GTX 780 with i5-2400

SonicFart
Go to solution Solved by fringie,

It'll be fine, I think you're like -5 FPS compared to the i5 4690 (non k) so in like two generations you'll probably want to upgrade CPU as then I'd think it'd be 10-15 (I'm expecting big things from skylake :P).

Hello guys, will my i5-2400 cpu hold down the performance of GTX 780 which I'm considering to buy? Should I upgrade my processor first or the card will run as it should? Thank you for any help!

Go for it. It won't be a big problem unless we're talking Anno 2070 on a huge civilization, but that game is solely CPU bound anyways.

In GPU bound games you won't notice a big difference and the benefits you get from a top of the end GPU solution are much higher than the benefits of a CPU upgrade in most gaming scenarios.

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

It'll be fine, I think you're like -5 FPS compared to the i5 4690 (non k) so in like two generations you'll probably want to upgrade CPU as then I'd think it'd be 10-15 (I'm expecting big things from skylake :P).