaps are on your g710+?

EDIT - @Bagmup has a good point, especially since you say you are getting a 220x. You can't overclock a xeon and then the 220X will be useless

The Keycaps are just the optional ones from my old Corsair K60, and yeah that's true, I was thinking about a nice Air Cooler but I like the mostly clean aesthetic of Liquid Cooling. True I won't really need liquid cooling, but it never hurts to have your system running really cool. Lower temps equal longer life span in most cases so why not go all out lol I'm also taking into account that the H220X is only $140 which seems like a great bargain for something I can add another loop to.

yeah, but he could buy a cheaper one for the next computer for his sister?

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

yeah, but he could buy a cheaper one for the next computer for his sister?

Pretty much lol since she will be on the AMD platform the board is probably going to be less expensive then this one was :P

The Keycaps are just the optional ones from my old Corsair K60, and yeah that's true, I was thinking about a nice Air Cooler but I like the mostly clean aesthetic of Liquid Cooling. True I won't really need liquid cooling, but it never hurts to have your system running really cool. Lower temps equal longer life span in most cases so why not go all out lol I'm also taking into account that the H220X is only $140 which seems like a great bargain for something I can add another loop to.

ok thanks, that is a fair enough reason. Also the aesthetics  :wub:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

ok thanks, that is a fair enough reason. Also the aesthetics  :wub:

No problem :) and yeah, have some big plans for the completed build, I keep thinking of all the modding possibilities of the Phanteks Enthoo Luxe lol :3