Sennheiser HD 429 + soundcard.

JonHewett95

I am considering getting a pair of sennheiser HD429 headphones to replace my razer kraken's.

The trouble I'm having, and I would prefer it if you only tell me if this will work, or if it won't rather than screaming sacrilege and burning me at the stake for considering it.

So here's my idea, I am looking to pair it with a dolby 7.1 sound card, does this mean the sennheiser headphones will receive virtual 7.1 audio, or will they remain a stereo set?

Thanks, kind of an audio noob so any information is good.

PC Specs: CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.5Ghz (Cooled by Corsair H100i) GPU: 780ti (RIP) Mobo: Asus Z87-A Storage: 2x Samsung 850 pro (128GB) seagate SSHD (2TB) PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Peripherals Keyboard: CM storm cherry blues Mouse: Razer deathadder 

I am considering getting a pair of sennheiser HD429 headphones to replace my razer kraken's.

The trouble I'm having, and I would prefer it if you only tell me if this will work, or if it won't rather than screaming sacrilege and burning me at the stake for considering it.

So here's my idea, I am looking to pair it with a dolby 7.1 sound card, does this mean the sennheiser headphones will receive virtual 7.1 audio, or will they remain a stereo set?

Thanks, kind of an audio noob so any information is good.

you will get a dolby 7.1 mix for headphone buy using that card. but you could also just use razer surround with you onboard.

sound cards only offer a better AMP for driving higher end headphones and some features like Dolby 7.1 virtual surround and/or a breakout cable box that sit on your desk.

many will say sound cards are useless and will suggest using only onboard audio but that is really it dependent on if your motherboard has a good amp built into it like a Asus ROG board or Gigabytes gaming series boards. it also depend if your headphones are hard to drive and need an amp in the first place.

for HD429  headphones you will not benefit from an sound card because they are not hard to drive.

in the case that you would need something like a sound card vs. External AMP/DAC combo it comes down to preference really.  

I can't tell the difference from an high end external or a  high end soundcard when listening to same content at same volume and same headphones in stereo.  

it comes down to if you want something extra sitting on your desk or taking up space in your PC.  

The only down side to a soundcard is that they can cost more then external and on low end card carry noise from you PC to your headphones and could cause distortion on low end headphones. 

Virtual surround is achieved completely with software. You don't need a specific output from a soundcard, you just need software that supports 'virtual surround'.

Since your headphones only have two speakers, all that's happening is the sound is being manipulated to make it seem like it's directional.

I think it would work but there are better options out there for getting surround like open headphones instead of the Sennheiser 429. Open headphones have more sound stage and there should already be surround built into most games so you don't need the sound card either. Something like Superlux 668B would be great. 

you will get a dolby 7.1 mix for headphone buy using that card. but you could also just use razer surround with you onboard.

sound cards only offer a better AMP for driving higher end headphones and some features like Dolby 7.1 virtual surround and/or a breakout cable box that sit on your desk.

many will say sound cards are useless and will suggest using only onboard audio but that is really it dependent on if your motherboard has a good amp built into it like a Asus ROG board or Gigabytes gaming series boards. it also depend if your headphones are hard to drive and need an amp in the first place.

for HD429  headphones you will not benefit from an sound card because they are not hard to drive.

in the case that you would need something like a sound card vs. External AMP/DAC combo it comes down to preference really.  

I can't tell the difference from an high end external or a  high end soundcard when listening to same content at same volume and same headphones in stereo.  

it comes down to if you want something extra sitting on your desk or taking up space in your PC.  

The only down side to a soundcard is that they can cost more then external and on low end card carry noise from you PC to your headphones and could cause distortion on low end headphones. 

I have an asus Z87-A, so it's not really a premium board.

PC Specs: CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.5Ghz (Cooled by Corsair H100i) GPU: 780ti (RIP) Mobo: Asus Z87-A Storage: 2x Samsung 850 pro (128GB) seagate SSHD (2TB) PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Peripherals Keyboard: CM storm cherry blues Mouse: Razer deathadder 

I have an asus Z87-A, so it's not really a premium board.

That motherboard has Realtek ALC892 audio chip, which is comparable to pretty much any consumer grade sound card. I would put the sound card money into getting even better headphones.

FYI, 439 has a removable cable, and for that alone it's worth the price if you intend to use these as long as possible.

That motherboard has Realtek ALC892 audio chip, which is comparable to pretty much any consumer grade sound card. I would put the sound card money into getting even better headphones.

So, perhaps going up to Sennheiser 449 then?

Or 439's, because they will last longer

I have Audio-techinica Ath-M50's there build solid and sound great. if you get the M50x's they have a detachable cable aswell.. I also bought velvet ear cups as i wear them everyday. the velvet helps with wearing them for longer peroids and sweating..

The sennheisers are abit cheaper then the Audio techincas.

\\ Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 5GHz // Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77 X-UD4H  // CPU BL: EK-Supremacy EVO Acetal // Pump+Top: EK-D5 Vario + X-TOP  // Res: Bitspower Z-Multi 250mm  // Rads: Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 80mm 480mm + Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 480mm  // GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X 3GB GDDR5 OC 1100MHz//1550MHz // GPU BL: Alphacool NexXxos GPXR9280M07 // PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850AXUK // RAM: 16GB 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance LP 1600MHz // Tubing: Xspc HighFlex 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD // Fittings: EK-CSQ 13/19mm + EK-AF 45°/90° + Koolance QD3 + Others  // HDDs: 256GB Crucial M4 + 30GB OCZSSD2-1VTX30G  + 8TB Seagate 3.5  // Fan Control: Lamptron Touch 30w x 6 // Fans: Noiseblocker BlackSilent PL2 1400rpm x12 + BitFenix 140mm Spectre PRO 1200rpm x2 // OS: Windows 8.1 X64 // LEDS: Darkside // Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 // Keyboards: Corsair Vengeance K95 + Logitech G13 // Monitors: Eizo Forbis FS2333BK x3 \\

I have Audio-techinica Ath-M50's there build solid and sound great. if you get the M50x's they have a detachable cable aswell.. I also bought velvet ear cups as i wear them everyday. the velvet helps with wearing them for longer peroids and sweating..

The sennheisers are abit cheaper then the Audio techincas.

The M50 and M50x both represent a bad value, the M40x is better in the sense that its identical to the M50x for what the M50x should cost.

The M50 and M50x both represent a bad value, the M40x is better in the sense that its identical to the M50x for what the M50x should cost.

Yep M40's there cheaper, i don't think the build quality is better then the M50's also there's a 5mm differences in drivers not sure how much of a sound differences there are between them.. never used the m40's cant really comment on them.. but from the M50's i have i can only say good things.

\\ Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 5GHz // Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77 X-UD4H  // CPU BL: EK-Supremacy EVO Acetal // Pump+Top: EK-D5 Vario + X-TOP  // Res: Bitspower Z-Multi 250mm  // Rads: Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 80mm 480mm + Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 480mm  // GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X 3GB GDDR5 OC 1100MHz//1550MHz // GPU BL: Alphacool NexXxos GPXR9280M07 // PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850AXUK // RAM: 16GB 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance LP 1600MHz // Tubing: Xspc HighFlex 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD // Fittings: EK-CSQ 13/19mm + EK-AF 45°/90° + Koolance QD3 + Others  // HDDs: 256GB Crucial M4 + 30GB OCZSSD2-1VTX30G  + 8TB Seagate 3.5  // Fan Control: Lamptron Touch 30w x 6 // Fans: Noiseblocker BlackSilent PL2 1400rpm x12 + BitFenix 140mm Spectre PRO 1200rpm x2 // OS: Windows 8.1 X64 // LEDS: Darkside // Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 // Keyboards: Corsair Vengeance K95 + Logitech G13 // Monitors: Eizo Forbis FS2333BK x3 \\

Yep M40's there cheaper, i don't think the build quality is better then the M50's also there's a 5mm differences in drivers not sure how much of a sound differences there are between them.. never used the m40's cant really comment on them.. but from the M50's i have i can only say good things.

Neither the M40/50/40x/50x are built anything above average, and they all sound pretty much the same, the M40 being the odd dog out. The reason why the M40x is better is that it cost what the M50/50x should cost, and sounds the same and offers the same "features"