Heaven Society - Week 7 (Hyouka)

JLCitadel

vfAXr6z.png

This Weeks Winning Pick

50521.jpg

Synopsis

Oreki Houtarou is a minimalistic high school boy. One day, he joins the Classic Literature Club at his elder sister's request.  There he meets Chitanda Eru, Fukube Satoshi, and Ibara Mayaka. Chitanda is a calm beautiful girl but she turns into an embodiment of curiosity once she says, "I'm interested in it (Watashi, Kininarimasu)". Fukube is a smiling boy with a fantastic memory who calls himself a database. Ibara is a short girl and is strict with others and herself. She loves Fukube, but he always dodges her approaches. They begin to investigate a case that occurred 45 years ago. Hints of the mystery are buried in an old collection of works of the former members of Classics Club. The collection is titled "Hyouka."

My Opinion

This week, I've decided to let @MyInnerFred write this portion of the post, because of how much he likes this particular anime (as I'm sure you all know) and because of his familiarity with it, having already watched it himself. I didn't expect much when I initially started watching Hyouka to be honest, what surprised me the most at the beginning was the production quality. The effort Kyoani has put into making this absolutely beautiful compared to other Kyoani works is noticeable, the animation is essentially movie level quality done in 900p right off the back(not as good as Makoto Shinkai's work but he's on another level). Oreki Houtarou the main character came off as a very relatable character to me in the beginning with his motto "If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do I'll make it quick". The inner monologue and thought process Oreki has throughout the series was what had me hooked on the show the most and kept me watching more than anything. Just so everyone knows now this series isn't for everyone because its a classical slow build up type of story, it replaces the typical amount of action you see in other series with thought provoking mysteries that are admittedly sometimes pointless but does tie in with brilliant character development.

To Kick Off Discussion

How do you feel about 'normal' anime as opposed to an anime that has a focus on the supernatural gifts of a person or a different time period with more advanced technology?

Links To Watch

Member Tags

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awww yusss~!

My Opinion: I didn't expect much when I initially started watching Hyouka to be honest, what surprised me the most at the beginning was the production quality. The effort Kyoani has put into making this absolutely beautiful compared to other Kyoani works is noticeable, the animation is essentially movie level quality done in 900p right off the back(not as good as Makoto Shinkai's work but he's on another level). Oreki Houtarou the main character came off as a very relatable character to me in the beginning with his motto "If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do I'll make it quick". The inner monologue and thought process Oreki has throughout the series was what had me hooked on the show the most and kept me watching more than anything. Just so everyone knows now this series isn't for everyone because its a classical slow build up type of story, it replaces the typical amount of action you see in other series with thought provoking mysteries that are admittedly sometimes pointless but does tie in with brilliant character development.

I could type more now but then it would be a full on review instead of a short opinion. ^.^

(Review incoming after work)

hyouka_group1.png

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

[insert comment here to bookmark and read later]

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

I've already watched the first few episodes of this anime, and so far I really like it. I like it compared to other anime that deals with superpowers and other stuff like that.

I really like watching the relationship between houtarou and chitanda grow in each episode. I also like the mysteries that happen in the episodes, i feel really interested in them. I also like the main overaching storyline as it is very interesting.

If only there was another season...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Some general opinions:

I liked this anime. I watched it a while ago, but recently went and watched the majority of it again. It's rather unusual in how it seems to change genre every now and then. Not sure if it's just me that noticed it, but it seems to change from a romance/drama, to a slight sense of horror (making you think you're going to find out something bad). 

The continued scene/joke of "Watashi Kininarimasu!" and Chitanda's eyes is brilliant, and it's interesting to see how she can make Oreki use more of his precious energy. It's also nice how they can make the anime interesting while only having four consistent characters. 

The main complaint I have about Hyouka is the ending. It's rather boring, and many of the mysteries throughout the anime were much more complicated and well thought out. The incident with the bridge and early construction during the parade was very dull and simple in my opinion. Compared to the Juumonji incident for example, it feels like it lacked any sort of real mystery and didn't require much solving on Oreki's part. 

I like easygoing "normal" (such as this) and slice of life style anime as they are easy to watch as well as the good action ones which leave you pumped and awe inspired by the craziness of them :D . It's good when they add extra elements to everyday anime such as Hyouka with it's various story arcs, especially the festival arc with the big mystery.

I agree with iSaeko about

the ending. It seemed somewhat unfinished. I think the writers could easily have added at least a couple more story arcs building on the character development and more mysteries for Kotarou to solve. Just after high school graduation usually quite a good place to end.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

So THIS is where @MyInnerFred gets all those gifs! :D

nope, not at all.

I've already watched the first few episodes of this anime, and so far I really like it. I like it compared to other anime that deals with superpowers and other stuff like that.

I really like watching the relationship between houtarou and chitanda grow in each episode. I also like the mysteries that happen in the episodes, i feel really interested in them. I also like the main overaching storyline as it is very interesting.

Those get old for me really quick. This style is way more my jam. Slice of Life, Relationship, Drama asre genre's i would put it in. It was definitely one of the better one that season and one that I sat and watches in a couple of sittings.

Why? If I recall it finished perfectly fine if not better than many anime.

Some general opinions:

I liked this anime. I watched it a while ago, but recently went and watched the majority of it again. It's rather unusual in how it seems to change genre every now and then. Not sure if it's just me that noticed it, but it seems to change from a romance/drama, to a slight sense of horror (making you think you're going to find out something bad). 

The continued scene/joke of "Watashi Kininarimasu!" and Chitanda's eyes is brilliant, and it's interesting to see how she can make Oreki use more of his precious energy. It's also nice how they can make the anime interesting while only having four consistent characters. 

The main complaint I have about Hyouka is the ending. It's rather boring, and many of the mysteries throughout the anime were much more complicated and well thought out. The incident with the bridge and early construction during the parade was very dull and simple in my opinion. Compared to the Juumonji incident for example, it feels like it lacked any sort of real mystery and didn't require much solving on Oreki's part. 

the "slight sense of horror" is part of drama but I dont think horror is the correct word for what I think you were trying to say.

Updated with @MyInnerFred 's Opinion

You should add ANN, AniDB, and MAL links as well.

Hmm? What for?

to get more info? find the best *ahem ahem ahem* "groups" and umm to add to your MAL (if you have one)?

to get more info? find the best *ahem ahem ahem* "groups" and umm to add to your MAL (if you have one)?

not sure why we would want more info then already given, Sounds like a hassle. As for groups I just go with whatever.

My MAL is outdated so much that I can't be bothered to do anything about it.

Lazy ftw

So THIS is where @MyInnerFred gets all those gifs! :D

Yes it is, and finally now I have a reason to rewatch this series ^_^

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

not sure why we would want more info then already given, Sounds like a hassle. As for groups I just go with whatever.

My MAL is outdated so much that I can't be bothered to do anything about it.

Lazy ftw

Sometimes i like to see the directors or the anime or the OP/ED that sort of stuff. I mean for me its not too hard since I have them saved as custom search and can right click search for and of my searches (its so handy). I agree, Lazy FTW!

Why? If I recall it finished perfectly fine if not better than many anime.

Obviously, to have more of something great. There's more content than that, the anime barely touched the surface of the original light novels.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Obviously, to have more of something great. There's more content than that, the anime barely touched the surface of the original light novels.

The anime is made to sell the novels, or merchandise so thats not uncommon. Also writing light novels is far easier and less costly than making anime.

The anime is made to sell the novels, or merchandise so thats not uncommon. Also writing light novels is far easier and less costly than making anime.

Guys guys Hyouka was based off of straight up novels. :P There was no Light Novel content.

As of now there really is only enough content for a movie or maybe a really short season that wouldn't be conclusive since they haven't graduated yet. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Guys guys Hyouka was based off of straight up novels. :P There was no Light Novel content.

As of now there really is only enough content for a movie or maybe a really short season that wouldn't be conclusive since they haven't graduated yet.

mmk I actually didnt know there was either of them I was just commenting on anime in general really. Oh and the same applies to novels.

mmk I actually didnt know there was either of them I was just commenting on anime in general really. Oh and the same applies to novels.

Welp it is true, anime is basically there to promote the franchise as a whole. 

Welp it is true, anime is basically there to promote the franchise as a whole.

Well a far larger percentage of japan will buy a novel or manga than watch an anime but anime is on tv and is a bunch of publicity. I mean there are some anime and franchises that dont work that way but their usually OVA's/OAV's or anime done by very experienced people in the industry.

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Hyouka

Pretty sure those are light novels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_novel

"A light novel (ライトノベル raito noberu?) is a style of Japanese novel primarily targeting middle and high school students (young adult demographic)."

Blame Japan for being strange. Hyouka is NOT targeted to middle aged man, so it fits in the category.

Oh well, might as well rewatch the series, I still have all the episodes from way back when they aired...

I'm excited for this series. It looks good!

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/