Pokemon kids NAS

the pokemon kid

Hey guys,

I have just finished building my NAS and I am very proud of it! So... I just wanted to show it off a little! Got a few small updates to do to it/ installing FreeNAS onto it!

Parts:

Case - Lian Li PC-A51 (Non windowed)

CPU - Intel Pentium G3220

Motherboard - ASRock H97M pro

RAM - 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury

HDD - 6 x 2TB Western digital Green drives

CPU cooler - Coolermaster Hyper TX3 evo with one 92mm BeQuiet Silent wings fans

Fans - 3 x Corsair AF120's, Corsair AF140 (all fans on 7V fan speed reducer)

PSU - Corsair CX500M

NIC - HP NC360T Dual NIC

Things to do:
Sound proof the case/ HDD's

Reduce fan speed

Install and use FreeNAS

Possibly add some more drives!!!

New parts:

Case: Fractal Design R5 in Black

CPU: Intel i3-4130t

CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO

Motherboard: Supermicro X10SAE

Ram: 4x 8GB Kingston 1600mhz ECC RAM

Hard drives: 8x 2TB Western Digital RED drives

Fans: 3x 140mm Noiseblocker E-Loops

PSU: XFX 460W Passive fully modular power supply

NIC: HP NC360T Dual NIC

very clean. looks great!

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Seeing this makes me want that case even more, but I would get the WX version (painted interior).

Yeh, the black interior looks sooooo sick. The only thing is that the window looks horrible...

The plexi on the outside is really confusing decision to me, if they had of stuck it on the inside it would look sooo much better IMO.

The plexi on the outside is really confusing decision to me, if they had of stuck it on the inside it would look sooo much better IMO.

Yeh, exactly! They have such sleek design and then they do that!

And anyway, I want to put sound dampening material inside it to make it silent so the non windowed one works for me!

I installed the FreeNAS image onto my memory stick, plugged it in and booted the system up. Everything ran perfectly (Of course!). It then ran through a large amount of setup before giving me an IP address. I changed this one to suit my home network and then I logged into via my browser on my main computer.

After fighting with the system for quite some time! I finally worked out how to create a RAID 10 Array within FreeNAS. It took me a while because of the lack of information on how to do this (they have three lines in a web document.)

14443376597_ab1315ca7e_b.jpgRAID 10 by Mat Teague, on Flickr

For anyone who is having trouble. All you need to do is create a mirrored volume of two of the drives. Then go into the ZFS volume manager after creating your first volume and just extend the volume with another two mirrored drives. Do this until you have used all the drives you want/ got your desired size and you now have a RAID 10 Array! :D:D

You used kinda "expensive" components for a Nas. But eitherway, looks really clean.

You used kinda "expensive" components for a Nas. But eitherway, looks really clean.

I got given the CPU, single stick of RAM and 5 of the hard drives for free. Pulled the NIC from an old build and filled it with fans I had in a draw. The CPU cooler was from an old PC and the fans on it were from the draw again...

Only things that I bought myself are the Case ( was on a half price deal), one of the hard drives, one stick of RAM and the motherboard (cheapest I could find, that fit the CPU and had 6x SATA 6GB/s. The PSU was also from a friend who had just recently upgraded.

Really all it cost me to build this NAS was about £260!

I got given the CPU, single stick of RAM and 5 of the hard drives for free. Pulled the NIC from an old build and filled it with fans I had in a draw. The CPU cooler was from an old PC and the fans on it were from the draw again...

Only things that I bought myself are the Case ( was on a half price deal), one of the hard drives, one stick of RAM and the motherboard (cheapest I could find, that fit the CPU and had 6x SATA 6GB/s. The PSU was also from a friend who had just recently upgraded.

Really all it cost me to build this NAS was about £260!

#worthit

hey kid! psssssssssss over here! come closer.... i wanna see... your cable management.... good day kid *jumps over the fence*

For anyone who is having trouble. All you need to do is create a mirrored volume of two of the drives. Then go into the ZFS volume manager after creating your first volume and just extend the volume with another two mirrored drives. Do this until you have used all the drives you want/ got your desired size and you now have a RAID 10 Array! :D :D

Good to know !! xD

I love it

I love it

I love it

Thank you :D

hey kid! psssssssssss over here! come closer.... i wanna see... your cable management.... good day kid *jumps over the fence*

I will get a picture of the cable management. I am happy with that also, Modded the SATA power cable so it wasn't so messy!

Good to know !! xD

Yeh, It took me a while to find it out! Might help someone in the future I guess.

I also checked the fans out last night and they were making a racket. I have now swapped them to the spare Corsair AF120's Low noise fans I had from my other build. Sounds much quieter now! Going to inspect the Air penatrators to see what was wrong with them!

I also did a little test. I took a fan off the CPU cooler to see what sort of difference in sound/ cooling it had. I lost 2 degrees of cooling for a lot quieter cooler. Will be running one fan from now on...

Update time!

I got the sound dampening material through the post a short time ago and I immediately went to carpeting the case! It has made a large improvement in reducing noise output by a lot! Just need to find a way of doing it in the top without suffocating the two fans.

14676141325_b1f3af7d7e_b.jpgSound dampening the computer by Mat Teague, on Flickr

Here is the AF140mm fan I put in place instead of the Lian Li fan. All the fans which came with the case seemed to be running at a angle and were rubbing against their housing. This was another fan I had in the draw and is running with a 7V fan speed reducer. You can also see a bit of the cable management going on in the background.
14489454940_0886486453_b.jpgSound dampening the computer by Mat Teague, on Flickr

I also carpeted the hard drives to get the noise of them reduced. They do seam to make a rather large amount of noise when I am writing to them...
14676122855_c5595770ae_b.jpgSound dampening the computer by Mat Teague, on Flickr

At the same time, I added the foam to the front of the case. This was to help reduce the noise coming out of the PSU and the front intake/ Hard drives.

14672922941_163bd60698_b.jpgSound dampening the computer by Mat Teague, on Flickr

Standard site panel sound dampening. This reduced the noise by a lot!
14489474978_1698a400ef_b.jpgSound dampening the computer by Mat Teague, on Flickr

I then added the foam onto the bottom of the case and on top of the PSU to help reduce noise output.
14489645327_261069423e_b.jpgSound dampening the computer by Mat Teague, on Flickr

Here is another angle. Also you can see at the front of the case the two small strips of foam I added to help reduce noise even more! Also the rear vent is now foamed up, just didnt bother taking a photo...
14673750574_264dcf34a5_b.jpgSound dampening the computer by Mat Teague, on Flickr

On the unfortunate side, the power went off the other day whilst I was out and it was running. I came back and powered it up. Now only the CPU fan header and Chassis fan 3 work. So I am now having to wait for a molex to 3x 3pin 5V adapter to turn up. Should be here tomorrow morning.

• 8 months later...

Hey guys,

I have just finished building my NAS and I am very proud of it! So... I just wanted to show it off a little! Got a few small updates to do to it/ installing FreeNAS onto it!

Parts:

Case - Lian Li PC-A51 (Non windowed)

CPU - Intel Pentium G3220

Motherboard - ASRock H97M pro

RAM - 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury

HDD - 6 x 2TB Western digital Green drives

CPU cooler - Coolermaster Hyper TX3 evo with one 92mm BeQuiet Silent wings fans

Fans - 3 x Corsair AF120's, Corsair AF140 (all fans on 7V fan speed reducer)

PSU - Corsair CX500M

NIC - HP NC360T Dual NIC

Things to do:

Sound proof the case/ HDD's

Reduce fan speed

Install and use FreeNAS

Possibly add some more drives!!!

Pictures of here up soon!

Nice build! I myself am thinking of building a NAS and running FreeNas, ZFS system. So far is your system running good with non ECC memory? (no errors) 

I'm thinking of using the Pentium Anniversary Edition, some Z97 or H97 board. Any recommendations for a NAS just for backing up and FTP?

Desktop: i5 4670k, Z97-K, 16GB, MSI GTX 770, Evga 850G2, TT T31

Freenas Server: i3 4170, X10-SLL-F-O, Crucial 16GB UDIMM, 4x4TB WD Red, Evga 550GS, Fractal 804

Peripheral: K60, HyperX Cloud

Mobile: Nexus 6P 

Nice build! I myself am thinking of building a NAS and running FreeNas, ZFS system. So far is your system running good with non ECC memory? (no errors) 

I'm thinking of using the Pentium Anniversary Edition, some Z97 or H97 board. Any recommendations for a NAS just for backing up and FTP?

I wouldn't touch ZFS without ECC ram, sure it'll probably be fine but is "probably" good enough for your data? It's up to you.

Read this if you want:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzHapVfrocfwbXYxcGgycEIzNG8/edit

Remember this with ZFS if you have non ECC ram that goes bad without you noticing "Backups will also be destroyed because the original data itself is damaged."

2500K @ 4.5GHz | ASRock P67 Extreme 6 | 16GB Ram | GTX 750 Ti | 250gb SSD | 1TB+2TB HDD | 720W CoolerMaster PSU | Essense STX Sound Card | Define R5

I have had no issues what so ever so far (Not to jynx myself). I would however like to of opted for western digital red drives instead of the greens as there has been some problems with using greens and ZFS for other people...

I am running raid 10 on it currently. I use my NAS as a media server for the house hold, I also use it as an FTP server for really valuable data and I use it as a backup for my systems. My main rig backs up to it once a month.

You can also install the minecraft server on it. I had it running off it for a short while! 

I have had no issues what so ever so far (Not to jynx myself). I would however like to of opted for western digital red drives instead of the greens as there has been some problems with using greens and ZFS for other people...

I am running raid 10 on it currently. I use my NAS as a media server for the house hold, I also use it as an FTP server for really valuable data and I use it as a backup for my systems. My main rig backs up to it once a month.

You can also install the minecraft server on it. I had it running off it for a short while! 

Nice! I'm also of running Raid 5 or 10. So how do you stream media to other parts of your house? Does it have problems showing videos and such? FreeNas has jails for other servers right?

Thanks

Freenas Server: i3 4170, X10-SLL-F-O, Crucial 16GB UDIMM, 4x4TB WD Red, Evga 550GS, Fractal 804

Nice! I'm also of running Raid 5 or 10. So how do you stream media to other parts of your house? Does it have problems showing videos and such? FreeNas has jails for other servers right?

Thanks

I stream content pretty much every night. I have never had a problem. I was even watching the 26gb version of the dark night rises the other day and it was very smooth!

I stream content pretty much every night. I have never had a problem. I was even watching the 26gb version of the dark night rises the other day and it was very smooth!

When you stream do you just map your NAS under Windows explorer on your computer and select the files to play using Windows media player (not using Plex)?