StealthRay 1.0 -- a silent build in a custom case.

ManWithBeard1990

FINISHED BUILD:

Specs:

CPU: AMD A10 7850K, CPU@4.3 GHz, iGPU@1028 MHz

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, fan in pull, MDF plaque with AMD sticker on top.

Mobo: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme4+

RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB 2400MHz CL11

Storage: 2X Seagate Laptop SSHD 1TB

Power: Cooler Master 500W non-modular PSU

Case: StealthRay

post-84472-0-24172700-1407536179_thumb.j

post-84472-0-05846900-1407536231_thumb.j

post-84472-0-45466900-1407536289_thumb.j

post-84472-0-94766800-1407536426_thumb.j

post-84472-0-66826400-1407536335_thumb.j

post-84472-0-70052100-1407536358_thumb.j

post-84472-0-63090400-1407536460_thumb.j

ORIGINAL POST:

Hello, all

I've been watching Linus Tech Tips for a very long time now, as I like that sort of thing. Recently my Dell XPS 17 died and, since I have recently acquired an iPad I assumed it would be okay if my next machine wasn't portable, and save a bit of money that way. Thing is though, while there are many cases available on the market, there aren't many that I like that are, well, affordable for me. I built a system inside an Antec 300 for my brother once and that is a nice case, but it's very open and lets a lot of noise out. Seeing as an off-the shelf solution wasn't really what I wanted, I turned to Inkscape to draw up some plans and plan to have it laser cut at my local FabLab. Today I went to get the first few pieces cut, so I thought it'd be nice to share how the build goes along. Also, plans will be made available if everything fits properly, so if you like it and want one for yourself, you can just grab these and have one made.

I've testfitted the pieces I already have together, so the internal layout is already somewhat recognizeable.

post-84472-0-27510300-1401987838_thumb.j

post-84472-0-03819100-1407536396_thumb.j

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Nice ! what is that material ? It has a cardboard color. Are you going to paint it ?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

what was the rationale for putting the PSU at the top? Just curious as to why you chose that route

With today's technology I often wonder why we don't have colonies on the moon or Mars. Then I go to Wal Mart for 5 minutes and realize the vast majority of the human populace isn't ready for such things.

It's made out of MDF. It looks nice, but it's meant to be covered by some sort of sound absorbing felt on the inside and painted on the outside. PSU is on top because, well, no reason really. I want it to pull air from the inside the case and I figured hot air from the cpu would be cooler than hot air from a graphics card (even though I don't have one yet).

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

It's made out of MDF. It looks nice, but it's meant to be covered by some sort of sound absorbing felt on the inside and painted on the outside. PSU is on top because, well, no reason really. I want it to pull air from the inside the case and I figured hot air from the cpu would be cooler than hot air from a graphics card (even though I don't have one yet).

Good luck on your project. Keep us posted on how it goes :)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

may I ask what thickness? And nice job

that looks awesome so far! laser cut mdf right? that thing will be real quiet. mdf does a great job at suppressing vibration. cant wait to see how this turns out!

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

All panels I have so far are six millimeters thick. It's nice because a flat sheet of metal is quite flexible, and this isn't. It's easy to glue and paint, and it's also got a nice weight to it, which will definitely help to quiet down the cheap fans I've bought. You see, my idea was not to not make any noise, but rather to keep it in. That's why the side, floor and roof panels will be 9 mm thick, and the space in front of the four fan holes at the front is reserved for a special intake muffler. There's another muffler in a box that covers the rear, which is why cables will be routed through that little box in the rear bottom, where normally the PSU would be. And that, in turn, is why the PSU is on the top. And, lastly, that sawtooth pattern in the bottom is one of the plates of yet another exhaust muffler. They work partly by not hiving sound waves direct line of sight to the outside, but also by providing the sound many different paths of different lengths, partly canceling the waves out with interference.

Thats awesome.

How will the power supply be supported? The back panel looks like the weakest part.

And what is the boxed part at the lower inside rear of the case? will that hold something or there for structural support perhaps.

First build Log I ever subbed to :) Lovin the case! Keep updating!!!

This could be very interesting to see finished. Subbed :D

[spoiler= My "gaming rig" ]

• CPU: Intel i5 2500
  • Motherboard: Asrock B75M-GL R2.0
  • RAM: 1x4 GB 1333 Mhz Kingston, 1x4 GB 1333 Mhz Transcend
  • GPU: MSI GTX 770 Gaming OC 2 GB
  • Case: Zalman Z3 plus white
  • Storage: WD Blue 500 GB, WD Black 1 TB
  • PSU: LC POWER 650W ATX v2.3 80+ bronze
  • Display(s): Acer V223HQ
  • Cooling: Scythe SCKTN-3000
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire TK MX blue
  • Mouse: Sharkoon Fireglider Laser Mouse

No new parts today-- all laser cutters were occupied and fablab is closed till tuesday. I do however have a pic of what it has to offer in terms of cable management behind the motherboard tray.

post-84472-0-18661700-1402063846_thumb.j

The power supply will be mounted to a bracket that gets glued onto the rear panel. It'll be made of a thinner material as 6 mm mdf is too thick for standard psu screws to go all the way through. Don't worry, it is strong enough for what I'm doing with it. If I was to redo it I might want to add some reinforcing on the left hand side, but yeah, it's already reasonable. As I already said, the little box in the back bottom is actually for cable routing. The rear of the case will be covered with some sort of exhaust muffler which will let the air out, but hopefully not the noise. The cables will come out of the back bottom (case will have legs but those aren't cut yet) through an S-shaped duct which is covered with sound-absorbing felt on the inside

No new parts today-- all laser cutters were occupied and fablab is closed till tuesday. I do however have a pic of what it has to offer in terms of cable management behind the motherboard tray.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The power supply will be mounted to a bracket that gets glued onto the rear panel. It'll be made of a thinner material as 6 mm mdf is too thick for standard psu screws to go all the way through. Don't worry, it is strong enough for what I'm doing with it. If I was to redo it I might want to add some reinforcing on the left hand side, but yeah, it's already reasonable. As I already said, the little box in the back bottom is actually for cable routing. The rear of the case will be covered with some sort of exhaust muffler which will let the air out, but hopefully not the noise. The cables will come out of the back bottom (case will have legs but those aren't cut yet) through an S-shaped duct which is covered with sound-absorbing felt on the inside

What form factor build is this the case is quite big.

It's just ATX but the mufflers take up a lot of space. Also, it's probably possible to build a smaller one with the same or more features, but the people who design cases for a living tend to be better at this than I am :D

I'm a sucker for scratch builds. Automatically followed before reading. Is the final design finished?? if so please post it. 

• CPU
    AMD A10 7850K Black Edition (HSA believer, here)
  • Motherboard
    AsRock FM2A88X Extreme4+
RAM
8 GB Kingston HyperX Beast @ 2133 MHz, CL9
GPU
onboard
Storage
2x Seagate Laptop SSHD 1TB
PSU
Cooler Master, 500 watt, non-modular, non-sleeved. 80plus Bronze.
Display(s)
Samsung SyncMaster 920N + Iiyama ProLite X2380HS
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper 212.
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K70, black, Cherry MX Blue
Mouse
MadCatz R.A.T. 5
Discrete GPU will be added, if deemed necessary. Which is likely.
All the design files are finished, but they're just .svg files of individual pieces. It's hard to make out how they go together without assembly instructions. So I'll make those later and post them somewhere.

I've decided I'd like to have some control over how fast the fans go so I'm breaking out the soldering iron and throwing together a crude fan controller. You guys are going to cringe so hard at how ghetto this thing is going to be.

I've decided I'd like to have some control over how fast the fans go so I'm breaking out the soldering iron and throwing together a crude fan controller. You guys are going to cringe so hard at how ghetto this thing is going to be.

I actually am loving the ghettoness of this build.

Whoa, that only took, like, forever to make :) Turned out one of my transistors was faulty and as a result it didn't work first try. But I eventually figured it out, replaced it, and it's working now. I'm getting the impression that the knobs are of relatively low quality though. I can get full power, and I can get no power at all, on each channel, but the halfway point is very different for each channel. Some are more linear than others. Anyway, what it does is provide a stable, lower-than-12V voltage to each channel, irrespective of the load applied. I reckon I can draw up to 2 amps per channel, too, so that's nice. Also, in order to make sure there are no problems starting at low voltage, it first runs the fans at full power for a few seconds when the system is powered on, and then lowers the voltage again. You may also notice there are 5 coin cell batteries. That's one place the ghettoness does show through and it may get complicated here but bear with me. The MOSFETs that regulate power to each channel need to be driven with a voltage that is about 3V higher than the voltage of that channel. Also, MOSFETs don't actually take any current from that signal, so adding a coin cell in between makes perfect sense (in my mind). They will last for many years before they run out. Now for a glamourshot:

post-84472-0-53164300-1402179678_thumb.j

Haha, that'll be a while I'm afraid. FabLab opens again tomorrow, so I will get some extra parts cut. If it weren't for the fact that I'm doing this as a side project to keep me sane during finals it would be finished long ago.