How private is Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility VPN service?

Jacona

Hello,

First of all I'm new to the forum and finally decided to join after spending over a year subscribed to LTT on YouTube.

So I was wondering about this VPN service that my University offers to student for free that is by Cisco.

My question is how private is this VPN service?

Does this VPN keep logs of what you do online?

Have other people used this before?

How much would it slow my connection down?

Please and Thank you.

Welcome to the forum  :)

If you're concerned about privacy, I wouldn't use a VPN provided by Cisco, they have been involved a fair bit with the NSA. You can get a paid one for fairly cheap, I use Private Internet Access and I like it, no major speed decrease (maybe 50mb/s on a connection normally ~57mb/s), and encryption can go from nothing all the way up to AES-256, SHA256, and RSA-4096. It's about $40 USD a year, and you can pay with quite a few options, including Bitcoin if you want to stay even more anonymous.

Spoiler

Welcome to the forum  :)

If you're concerned about privacy, I wouldn't use a VPN provided by Cisco, they have been involved a fair bit with the NSA. You can get a paid one for fairly cheap, I use Private Internet Access and I like it, no major speed decrease (maybe 50mb/s on a connection normally ~57mb/s), and encryption can go from nothing all the way up to AES-256, SHA256, and RSA-4096. It's about $40 USD a year, and you can pay with quite a few options, including Bitcoin if you want to stay even more anonymous.

Ah ok, that's all I needed to hear.

For some reason Google just couldn't find me a straight answer about it. 

Thanks!