What are issues/annoyances that came up while building your PC?

rambi36

I was trying to install my Hyper 212 evo earlier today (at this point yesterday since it's past midight) and it was so annoying and I rage quit and i'l try it again tomorrow. I'm just curious to see if you guys have dealt with annoying problems when building your rigs.

Life.exe is missing

Didn't have a proper place to build it. Windows 8.1 wouldn't install DirectX after I installed all my stuff. Had to reinstall everything on Windows 7.

The 2600 that a friend gave me didn't work so I had to send back the motherboard I bought for it and get a 8320 

THE FREAKING BACK IO PANEL!!!!. Also, installing the GPU cause I'm weak/didn't want to break it.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Me and my friend (@athesean1) were building my PC and when plugging in the graphics card power cables I could not do it (small case) so he tried and got it. Also once we were done building and we were installing windows 8.1 it wasn't the USB drive thingy would not work. The drive would show up and we would get to the setup and then somewhere choosing the drives it just wouldn't work, so of cause @athesean1 to the rescue he recommended that we should try burning the files to a disk and it worked first try.

thankyou @athesean1

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

the gradual realization that I built a bad machine
of course, it was only $400

Woo!

THE FREAKING BACK IO PANEL!!!!. Also, installing the GPU cause I'm weak/didn't want to break it.

You have a GT 640... I'm pretty sure it doesn't weigh that much :P just be glad you didn't have cpu cooler installation issues ;)

Life.exe is missing

The front IO connectors 

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

You have a GT 640... I'm pretty sure it doesn't weigh that much :P just be glad you didn't have cpu cooler installation issues ;)

Yeah. It's more of the latch on the PCI E slot being a pain. And you are correct.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

My case is a mid tower.... Kinda wished I spent more money for a full ATX but thats what happens when you have a budget 

CPU: i5 25000 3.3 GHz             Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V-LK          Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB           Display: Samsung SD24 24" 1080p          

GPU: EVGA GTX 660 SC 2 GB     Sound: Razer Kraken pro                            PSU: Rosewill 630 watt                    Storage 1: 128 GB Adata XPG SX900 SSD

Case: Rosewill Challenger       CPU Cooler: Corsair h80i                    Mouse: Corsair M65                                   Storage 2: Seagate 2 TB HDD

Right angled USB 3.0 header could not use the cable management hole that would make the build look cleaner. Also had to RMA my GTX 780.

Realising that i got shit components (i was 12)

My corsair air 540 has hot swap bays at the bottom of the front side of the case and if they're not populated with drives then you have big ol holes in the bottom of the case but it looks stupid if you put drives there

The little piece that i had to turn around on my cnps5x was pretty frustrating, i had to install it in the case

Trying to screw the motherboard standoffs as much as i could with pliers was awkward and figuring out why there are useless little arms on the i/o shield that were in the way. Installing the motherboard was the worst thing i had to do, i also lost some standoff screws

My cx 430w didn't have enough pcie cables for my 6870 so i had to use my old tr2 600w

Everyone had problems with front I/O, luckily, I haven't built a PC :P

I was trying to install my Hyper 212 evo earlier today (at this point yesterday since it's past midight) and it was so annoying and I rage quit and i'l try it again tomorrow. I'm just curious to see if you guys have dealt with annoying problems when building your rigs.

Same here! I had my dad do it for me :) he knows zero about computers and did it in a few seconds no sweat

my first time building was on carpet.  I shocked the mobo, cooking everything inside and stopping the cpu fan.  CPU got to 150c and didnt turn off for some reason? I had to get a new mobo and cpu.   good times at silicon bar and grill!

STEAM NAME: JewishBacon GPU  Sapphire dual x R9 280x OC edition CPU core i7 4770k stock speed COOLER H100i  CASE Fractal R4 Window Black  MOBO MSI gd-65 gaming Storage 1TB WD Blue drive, 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm, 120 GB OCZ SSD, 64 GB WD Blue ssd  RAM 12 GB @ 1600 Ghz kingston RAM  MiscNZXT HUE, disk read/write, 2x 21 inch 1920x1080 monitors   

I installed all the power supply plugs through the hole in the case but I couldn't install the PSU because of a bracket blocking it (CM elite 130) had to take all dem plugs out, and I forgot to install the backplate after installing mobo... (same build)

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Forgetting to switch the switch on the PSU every damn time I turn it off.
That and Win 8 not carrying over all my programs from 7, making me reinstall everything.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

Me and my friend (@athesean1) were building my PC and when plugging in the graphics card power cables I could not do it (small case) so he tried and got it. Also once we were done building and we were installing windows 8.1 it wasn't the USB drive thingy would not work. The drive would show up and we would get to the setup and then somewhere choosing the drives it just wouldn't work, so of cause @athesean1 to the rescue he recommended that we should try burning the files to a disk and it worked first try.

thankyou @athesean1

your welcome :P

u wot m7+1

I couldnt get my fucking 760 out of my build. It was stuck somehow^^

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Where to start... IO Shield is so flimsy that it won't stay in the hole.

• The attaching screws on the Dark Rock 3 are a royal pain. You need 3 hands to get everything done and even then one screw just had to move out of the right hole and the whole thing has to be taken apart and fixed.
  • The top CPU power cutout is really small and I have to get 2! cables in there while working around the cooler. There's no frigging space!
  • Finding out that those plastic protectors on the m/bd IO connectors have come off or it won't go through the shield. Now you have to remove them while holding onto the board, not short or ground out anything, bend anything and those #$!!!! psu cables are getting tight again.
  • Getting everything in, connected and fired up and it's glorious! Every connection works, it looks fantastic and it was worth every scrape and trial. You put in the USB to load Win for the first time and... what!!!!? 3 frigging hours later realize that the USB thing isn't working and use the CD and it works like a charm.
  • Button up the case and reboot and.. black screen. Spend a half an hour retracing all the steps, finding SFA and then finding the plug into the monitor came loose and it's been working fine all this time. *sigh*
  • Scared to reopen the case to unwire and rewire to improve cable mgmt. It's working just fine without that.

Other than that it was easy and flawless!

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

dem non-modular PSU ....

it's a pain in ass to just fit them in the casing. 

CPU: Intel i5-4670K CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1 Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz 16GB Storage:  Samsung 850 evo 250GB ,1TB WD BLUE, Seagate Barracuda 2TB GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX970 4GB Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair AX760 Full Modular Monitor: Dell 23" S2340L IPS Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Mouse: Logitech G502(w/ Mi Metal Mousepad) Headphone: Audio Technica ATH-M50/MSR-7 Speaker: Edifier Studio 7 R2730DB