[NDTV] Samsung Suspends Business with Chinese Manufacturer Due to "Child Labour"

EChondo

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/samsung-halts-business-with-chinese-supplier-over-child-labour-fears-558116

Samsung Electronics Co Ltd said on Monday it had suspended business with a Chinese supplier it suspected of employing child labour, less than a week after a U.S. watchdog report accused the supplier of using under-aged workers.
The South Korean smartphone maker said it found an "illegal hiring process" at Dongguan Shinyang Electronics Co Ltd, which supplies mobile phone covers and parts.

Samsung added that it had previously found no child workers at the Chinese company in three audits since 2013. The latest audit ended on June 25.

"The Chinese authorities are also looking into the case," Samsung said in a statement on Monday, adding that it would cut all ties with the supplier if the allegations were true.

"If the investigations conclude that the supplier indeed hired children illegally, Samsung will permanently halt business with the supplier in accordance with its zero-tolerance policy on child labour," it said.

U.S.-based China Labor Watch released a report on Thursday alleging that the Chinese firm used child labour. The U.S. watchdog said it had found "at least five child workers" without contracts at the supplier.

Samsung demands suppliers adopt a hiring process that includes face-to-face interviews and the use of scanners to detect fake IDs, to ensure no child labourers are employed.

But China Labor Watch said that Samsung's monitoring system was ineffective.

The watchdog accused one of Samsung's suppliers of using child labour in 2012. Samsung subsequently said it found no under-aged workers at the facility.

This is a very delicate topic as we don't know if the manufacturer knew about this, or not. Supposedly they did due to an illegal hiring process and Samsung supposedly knew about this as well because it seems as if Samsung is allegedly covering up its findings and reports from previous years. However, people need money and if the children lied to gain a position at the plant, then who's really at fault here?

I guess it could go either way. I know personally if I could have started working before 16 years old, I would have done it.

You're right, it is delicate. Would the children be better off without a job? Probably not.

I don't pretend to know much about the topic, but I feel the responsibility lies mostly on the government of that country to create a stable enough economy where children don't need jobs.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

I know personally if I could have started working before 16 years old, I would have done it.

Without wanting to light a fire here, there's a difference between wanting to work so that you have spending money and being forced into work so that your parents can afford food and a roof over your head.

However you're right that it's a delicate topic. Because they do need the money, but the parents who should be working for more money can't exactly demand a pay rise. What to do, what to do...

I'd like to know the actual ages of the people in question here.

Honestly Samsung and most people using Chinese manufacturing know this stuff, they just don't like to get caught. And no it's not Samsung bias either: I know for a fact that many American companies usually outsource several parts of their business knowing that some of the reasons they get such a good deal is that the partner companies often ignore labour laws, not as severely but still damaging for employees.

Whenever I see this kinds of news I automatically assume this was at the very least willful ignorance.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Title is wrong, it should be;

Chinese Manufacturer Suspends Business with Samsung Due to "Child Labour"

You see documentaries all the time about the conditions even adult workers have to work in and how little they get paid. I remember once there was child workers in a factory (Clothing mind you but applies to all sectors really) who confirmed that they would often be hidden whenever an inspection was due. 

I don't think its a delicate area, its something that SHOULD be made very public.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

I don't think its a delicate area, its something that SHOULD be made very public.

Oh for sure, by delicate I mean, should people under the age of 16 have the ability to work if they want/need to? That's what is delicate.

Without wanting to light a fire here, there's a difference between wanting to work so that you have spending money and being forced into work so that your parents can afford food and a roof over your head.

However you're right that it's a delicate topic. Because they do need the money, but the parents who should be working for more money can't exactly demand a pay rise. What to do, what to do...

Oh the money I'd earn when working under 16 would go straight to savings for a car for myself. Sure, some would be spending money, but most of it would go towards a new car and also saving up for a house.

I didn't start working till 17 though, and I am nowhere near enough for a Tesla :(