Direct to Die Cooling 4790K

Hey guys! I recently picked up an i7-4790K and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for delidding and mounting waterblocks directly to the core of the CPU and ditching the IHS. I know it's possible, but I'm just not sure about being able to make proper contact from block to die and I'm not sure how the hold down plate will work without the IHS. I'd want to use my XSPC Raystorm block and the NT-H1 I currently have. I've only managed to find one other person who has done this same thing with his 4770K and a Raystorm block, but that doesn't exactly give me full confidence :P. I can handle the delidding itself, but I'd really rather ditch the IHS if I can. 

I should also mention that while running Prime95 (small fft) at 1.15v I'm getting about 75C and it skyrockets to 97-100 at 1.25v... I'm fairly confident this is a IHS/ intel thermal compound issue as my cooling should be more than adequate... 

What do you guys think? I'm not sure if this belongs in CPUs or Liquid cooling as it's a little of both. :P

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

The IHS is there for a reason. To spread heat, not center it into a small area.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Hey guys! I recently picked up an i7-4790K and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for delidding and mounting waterblocks directly to the core of the CPU and ditching the IHS. I know it's possible, but I'm just not sure about being able to make proper contact from block to die and I'm not sure how the hold down plate will work without the IHS. I'd want to use my XSPC Raystorm block and the NT-H1 I currently have. I've only managed to find one other person who has done this same thing with his 4770K and a Raystorm block, but that doesn't exactly give me full confidence :P. I can handle the delidding itself, but I'd really rather ditch the IHS if I can. 

I should also mention that while running Prime95 (small fft) at 1.15v I'm getting about 75C and it skyrockets to 97-100 at 1.25v... I'm fairly confident this is a IHS/ intel thermal compound issue as my cooling should be more than adequate... 

What do you guys think? I'm not sure if this belongs in CPUs or Liquid cooling as it's a little of both. :P

from what i know of the 4790k doesnt need to be delidded if it does you can replace the IHS and it should still give you fine temps as intel has changed the TIM they used on the devils canyon chips as they found out how bad it was when overclocked. ive read on here also that prime95 and haswell based chips are not a good mix. you should try intel burn test or aida64 to check the temps. 

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

you will need your own bolts, nuts and plastic washers to make the mounting system work. figure out how much pressure and such...

best way to do this would be to delid, replace the thermal paste with coolaboratory ultra and keep using the ihs.

lap that ihs if youre really worried. youre already going to take 20c off with delidding, that extra 1c off will be cool

edit: either way, use coolabs paste for best results on bare die. regular paste for ihs

See if you can get one of those delid guard add-ons, and a z97 mpower board, if not see if EK makes a "naked" waterblock kit for it.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

See if you can get one of those delid guard add-ons, and a z97 mpower board, if not see if EK makes a "naked" waterblock kit for it.

woop

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-supremacy-precisemount-add-on-naked-ivy.html

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

from what i know of the 4790k doesnt need to be delidded if it does you can replace the IHS and it should still give you fine temps as intel has changed the TIM they used on the devils canyon chips as they found out how bad it was when overclocked. ive read on here also that prime95 and haswell based chips are not a good mix. you should try intel burn test or aida64 to check the temps. 

Thanks for the aida64 and intel burn test tip. I don't get the crazy temp spikes in either of those programs even at 1.3v. I've also seen speculations that while the new TIM is definitely better, it only seems to be about 5C better at the same voltage and clock as what was on the 4770K. 

you will need your own bolts, nuts and plastic washers to make the mounting system work. figure out how much pressure and such...

best way to do this would be to delid, replace the thermal paste with coolaboratory ultra and keep using the ihs.

lap that ihs if youre really worried. youre already going to take 20c off with delidding, that extra 1c off will be cool

edit: either way, use coolabs paste for best results on bare die. regular paste for ihs

After testing with Aida64 and Intel Burn Test, I'm feeling less disappointed with my temps than before so I think I'm leaning toward your recommendation now :)

Is there something about the Z97 MPower that is better for naked CPUs than the Z87 version? I'm currently running with the Z87 and after the effort I've put into it, I'd like to keep it lol. 

See here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/178345-msi-mpower-plastidip/#entry2394630

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Is there something about the Z97 MPower that is better for naked CPUs than the Z87 version? I'm currently running with the Z87 and after the effort I've put into it, I'd like to keep it lol. 

See here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/178345-msi-mpower-plastidip/#entry2394630

The MPower Z97 comes with the Delid-Die-Guard, its like a bracket that comes over the die to protect the chip.

But I guess there will be aftermarket solutions available.

10155888_721831974505302_278164602338709

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

q

q

I don't think it comes with it, I saw somewhere it may be an accessory order-able from them. 

My z97 M power shows up tomorrow, will see if it has it.

@DaftBehemoth I recommend using that EK naked ivy/haswell kit. It'll work fine

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

EK-Supremacy PreciseMount Add-on Naked Ivy is an add-on that allows the use of de-lidded 3rd- (Ivy Bridge) and 4th (Haswell) generation Intel® Core i3/i5/i7 processors with EK-Supremacy series CPU water blocks.

Just a heads up you can't use the EK kit with that block.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

WOAH HO HO hold on there kemosabe, you can not use the XSPC raystorm on a naked die as the mounting screws are not exact mounting pressure and can crush the die. EK has an exact mount for the EK supremacy block for Ivy Bridge and Haswell CPUs, look into that and for best results you want to use a TIM that is specified to be manually spreadable like liquid pro/ultra. 

The IHS is there for a reason. To spread heat, not center it into a small area.

and when he replaced it with the waterblock it will be the IHS. Laptop CPUs and GPUs are naked die..

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Holy crap, is something wrong there or do you have really high room temp? my 4790k is at 4.8ghz 1.36v at 85 during stress tests!

Also don't use prime 95 on haswell chips, use aida64 stress test... prime 95 pulls to much voltage

Holy crap, is something wrong there or do you have really high room temp? my 4790k is at 4.8ghz 1.36v at 85 during stress tests!

Also don't use prime 95 on haswell chips, use aida64 stress test... prime 95 pulls to much voltage

It was the Prime95 issue. I'm sitting under 80C at 4.7 @ 1.3v with Aida64 (I haven't gotten the OC dialed in yet, that's just what it's sitting at for now :P). I managed to forget about the reports of Prime95 issues since I've been on Sandy for so long lol

The MPower Z97 comes with the Delid-Die-Guard, its like a bracket that comes over the die to protect the chip.

But I guess there will be aftermarket solutions available.

From what I can tell, it's actually the XPower that comes with the die guard, but that's exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully they'll start offering it as a stand alone product for a few bucks. For now I think I'll go with the Die > Coollabs Liquid Ultra > IHS > NT-H1 > Waterblock idea.

Just a heads up you can't use the EK kit with that block.

Don't worry, that's what I assumed ;)

Thanks for all the input guys! You're all very helpful as usual.

I did a delid when Ivy Bridge came out. Might find it useful however I don't feel there's a lot of benefit. Not sure if it's cool to link to other sites

CPU - 4790k / GPU - EVGA GTX 980 / Case - NCASE M1 v3 / Board - ASUS Impact VII  / PSU SFX 600w Silverstone / Storage - 2x500GB EVOs / Windows 8.1,OS X 10.10 / Full Water Loop

Best method for deliding would be the vise method, you can pick up a cheap vise at places like home depot for $25 such as this 

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/irwin-quick-grip-clamp-on-vise-3-in/904198

watch youtube videos if you need help... its also good to put electrical or duct tape on the sides for better grip and so it doesnt dent or scratch the sides of the ihs and please be smart if you do it, put a towel or something behind it because i had my 3570k go flying, good thing i did have a towel set up ready to catch it. the 4770k however didnt the glue kept it on and i just pulled the rest of it off.

I've delided 2 cpus, a 3570k and a 4770k, i currently run a 3570k direct die at 4.7ghz at a max of 60C at load on a day with an ambient of 23C, I didnt know if the EK naked die kit was compatible with the xspc raystorm cpu block so i put my computer on its side, removed the retention clamp and popped the cpu in, I applied a thin coat of mx-4 that covered the surface of the die with a cotton swab to ensure even coating in all areas, put the block on and tightened it with a moderate amount of pressure to be sure that it was seated but not to much to crack the die, Btw you need quite a bit of pressure to crack the die so don't be too worried. The computer didn't boot the first time so I tightened it with about 1 extra turn further and then the second time it booted up just fine, I also applied about another quarter turn later to ensure proper contact just for safety reasons. 

There is nothing scary about direct-die other than the fact removing the IHS can be a pain. Back in the day the best chips were direct die cooled, and you rarely had people cracking them. I kind of miss those days, 2500M was a beast.

There is nothing scary about direct-die other than the fact removing the IHS can be a pain. Back in the day the best chips were direct die cooled, and you rarely had people cracking them. I kind of miss those days, 2500M was a beast.

i can actually get my 3570k beyond 5ghz and still have good temps, i just don't run it at that at 24/7 because my voltage hits around 1.39v to be stable anything after 4.7ghz needs a ridiculous amount of voltage put into it... 4.9ghz needs about 1.33v