Whays the diffrence between Nvidia Geforce amd AMD Radeon?

Daniel91

I own 3  MSI R9 27s in 2 of my rigs and my dad owns 2 MSI 760 HAWKS. Today when i and my friends went to a shopping mall a "chua chu kang" (somewhere in singapore) we we went to get Alex is maximus gene vi some new Ram to get it to 32GB

after we sat down we went to luch the other guys for some reason said to Alex he made a mistake putting a R9 290X in his rig and should have gone with  a Geforce GTX 780Ti. they started to argue and almost got into some shouting

Heres my questions I know Nvidia and AMD arebrands and have diffrence in their software but i only know of a few and i'm not sure what they actually do. Andi was hoping for you guys lett me what they have and what the software actually do?

Nvidia

Geforce Experince (a  auto updater for drivers i guess)

Shadowplay (for recording gameplay to playback)

not sure of the rest

AMD

Mentale (a replacement for Direct X i think)

Zero Core (turns iff the GPU during monitor on sleep mode)

Eyefinity (multi monitor useage)

not sure about the others

so guys can you help explain it or is there a video i can watch to learn more?

as of right now, Nvidias top end cards are better but also costs more, so its a budget thing really.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Different manufacturing process, the layout of the cards are different. The design on the silicon to make them more efficient are different. 

Both do the same bloody thing.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

they started to argue and almost got into some shouting

How does fanboyism escalate to that level????

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

How does fanboyism escalate to that level????

lol i dunno but Alex has always been a AMD guy he was the one that introed me to my MSI 270s

One is red and the other is green

Damn it! You beat me to the punch, sly devil, you.

*insert popcorn eating gif here*

:lol:

tumblr_loiicjgadn1qa1lni.gif

In all seriousness, can't you just use the search bar? We get this topic almost on a daily basis. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if we get this on holidays.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Not sure about Zero Core, but Nvidia will also support Eyefinity, and Mantle's features that set it apart will be implemented come DirectX 12, so not much advantage there in my opinion.  Geforce Experience is only slightly more than a driver updater, it's supposed to set games' graphics settings to the optimal values for your card, but it supports very few games and isn't really useful for me.  Shadowplay is a slightly more advanced screen recorder, it constantly records your game and if you do something super cool you can save the last 10 minutes by pressing a button, with barely any fps drop.

Those are just clarifying the features you mentioned.  Personally I prefer Nvidia, they tend to be a bit more expensive but have better performance, but in a budget build sense AMD is right at home.

People need to stop saying "AMD is a good gpu for a budget build" what a load of crap. You can build a monster with an AMD gpu.

Sure, you can, or you can pay a little bit more and get an even more monster build.  This whole argument is pointless anyway, people will go for whatever company they believe is "superior", even if you're not biased.

True...if you're only playing at 1080p like most are.

Yeah, I find it interesting how far AMD surpasses Nvidia in 1440p, but then it swaps at 1080p.

as of right now, Nvidias top end cards are better but also costs more, so its a budget thing really.

Depends on the resolution, for higher than 1080p, AMD takes the win. At 1080p the 780 Ti performs better.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

AMD and Nvidia are just two graphics chip companies. Both make high quality GPUs. Neither is better than the other, both have a few features that the other doesn't but nothing too important. They trade blows depending on the game. What you have to do when you are buying a GPU is decide on your budget and then see which model is best for your budget; that may be Nvidia or AMD. With regard to what Alex said I believe a 780ti is indeed a bit faster than a 290x; especially when both are overclocked to the max. But it's not the kind of gap that would make somebody regret a purchase either way.

after we sat down we went to luch the other guys for some reason said to Alex he made a mistake putting a R9 290X in his rig and should have gone with  a Geforce GTX 780Ti. they started to argue and almost got into some shouting

LOL. AMD and Nvidia fanboys now fighting in public; at least in Singapore.

Not sure about Zero Core, but Nvidia will also support Eyefinity, and Mantle's features that set it apart will be implemented come DirectX 12, so not much advantage there in my opinion.  Geforce Experience is only slightly more than a driver updater, it's supposed to set games' graphics settings to the optimal values for your card, but it supports very few games and isn't really useful for me.  Shadowplay is a slightly more advanced screen recorder, it constantly records your game and if you do something super cool you can save the last 10 minutes by pressing a button, with barely any fps drop.

Those are just clarifying the features you mentioned.  Personally I prefer Nvidia, they tend to be a bit more expensive but have better performance, but in a budget build sense AMD is right at home.

You forgot Nvidia Physx and Nvidia 3D. Also, Nvidia's name for Eyefinity is called Nvidia Surround. The AMD fans like to falsely claim that Physx, Shadowplay and 3D don't matter, but to the people who want those features, they absolutely matter. More games support things like Physx than Mantle, and that will never change, since as you pointed out DX 12 will implement that performance gains that Mantle offers. Supporting something like Physx does not require a developer to completely code a game twice like using Mantle does. That's why Mantle adoption rate has been so low.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

You forgot Nvidia Physx and Nvidia 3D. Also, Nvidia's name for Eyefinity is called Nvidia Surround. The AMD fans like to falsely claim that Physx, Shadowplay and 3D don't matter, but to the people who want those features, they absolutely matter. More games support things like Physx than Mantle, and that will never change, since as you pointed out DX 12 will implement that performance gains that Mantle offers. Supporting something like Physx does not require a developer to completely code a game twice like using Mantle does. That's why Mantle adoption rate has been so low.

PhysX, 3D Vision and Surround factually do not matter.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Physx matters to me,alot! im a particle guy (love that eye candy) and lets say in warframe it adds an amazing experience

Physx matters to me,alot! im a particle guy (love that eye candy) and lets say in warframe it adds an amazing experience

Never said it does not have it's merits, but the grand scheme of things.. it is WEAK SAUCE, including shadowPlay.

I wonder how i used to record footage on older Geforce 400 series GPU's without the so called Shadow play LOL!

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

Never said it does not have it's merits, but the grand scheme of things.. it is WEAK SAUCE, including shadowPlay.

I wonder how i used to record footage on older Geforce 400 series GPU's without the so called Shadow play LOL!

The matter a lot, but you are proving my point for me and are spewing the same nonsense that all Nvidia haters regurgitate any time they are faced with the fact that AMD can't compete in terms of features.

Physx effects look amazing, there is no debating that. Nvidia haters will try and say otherwise, but it's pure jealousy talking. If Physx effects didn't look good, and if people didn't care about them like Nvidia haters claim, developers wouldn't spend the time and resources to implement them in their games. Developers all have a vision of how they want their game to look, Physx helps them realize that vision, and their is no equivalent offered by AMD. The other argument that Nvidia haters try to make is that it's some how anti-consumer for Nvidia to not share that technology with AMD. That's just jealousy talking again and there is no reason any company should have be expected to openly share their proprietary technology. 

3D may be niche, but it's still a technology that many people want. No one is forced to use 3D Vision, but for the people who want it, Nvidia at least offers that option to them, AMD offers nothing. It's completely asinine to claim something is pointless just because it's not something you want. It's 100% a good thing for Nvidia to offer support for a feature that people obviously want, even if it's not a majority of gamers. Having options is never a bad thing.

No one has ever said that you can't record game footage without Shadowplay, but for Nvidia to offer customers an option that is fully optimized for their hardware, and offer that option free of charge, is yet another positive move by Nvidia. Other options either don't work as well, are not free, or are difficult to set up and/or plagued by problems. One of the more popular free capture programs is OBS, but OBS requires you to play in Windowed mode and is a major pain in the ass to set up, issues that Shadowplay does not suffer from. Also, the DVR like feature of Shadowplay is 100% unique to Shadowplay. You don't have to be actively making a recording, but if something cool happens in game, you can press a button and save the last several minutes of gameplay.

Mantle on the other hand is useless. It's performance gains are focused on hardware combinations that no one should be using. Mobile focused APU's paired with top end GPU, and any of the significant performance gains also came lower end resolutions. Unlike things like Physx, Mantle requires a developer to perform double the work. Coding their game twice because they can't forego releasing their game on DirectX. The roll out of Mantle was also so bad that AMD has pretty much stopped promoting it. Also, as it was already pointed out, Mantle will be officially killed off by DX12. The most AMD can claim is that Mantle forced Microsoft to stop being lazy and got them to actually start improving DX again.

The one good mark AMD has on it's side is Freesync, but we will still need to see a real comparison test between Freesync and G-Sync before one can claim to be better than the other. Also, Freesync is not as simple to implement as some people think of claim. Follow this link to a post from someone at ASUS about the implementation of G-Sync and Freesync. Freesync will require hardware changes to monitors as well, meaning it's not a 100% software solution like some people try to say it is. It's implementation will actually take longer to reach the market because Nvidia was very far in their development process of G-Sync before they ever announced it.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

Stopped reading at Nvidia hater.

Go head butt a brick wall you nasty raging fanboy.

I didn't rage about a single thing. Yet you help prove my point, again, by not being able to offer a single counter point. Instead you just hurl insults and claim you didn't read the post. Truth is I proved you wrong, massively, and you have nothing to say because there is nothing to say.

I didn't rage about a single thing. Yet you help prove my point, again, by not being able to offer a single counter point. Instead you just hurl insults and claim you didn't read the post. Truth is I proved you wrong, massively, and you have nothing to say because there is nothing to say.

Ok, let's argue like tossers.

You call me a Nvidia hater, yet i own 2 780Ti's, several older gen GeForce GPU's, i also own an R9 290 in a Vishera rig (upgraded my AM3 Dragon)

So what next?

Laser Disc is a great feature, may as well be right? niche just like 3D vision, a failure to mainstream markets.

Shadowplay is once again not needed, only Nvidia folk tout it in any dispute vs their competition.

G-Sync? sure, but i wonder how many folk are going to pay the price to own one, when you can simply 120hz for a lot less.

I hope it sunk in well, as the term i used in a previous post is fully correct.

Mantle is useless? good luck finding news about DX12 if it were not for AMD with Mantle.

I am guessing you have nothing good to say about AMD do you?

Suck it up fanboy and move along.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert