UEFI Freeze, what can cause this?

So, after a long time and a good number of issues I finally have my, now dated but, barely used gaming PC together and functional, I think I just solved the last problem now, but I'd just like to have a bit of a troubleshooting session to be safe.

Specs:

Mobo: ASUS Crosshair V Formula("BIOS" 1703)

CPU: AMD FX8150(no OC)

GPU: XFX 7970 3GB "Black Edition"(1GhZ stock OC)

RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (Non-ECC, not OC)

HDD-OS: WD Velociraptor 600GB

HDD-storage1: WDC Black 1TB

HDD-storage2: WDC Black 2TB

Now it wasn't until recently I got this thing up and running properly, quite a few problems to get the damn thing to run, BIOS woes, cpu cooler woes etc etc, but now I'm good. So today I think I figured out the last problem which was that the UEFI defaulted to ECC on the RAM, and since the RAM is non-ECC that caused the system to BSOD on launch when I put it at 1600, now it's on 1600 everything is fine. But when I was looking through the UEFI to see if I could find an XMP option or something for the RAM the UEFI would freeze after about 45-60 seconds, which was rather annoying. This wouldn't happen every time, I've been in and out of the UEFI quite a bit today, and so far after turning ECC off it hasn't happened again. I hope that turning ECC mode off has solved it, but I'd like some input on what else might cause the UEFI to freeze.

Also does this MoBo even have an XMP setting? I can't seem to find it if it does exist.

Thanks.

I'm one of the few people I know that tend to repair electronics with a smith's hammer on a regular basis.

@Coltaine

AMD boards do not use the XMP (Intel Extreme Memory Profile) but use a similar

called AMP (AMD Memory Profile). ASUS uses DOCP which tries to convert XMP

to a scaled entry for DRAM timing conversions. not 100% but can get you in the

door. it'd be an easier method to change the speed, timings and command rate as

specified by the module manufacturer.

you get there like this:

advanced mode>extreme tweaker>ai overclock tuner>DOCP or scroll down to

manually config the DRAM Timing control

@Coltaine

AMD boards do not use the XMP (Intel Extreme Memory Profile) but use a similar

called AMP (AMD Memory Profile). ASUS uses DOCP which tries to convert XMP

to a scaled entry for DRAM timing conversions. not 100% but can get you in the

door. it'd be an easier method to change the speed, timings and command rate as

specified by the module manufacturer.

you get there like this:

advanced mode>extreme tweaker>ai overclock tuner>DOCP or scroll down to

manually config the DRAM Timing control

Ah, that's what I get for not paying attention to PC stuff for a few years :P

I set the DRAM to 1600, and went in under the North Bridge settings to disable ECC, things seem to have stabilized, so for now I'm crossing my fingers. Thanks for the answer though, I'll look more into it tomorrow after work.

I'm one of the few people I know that tend to repair electronics with a smith's hammer on a regular basis.

If you had ECC on, this would definitely cause lockups as the memory controller is looking a parity chip and cannot find it. Do not enable this setting unless you are using ECC unbuffered DIMM modules.

Phanteks Enthoo Pro Black | Corsair TX750v2 | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | Core i5 4670K @ 4.4 GHz @ 1.27V | Corsair H105 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 PC3-12800 | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 | Axiom Signature III 240GB SSD | WDC 1TB Blue | Hitachi 750GB

I use a 'moron filter' on tech forums. If I don't respond to your post, considered yourself filtered out.

As a few have mentioned, having ECC enabled on non-ECC RAM can cause issues.

Another possible cause for the freezing in the UEFI BIOS is incompatible Keyboard and/or mouse.

I too will get a similar freezing issues when tinkering with the EUFI BIOS on my own Crosshair V Formula. I've looked into this issue in the past, and I ran into a thread on the ASUS ROG forum, saying incompatible keyboard/mouse can cause this. I'm using a Logitech G110 and G9x for my system.

...I guess this is why Corsair has the "BIOS" switch on their newer K70 and K95 (and upcoming RGB) keyboards.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

If you had ECC on, this would definitely cause lockups as the memory controller is looking a parity chip and cannot find it. Do not enable this setting unless you are using ECC unbuffered DIMM modules.

Yeah, I totally forgot to turn it off as I think it defaults to ECC On, I'm at least sure I didn't turn it on myself.

As a few have mentioned, having ECC enabled on non-ECC RAM can cause issues.

Another possible cause for the freezing in the UEFI BIOS is incompatible Keyboard and/or mouse.

I too will get a similar freezing issues when tinkering with the EUFI BIOS on my own Crosshair V Formula. I've looked into this issue in the past, and I ran into a thread on the ASUS ROG forum, saying incompatible keyboard/mouse can cause this. I'm using a Logitech G110 and G9x for my system.

...I guess this is why Corsair has the "BIOS" switch on their newer K70 and K95 (and upcoming RGB) keyboards.

Hm, I have a CM QuickFire TK Green and a Logitech G502. But at least for now it seems to be pretty stable, so hopefully it was just the ECC thing I'd forgotten to switch off. I'll tinker with the RAM settings a bit more and see where I end up and how it goes etc, I'm not that comfortable with UEFIs yet, and I can't say that I think they're an actual upgrade to the traditional BIOS.

Thanks for the replies.