Computer shuts itself off during some games

Go to solution Solved by Geekazoid,

Your computer's shutting itself down in some games you say? Well I can tell you a couple of possible reasons why this would be occurring, they are as follows:

1) It doesn't like you playing those games and so with no other way to stop you it simply powers off, or

2) It's tired and wants to sleep and you're not letting it and so it keeps shutting itself down because it doesn't wish to be used.

:P:D (JK)

@Dumbpants

I recently have been having an issue with a few games, watch dogs and skyrim. Both games had the same issue; my computer would out right shut off, and sometimes it would power itself back on, and sometimes I would have to cycle the power. With watch dogs, it was before the sli patch, so my game would just crash anytime I had sli enabled, until I downloaded the official patch and that issue was no longer found. I thought I was safe until I started modding with skyrim, notable with a realistic ENB mod. The game would run well, both cards running 80-100 %, temps around 60-79 C. I've read up on this issue and found that this can be caused by either not enough wattage from your power supply (I have 850W), or temps getting too hot for the gpu and it would shut itself off for safety. Both sound great, but my rig doesn't seem to be experiencing either of these. My next thought went to a vram issue (although I would think I'd get a bsod and not complete power loss). I had skyrim's max vram usage set to 2944 MB (total vram - 128 MB), and then set the max to 2560 (total vram - .5 GB), but I still experienced crashing in both instances. Any ideas on the issue? I'm at a total loss.

i7-4770k @3.5GHz | 2 EVGA gtx 780 SC ACX in SLI | AsRock Xtreme4 z87 | Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 | Corsiar HX-850 | NZXT Phantom 410 |                                                                                                                                                   CoolerMaster Siedon 120XL AIO Water Cooler | X-Star 1440p 27"

my pc would too when i play AOE III, for probably the same reason it does for you.

WD is terribly buggy still and stuff

Skyrim, well. Too many mods? maybe just one mod that is very optimized?

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Yea, watch dogs is pretty much trash in that regard, I know. And I do have a lot of mods on in skyrim, and it could be one of them, but what could be the very base issue that causes the entire computer to lose power? Is the ram calling something that isn't there? And also, is this harmful for my pc if it crashes unexpectedly like this? Thanks a lot for replying.

i7-4770k @3.5GHz | 2 EVGA gtx 780 SC ACX in SLI | AsRock Xtreme4 z87 | Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 | Corsiar HX-850 | NZXT Phantom 410 |                                                                                                                                                   CoolerMaster Siedon 120XL AIO Water Cooler | X-Star 1440p 27"

your CPU could be overheating and shutting off, or your PSU could be shutting down.

I don't know anything else that would cause it

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Your computer's shutting itself down in some games you say? Well I can tell you a couple of possible reasons why this would be occurring, they are as follows:

1) It doesn't like you playing those games and so with no other way to stop you it simply powers off, or

2) It's tired and wants to sleep and you're not letting it and so it keeps shutting itself down because it doesn't wish to be used.

@Dumbpants

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

@Dumbpants

Best answer.

Best answer.

Haha thanks. There's always a simple solution to such problems. :P

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Well, it is not my cpu, I don't think, as the temps were 49 C across all 4 cores. Oh, well, I'll just not use some of these mods I suppose. Thanks for the help. And how do you reply to someone with @ like that Geekazoid?

Try running 3d mark or something cpu + gpu intensive