Time for a new ITX case

vanwazltoff

I have a Cubitek Mini Cube, its a good case and fits the hardware I need it to...but it makes everything run really hot. I feel sorry for my components, they are getting fried. I decided to start playing Farcry 3 again and the CPU went past my artificial max temp that I set in the BIOS. It has one air intake and one exhaust, both are populated with Corsair SP120 Performance edition fans running at 7V.

Its time for a new case. What are my ITX options, not sure what is in the pipelines after Computex? I had the Node 304 and I honestly did not like it all that much, it felt...cheap. I built a gaming rig in a Prodigy early this year, its a good case but it's way too common. I like the look and features of the Corsair 250D but I really wish it was a vertical layout (basically a mini 350D.)

I have an Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD (has the daughter board for power delivery), I have a 120mm AIO water cooler (going to swap that for 240 or a good air cooler when I get a new case), I have an Asus GTX 670 DCU2, I have a really short PSU so that's a clearance I don't have to worry about, 2x 2TB HDDs, 2x SSDs. I keep my rig under my desk and I put it on top of a hard mouse pad so it won't get suffocated by carpet

Also I have strange attraction to brushed aluminum. So far the best option feels like the 250D.

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Well you pretty much refuted any good mITX case recommendations you were gonna get with your original post. The 250D looks great and has good airflow. Don't know how set you are on having a mITX case but you could get a mATX case and put a mITX motherboard in it. In which case, 350D, Fractal Design Midi or Mini R2.

Might be worth checking out Cooler Master mITX cases too.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

I have a Cubitek Mini Cube, its a good case and fits the hardware I need it to...but it makes everything run really hot. I feel sorry for my components, they are getting fried. I decided to start playing Farcry 3 again and the CPU went past my artificial max temp that I set in the BIOS. It has one air intake and one exhaust, both are populated with Corsair SP120 Performance edition fans running at 7V.

Its time for a new case. What are my ITX options, not sure what is in the pipelines after Computex? I had the Node 304 and I honestly did not like it all that much, it felt...cheap. I built a gaming rig in a Prodigy early this year, its a good case but it's way too common. I like the look and features of the Corsair 250D but I really wish it was a vertical layout (basically a mini 350D.)

I have an Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD (has the daughter board for power delivery), I have a 120mm AIO water cooler (going to swap that for 240 or a good air cooler when I get a new case), I have an Asus GTX 670 DCU2, I have a really short PSU so that's a clearance I don't have to worry about, 2x 2TB HDDs, 2x SSDs. I keep my rig under my desk and I put it on top of a hard mouse pad so it won't get suffocated by carpet

Also I have strange attraction to brushed aluminum. So far the best option feels like the 250D.

Phew! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I had thought about getting the Cubitek Mini Cube instead of the NZXT H440 for my planned build this year because I loved the aluminium look too and the thought of that sitting on my desk and having a little beast of a computer seemed quite nice. But now I know of your experience with it I now know that I should most definitely stick with the awesomeness that is the NZXT H440. Once again, thanks!

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Coolermaster elite 120?

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

you could prolly fix your mini cube. get it off of that mouse pad lol, cut a shelf in half and use that as your base

or just try moving the case off of the floor all together. give it at least 2 inches of space on all sides

also.. upgrade your fans. sp120s are not as good as everyone says...

Phew! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I had thought about getting the Cubitek Mini Cube instead of the NZXT H440 for my planned build this year because I loved the aluminium look too and the thought of that sitting on my desk and having a little beast of a computer seemed quite nice. But now I know of your experience with it I now know that I should most definitely stick with the awesomeness that is the NZXT H440. Once again, thanks!

Its a good case, but everything runs really hot in it. Its good for a general PC, but not gaming. Also it doesn't come with fans, you have to buy your own.

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

you could prolly fix your mini cube. get it off of that mouse pad lol, cut a shelf in half and use that as your base

or just try moving the case off of the floor all together. give it at least 2 inches of space on all sides

also.. upgrade your fans. sp120s are not as good as everyone says...

I put it on a mouse pad so it would be on a hard surface and not cut out air flow...

They are only a small notch worse than Noctuas, way better than my Cooler Master Sickle Flows

250D is just as common as a Prodigy, problem is there's not many different mitx cases to choose from.

Well at least ITX isn't almost completely ignored like it was before the prodigy came out.

Graphite-380T-Wht-Low.jpg

>.>

Good case, but its just too round and has too much plastic for my taste, same with the Prodigy. I'm picky

I was going to suggest the Parvum, then I saw your too plasticky comment :D

http://www.parvumsystems.com/category/cases

Never even heard of them, but they look pretty damn good. If I had the dough I'd get a Caselabs Mercury S3, but business has been pretty terrible lately.

Have you checked out any of silverstones or Lian Lis cases they probably have something for you like the rvz01 or the q28

Its a good case, but everything runs really hot in it. Its good for a general PC, but not gaming. Also it doesn't come with fans, you have to buy your own.

Yeah and so NZXT H440 FTW! :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I have a Corsair 250D and I really like it. I can't really comment too much on its airflow and stuff seeing as I'm running a locked i5 4570 with stock heatsink and a GTX 760 that would put out less heat than your 670, however I've seen builds with a 4770K and a top-of-the-line GPU (780Ti, Titan, 290X etc.) so it must be alright :P. The case is larger than most Mini ITX cases, if it were redesigned it could probably just fit a Micro ATX board, but that's not the point - it's been designed so that it is 'small enough' whilst being able to cool top-of-the line hardware adequately. Heck, there's even enough room for a full water-cooling loop (link). The GPU has its own filtered intake and there's room for a 240 rad for the CPU and then you can still have your 140mm intake and exhaust from the rad for cooling all of the other passively cooled stuff (I've heard its recommended to set the rad up in exhaust for better airflow - you'll get slightly higher CPU temps but other temps will be lower).

Yeah and so NZXT H440 FTW! :D

Seen the Razer edition of the H440, looks kinda smexi.

My friend might buy my whole build so it looks like I am in new build territory  :D I'm thinking a 350D, a Maximus VII Gene, Bitfenix Fury PSU (hooray for individually sleeved cables), a GTX 780 (either MSI or Asus), Devils Canyon unlocked i5 (won't beat the 4.9GHz OC I got my i5-3570k, definitely won't beat my i5-2500k OC, but at least its better than Haswell for thermal design), the new Corsair Link fan controller that came out this year at Computex (been waiting for it to get past all bugs with a new revision), hopefully a custom loop in the future.

Well at least ITX isn't almost completely ignored like it was before the prodigy came out.

Good case, but its just too round and has too much plastic for my taste, same with the Prodigy. I'm picky

Function over form. 

Had a really pretty all alu case from Lian Li, the PC-V354. That case annoyed me to no end..it was pure form over function with zero though put into the internal layout. All the brushed aluminum in the world doesn't make up for a bad interior. That said, you could also wait for the Phanteks Evolv which is an itx/matx case.

if you are willing to buy today :o (its the last day they accept pre-orders) this might be intresting:

Th Ncase M1, fits a full size gpu and a 240mm rad.

M1-v2-18-3000x1500.jpg

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."

Also needs a new profile picture..