Best budget bookshelf speaker set-up + amp?

What is the best entry level book shelf speaker set up I could buy on a a low budget? including an amp?

Are older amps fine?

I really need a new set up, so any suggestions would be awesome :)

#!

Need more to go on. You can't just make a blanket statement "entry level". Some people consider entry level to be $100ish, while others don't consider anything less than $6000 to be entry level.

Low Budget? (ballpark it please)

What will you be using it for the most? (Music? Movies? Games?)

As for amp, do you mean receiver or are you wanting a dedicated 2 channel? Yes, older amps/receivers are fine as long as they are in good condition.

Also how loud will you be playing? This determines how much power you need.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

Well, I'm a student so entry level will be a budget of $100-$350

I won't be playing it loud, but I need something with crisp highs and mids for the new daft punk album.

I've got an older technics receiver that my father used to use back in the day, and it looks like it's in good nick.

#!

$100 is a little low, but $350 will get you a decent pair of bookshelf speakers especially if you are willing to buy used. Nothing wrong with older speakers either, heck, sometimes people just don't like their speakers and sell almost new ones at a loss. Whatever you end up buying, try to demo before hand so you can hear for yourself. Speakers are subjective as everyone hears differently so it comes down to personal preference. Some brands I recommend are B&W (Bowers and Wilkins), Dynaudio, Monitor Audio, Paradigm. There are many other options as well, unfortunately I don't know what kind of stock/brands/pricing is in New Zealand so I can't recommend anything specific.

Your dads receiver should work just fine (depending on age) but make sure it has the all the connections you need. Also, don't run a lower impedance speaker than what the receiver is rated for. ie: 4ohm speakers with 8ohm amp is not a good idea, but reverse is ok (8ohm speaker on 4ohm amp).

What are you using for audio currently?

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

$100 is a little low, but $350 will get you a decent pair of bookshelf speakers especially if you are willing to buy used. Nothing wrong with older speakers either, heck, sometimes people just don't like their speakers and sell almost new ones at a loss. Whatever you end up buying, try to demo before hand so you can hear for yourself. Speakers are subjective as everyone hears differently so it comes down to personal preference. Some brands I recommend are B&W (Bowers and Wilkins), Dynaudio, Monitor Audio, Paradigm. There are many other options as well, unfortunately I don't know what kind of stock/brands/pricing is in New Zealand so I can't recommend anything specific.

Your dads receiver should work just fine (depending on age) but make sure it has the all the connections you need. Also, don't run a lower impedance speaker than what the receiver is rated for. ie: 4ohm speakers with 8ohm amp is not a good idea, but reverse is ok (8ohm speaker on 4ohm amp).

What are you using for audio currently?

Currently I'm using my razer headset for normal things, I have a 5.1 logitech system which has served me well, but is almost too bland for my liking. 

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll look into them now, any brands to stay away from?

#!

The only thing I would say to stay away from is HTiB (home theater in a box) systems such as Bose, Sony, etc.

http://www.jbhifi.co.nz/jb-hi-fi-home-audio/speakers/bookshelf-speakers/

Go to your local JB Hi Fi and have a listen to the speakers on display and find the speaker that is right for you (noise wise, quality, colour and dimensions). Then have the site bookmarked and check up on it every Saturday morning because as far as Australia goes they have a speaker sale at least once a year and it will save you a bucket load about 20-40% and for us it is usually around the mid year mark. If you can't wait then have a look through ebay now and then at bookshelf speakers in your area you might strike up a good deal.