Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[update will be used in transformers 4]Here's the 4K IMAX Camera That's Going to Make 3D Movies Awesome Again

"If you thought 3D movies were only a fad that has already come and gone for good, think again. IMAX cameras have been used to shoot 3D films and documentaries for decades now, including immersive content for theme park rides. And the company has just revealed a new fully integrated dual 65mm 4K digital 3D camera that promises to make seeing 3D movies at your local theater worthwhile again.

IMAX is only just going public with the new camera today, but the hardware has actually been in use for a while now. In addition to internal testing within the company, Michael Bay used the camera for filming various action sequences in the upcoming Transformers film, Age of Extinction. So it's definitely one of those rare times when paying extra to see the IMAX version of a film will undoubtedly be worth it."

post-1006-0-45034300-1402681165.jpg

post-1006-0-40191100-1402681193.jpg

post-1006-0-10787800-1402681226_thumb.jp

Holy balls thats a big camera it has active cooling and not like a little fan thats a pretty big fan ive never seen anything like that tho i am a camera noob. I think i might have to go to a imax theatre just to check this out.

Transformers 4 first to use 65mm IMAX 4K 3D camera

The production team on Transformers 4, which was directed by Michael Bay (right, in picture with camera), was able to capture major action sequences of the film – including chase scenes and helicopter shots – in high-resolution 3D in a way that was previously impossible thanks to the compact size of the new cameras.

Explained Mike Hendriks, director of the IMAX camera department: “What’s unique about our 3D Digital Camera is that we use a fully integrated camera system, where the lenses are interchangeable. We’re not using a beam splitter rig, which makes our camera very compact. Our lenses literally come off as a stereo pair.”

3D has always been awesome.. its just that very few ever used it well :( they love throwing shit in your face, but where 3D really is awesome is when showing off a big open landscapes

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

That is one bad ass Cam

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

damn, it even has a dedicated fan sweeeet

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Never seen a camera with a fan before..

Looks like a highly valuble piece of a equipment.

A normal IMAX camera costs around $500 000.

This is 4k IMAX....

Valuable?

Very fucking valuable

Wait,read this article here: 

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/imax3.htm

Seems like I was more than fucking wrong.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Dude,I was wrong.It's more than that.

Also,you need 2 million dollars in liability insurance for anyone to even rent it to you!The actual insurance is half a million. 

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I don't know much about those cameras, but from watching some making-of's of movies, I heard that they produce tons of heat and make tons of noise.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

Dude,I was wrong.It's more than that.

TdMfa8R.gif

Ummm

1) I thought most imax films were already shot at or beyond 4k, in fact most movies run at much higher resolutions because of the screen size

2) 3D has NEVER been awesome, this won't change shit.

-------

Current Rig

-------

IMAX film has a digital resolution of...16k? 18k? Not sure, but its a high number. 

IMAX just realizes that 4K is more mainstream now and 8K is coming down the pipeline. 16K Digital sensors won't be far behind and at that point they have very little reason to keep up with the film. 

This is also a all in one solution. Arrias and REDs right now need to be put into monster rigs for 3D use, this is a self contained solution smaller than a single IMAX camera that can go into tighter areas and be used in more kinds of shots. 

3D has never been awesome. It cannot be awesome. The concept is pointless in and of itself. "Ohh, let's make it so people think this 2D image has a sort of kind of but not really dept to it."

Not only It doesn't add anything to the experience it removes from it. When done badly it damages the visual quality and even the script because they have to add pointless 3D pandering sections.

Even when it is perfectly done it is difficult to notice unless you pay attention to see the effect turning your attention form the movie.

The only reason 3D has come to be is to sell tickets, to keep the cinemas from shutting down.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Ummm

1) I thought most imax films were already shot at or beyond 4k, in fact most movies run at much higher resolutions because of the screen size

Ummm

1) no 4k is pretty much as good as it gets today in cinemas. Even though the screen is huge, your still 50 feet away from it so its the same as a 100inch tv 10 feet away. 

2) That's because all directors today use 3d to throw shit in your face instead of making everything in the background look like its in the background.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

any guess on what the camera cost? I'm guessing a little over a million dollar per!

i feel like 3D was horrible, it didnt really make me go wow or like dodge something coming out the TV. i hope this makes 3D better

1) no 4k is pretty much as good as it gets today in cinemas. Even though the screen is huge, your still 50 feet away from it so its the same as a 100inch tv 10 feet away. 

2) That's because all directors today use 3d to throw shit in your face instead of making everything in the background look like its in the background.

1) I'm talking resolution not DPI: I know that by the time it hits the screen it looks like shit cause it's so blown up but the source I believe it has been higher than 4k resolution for a while now.

2) You bring up a good point. It would be like me talking to a bunch of German writers and philosophers and telling them "Ok now you must write your next great works in Cantonese, you might not take lessons, you might not have practice books, your next book must be in Cantonese and it must be a best seller, go!" 3D experiences that would be worthwhile would require to basically relearn all the techniques they've developed over the spawn of a century to make films compelling, and worst of all they have to do it while having a stupid Hollywood executive jackass giving notes about how he needs more action beats and pop culture references and explosions.

Hopefully we'll eventually see a dramatic price drop in 3D cameras and such so people can truly experiment with them as a legitimate medium, however I don't expect a sudden influx of interest at the current entry level barriers for 3D film making.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1) I'm talking resolution not DPI: I know that by the time it hits the screen it looks like shit cause it's so blown up but the source I believe it has been higher than 4k resolution for a while now.

2) You bring up a good point. It would be like me talking to a bunch of German writers and philosophers and telling them "Ok now you must write your next great works in Cantonese, you might not take lessons, you might not have practice books, your next book must be in Cantonese and it must be a best seller, go!" 3D experiences that would be worthwhile would require to basically relearn all the techniques they've developed over the spawn of a century to make films compelling, and worst of all they have to do it while having a stupid Hollywood executive jackass giving notes about how he needs more action beats and pop culture references and explosions.

Hopefully we'll eventually see a dramatic price drop in 3D cameras and such so people can truly experiment with them as a legitimate medium, however I don't expect a sudden influx of interest at the current entry level barriers for 3D film making.

exactly. But I was in a theatre just yesterday, and only a few of their screens were 4k. Infact they were so proud of it, they were advertising it everywhere

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

• 2 weeks later...

Cant believe its already being used.

What FPS does it shoot at though?

With the Avatar sequels running at 60fps and a new IMAX scifi 3D epic running at 120fps, traditional 24fps 3D is just blurry and totally lacks definition.  24 or 30 fps may work well enough for 2D movies (and games obviously ololol, right Ubi?) but for 3D it is too slow.