I need a new router.

ColorfulShardMC

I just bought an nVidia Shield and my current router isn't cutting it. I want a 802.11ac dulaband router for about at most 200$. i don't know much about networking and stuff like that i decided to let you guys make the choice.

My Computer (Yet to be named)

Processor: Intel i7 5930k @ 4.4 Cooler: Corsair H100i Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-SLI RAM: 16GB EVGA 2666Mhz 4x4 Graphics Card: PNY Geforce GTX 980 ti  Storage: 1x Intel 730 240GB / 2x Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB PSU: Corsair RM650 Case: NZXT S340 Monitor: Asus VG248QE Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013

You know that depending on the other devices that you connect to the WLAN, your speeds will drop? If you got a device that connects with the g standard, all your devices will be limited to that. If you got a router that provides 2 channels and you got a 'g' and 'n' device you can use both but not ac.

Think about mobile phones, computers and other devices

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

You know that depending on the other devices that you connect to the WLAN, your speeds will drop? If you got a device that connects with the g standard, all your devices will be limited to that. If you got a router that provides 2 channels and you got a 'g' and 'n' device you can use both but not ac.

Think about mobile phones, computers and other devices

You are saying that if he got a g router then all his devices would be limited to that, correct?  If that's not what you meant then your post makes no sense.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

You are saying that if he got a g router then all his devices would be limited to that, correct?  If that's not what you meant then your post makes no sense.

No I am saying that routers can't send at all WLAN standards at the same time. Once you connect a device to the WLAN, your other devices will be limited to the speeds of the standard which that device supports. There are routers that can send data simultaneously on different channels by using more than one antenna or virtually (limited), so you can connect devices that support different speeds and get good performance out of them. What remains is that you need to keep in check which devices you connect to the WLAN and what standards they use.

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

I just want your suggestions... I don't care about anything else

My Computer (Yet to be named)

Processor: Intel i7 5930k @ 4.4 Cooler: Corsair H100i Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-SLI RAM: 16GB EVGA 2666Mhz 4x4 Graphics Card: PNY Geforce GTX 980 ti  Storage: 1x Intel 730 240GB / 2x Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB PSU: Corsair RM650 Case: NZXT S340 Monitor: Asus VG248QE Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013

I just want your suggestions... I don't care about anything else

i'm sort of biased. I have an apple extreme gen 5 802.11n and it has been solid. I've chosen not to worry about crappy firmware other companies are using, forcing their users to download open source firmware to make their routers functional. My opinion is that the company I'm buying from should provide a solid experience out of the box...I don't want to tinker with DDWRT to make the product work half decently.

So with that said, get the 802.11ac Apple Extreme router; http://www.apple.com/airport-extreme/

And before you ask, I don't have a single Mac in my house. I have all WIndows laptops/desktops. THey all work great with the router.