I'm considering starting a YouTube channel - need content advice

rhodestech

Hey guys,

I'm considering starting a YouTube channel. I have plenty of ideas in terms of content, but I need to know what people would want to see.

As I want to release high quality, relevant content. Not just a smattering of videos. 

I'm considering: Hardware related reviews and tutorials, Programming Tutorials, a personal fitness VLOG series (Tracking progression), food series, gaming series etc.

I'm highly knowledgeable in those areas, and would love to share my perspective, opinion and progress with other people, as I enjoy interacting with like-minded people.

Wasn't sure what category this thread should go in, so if a Mod needs to move it, then so be it.

I appreciate the feedback! 

Matt

Social Links: LTT Forum    Website    Instagram    Twitter    YouTube    LinkedIn    Steam 

The Build

CPU Intel i7 4770k 4.4ghz Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z87 RAM 34gb (4 x 8gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz GPU Evga GTX780 Classified Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Storage Samsung 840 256gb SSD PSU Corsair HX750 Display Achieva Shimian QH300-IPSMS 1600p Cooling Corsair H100i Keyboard Corsair K90 Mouse Corsair M65 Sound 3.1 Surround Sound Fans 2x Corsair SP120 PWM, 3x Corsair AF140 Q.E, and 1x Corsair AF120 Q.E.

if you want hobby, choose what you would like

if you want to succeed and get views, get into gaming, and make sure every single video is entertaining and original. the main thing is, that you play games that are relevant. those games that are most likely to be searched in youtube for. right now, oculus is VERY new and VERY hot. you can get 10k views like that! if you make really good content, the subscirbers are gonna skyrocket, then you cant stop the chain reaction.

Pretty much you need to differentiate yourself, give viewers an incentive to watch your videos and keep at it.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

since your late the the game

for hardware

step 1. be rich

software takes time

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

if you want to succeed and get views, get into gaming, and make sure every single video is entertaining and original. the main thing is, that you play games that are relevant. those games that are most likely to be searched in youtube for. right now, oculus is VERY new and VERY hot. you can get 10k views like that! if you make really good content, the subscirbers are gonna skyrocket, then you cant stop the chain reaction.

Yeah, it's just a case of what to do. I have a genuine passion for all of the areas above. I don't have spare money for an Oculus dev kit at the moment :\

Social Links: LTT Forum    Website    Instagram    Twitter    YouTube    LinkedIn    Steam 

The Build

CPU Intel i7 4770k 4.4ghz Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z87 RAM 34gb (4 x 8gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz GPU Evga GTX780 Classified Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Storage Samsung 840 256gb SSD PSU Corsair HX750 Display Achieva Shimian QH300-IPSMS 1600p Cooling Corsair H100i Keyboard Corsair K90 Mouse Corsair M65 Sound 3.1 Surround Sound Fans 2x Corsair SP120 PWM, 3x Corsair AF140 Q.E, and 1x Corsair AF120 Q.E.

since your late the the game

for hardware

step 1. be rich

software takes time

I was thinking for the short-term, I could provide in depth reviews on my current components in my rig.  My rig is now a year old, and I have plenty of usage experience.

The Build

Be careful if you get into gaming, as the only way to monetize gameplay videos is through networks which will want a share of your money. For everything else, the sky's the limit, do what you like and show your viewers that you like it and you have a shot at getting famous.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yeah, it's just a case of what to do. I have a genuine passion for all of the areas above. I don't have spare money for an Oculus dev kit at the moment :\

Well at least you need a webcam.

For now, you can just be a copycat and play games that big youtubers play. Happy wheels, kerbal space program, hot new AAA games, goat simulator, rust, etc... check this out

https://www.youtube.com/trendsdashboard

Just make sure for new titles, you are first at the table. And keep away from MC.

Well at least you need a webcam.

For now, you can just be a copycat and play games that big youtubers play. Happy wheels, kerbal space program, hot new AAA games, goat simulator, rust, etc... check this out

https://www.youtube.com/trendsdashboard

Just make sure for new titles, you are first at the table. And keep away from MC.

That's a great idea. I would still want to give my own unique take/spin on things. I don't want to appear to be a copy-cat in anyway. What do you mean by "MC"?

The Build

Do what you love. If it was me , I would make time lap videos of me building Lego sets

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I think the importante question here is:

Are you prepared for the negative aspect of youtube?

If you can't handle (or ignore) the internet trolls, chances are, you're not going to succeed.

That's a great idea. I would still want to give my own unique take/spin on things. I don't want to appear to be a copy-cat in anyway. What do you mean by "MC"?

minecraft

You want to be original, in what sence? I mean, as far as top gaming channels goes, the most viewed are videos that are funny with games packed with action and funny jizz.

Combined with great personality and acting / voice acting you can be top 100 in matter of months.

If you can't handle (or ignore) the internet trolls, chances are, you're not going to succeed.

623px-Genius-meme.png

The only criticism I would care about would be from the actual viewer-base. I have no cares for internet trolls. I'm not doing this for the monetary aspect. I have watched many youtube videos, taken advice from people/forums etc and I feel as though I'm in the position to give back to people. The aspect where money would be a concern would be for increasing production values. 

The Build

You are teaching him to be a there then gone youtuber, and frankly I think that is very bad advice if he wants this to work out more than a year or two. That is just not how you build a long term following. You need to make a channel dedicated to an area and stick to it. Depending on what you are doing it might take a long time but eventually you will be noticed if you truly are offering something unique. If you make videos that other people have seen before they have no reason to subscribe and they won't. But if you make videos that are interesting, well made, and you have something that nobody else has you can succeed. I say can because there never are guarantees unless you are offering something truly revolutionary.

Also do your market research. Whatever you plan on doing start looking up other people who are already well established. See what they are doing right. Then look at small channels and see what they are doing wrong. Be aware of your digital surroundings.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

You are teaching him to be a there then gone youtuber. That is not how you build a long term following. You need to make a channel dedicated to an area and stick to it. Depending on what you are doing it might take a long time but eventually you will be noticed if you truly are offering something unique. If you make videos that other people have seen before they have no reason to subscribe and they won't. But if you make videos that are interesting, well made, and you have something that nobody else has you can succeed. I say can because there never are guarantees unless you are offering something truly revolutionary.

I have no idea, what did i say to be taken as teaching him a there then gone youtuber, could you clarify this for me ?

THe most successful youtubers got following in very short amount of time.

Gaming is an area with biggest ( still growing, we are only cuple years into it ) and most dedicated userbase.

Thats why i said, if you are first to the table when they write a name of the game in search bar, you are going to be there. But popular games do get most views too.

In gaming, you have to know what is good for the channel. You cant play only indie games. But you can play popular and good indie games. You cant play booring games like battlefield 4 singleplayer. But you can make a lot of views with fun MP jizz.

If you can think of area that is or could be popular then go with it. I cant think of any. Depends on you then :P

Again, if you are good infront of mic and camera, a joker you are going to get following and most views.

If you are just gonna play games, that aint gonna cut it, unless you have quality production, editing and you allways pick AAA games and play immediatelly.

Fun, lots of energy and laugh is best guarantee for new subscribers.

I will put an introductory video together, specifying what types of videos I can produce and where we can go from there. Sadly, I'm concerned about my voice, as I think it sounds slightly monotone.

The Build

lol what?

I am not sure if your question about being able to handle internet trolls is a troll itself or what?

Cus its pretty stupid and irrelevant.

But, again if you are a bit younger I understand so i wont make an attempt to argue with you and i would advise not to quote me again. Thank you.

I will put an introductory video together, specifying what types of videos I can produce and where we can go from there. Sadly, I'm concerned about my voice, as I think it sounds slightly monotone.

make sure you send it to me :)

i will judge your voice, maybe because you recorded yourself you sound funny to yourself. its usually like that because when we speak, we hear our voice deeper, there is reverb from skull and other stuff...

but with voice acting and confidence you can improve monotony. with practice obviously.

I have no idea, what did i say to be taken as teaching him a there then gone youtuber, could you clarify this for me ?

THe most successful youtubers got following in very short amount of time.

Gaming is an area with biggest ( still growing, we are only cuple years into it ) and most dedicated userbase.

Thats why i said, if you are first to the table when they write a name of the game in search bar, you are going to be there. But popular games do get most views too.

In gaming, you have to know what is good for the channel. You cant play only indie games. But you can play popular and good indie games. You cant play booring games like battlefield 4 singleplayer. But you can make a lot of views with fun MP jizz.

If you can think of area that is or could be popular then go with it. I cant think of any. Depends on you then :P

Again, if you are good infront of mic and camera, a joker you are going to get following and most views.

If you are just gonna play games, that aint gonna cut it, unless you have quality production, editing and you allways pick AAA games and play immediatelly.

Fun, lots of energy and laugh is best guarantee for new subscribers.

You are appealing to kids with short attention spans when you do that. If for whatever reason they get bored of you your channel will tank and because all you play are trendy and dumb games while putting on a usually fake personality to entertain people. Eventually people get tired of it and you have nothing to offer. You have to be a very special kind of person to make that work, a person who it hard to dislike. Those people are very hard to find and you will know if you are one.

If the OP is not a joker, player of trendy games, and a charismatic person he can't do that. I wouldn't even recommend a charismatic funny person to make that kind of content anyway. The only thing those people do is play games and make crude jokes. They are popular but their content is not very good. I'll put some youtubers in a spoiler tag so I don't get reported for advertising to further prove my points.

One of the best examples of a youtube channel I can think of that truly did something unique is the SloMo Guys. They came out of the gate making high quality content on slow motion video which in itself had not really been done before on youtube. The two guys who run it are both funny and overall just likable guys. However their videos were well made enough to warrant people to subscribe to them whether or not they were actually funny or not.

Another example is a popular channel channel I don't personally follow but did something unique is Game Theory. The host used pretty bad editing in the beginning, he had a somewhat monotone voice, and was even slightly annoying. But his videos on various theories inside video game lore was actually very interesting. And the way he would back up his seemingly farfetched arguments with fact was extremely captivating.

Finally would be LTT and no links will be provided. They started out small with next to no resources (even filming in what looked like the closets of NCIX) but tech youtubers just did not exist at the time so he grew and flourished. And just look where he is now.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Be careful if you get into gaming, as the only way to monetize gameplay videos is through networks which will want a share of your money. For everything else, the sky's the limit, do what you like and show your viewers that you like it and you have a shot at getting famous.

From What I know, you might aspell just skip that part and just ask for donations and stuff. With donations, I'm pretty sure you get %100 of the donation as Well.

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

From What I know, you might aspell just skip that part and just ask for donations and stuff. With donations, I'm pretty sure you get %100 of the donation as Well.

Yes, but it's hard to get donations if you don't have a big fanbase. You need to build it somehow first.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

They are popular but their content is not very good.

... thats why they are popular, because they are faking it. Funny content. User base may be younger, under 20 yes, but thats the target audience anyway if you want views. You dont need to be ridiculus, but you can be an actor.

Would you watch ever RWJ if he spoke normally and didnt joke? No. You would just want to watch those funny videos compilation.

And i am not even using my memory. I am reading numbers from youtube top channels. All actors.

True, if he cant / dont want to do it, its better to do something else. I am talking from views/subs stand point.

There is also a block function that barely any YouTubers use. I say that if you're a smaller channel, block all the trolls to make your community more enjoyable.

Go for it! It sounds like you're really interested in all those topics and I'm sure you can make some interesting videos with it! I'll try and give you a few tips:

Make sure your videos are nicely edited, but don't make them overproduced. Speak naturally in your videos (if you know a lot about what you're saying, which you seem to, this shouldn't be a problem for you) and pretend that you're giving advice/talking to a friend or relative.

Have a regular upload schedule. If you can do one video a day, great. You don't have to make the videos every day - you could record a bunch of stuff one day, edit it the next, then relax for the next few days as you just make one video available to watch each evening.

Decorate your channel as soon as you can. If you have a nice looking channel art it makes all the difference. When you are able to, change your video thumbnails to something that will tell viewers exactly what to expect in the video. The majority of the time, people decide to watch a video based on what the thumbnail looks like, instead of reading the title of the video first.

Most of all: don't give your subscribers a collective noun of any kind. That's cringy. Listen to their feedback and try to adapt to what's going on. While the channel is yours and you can do as you please with it, the videos are there to entertain your viewers, so make sure they will enjoy it!

I started doing a YouTube channel myself with some Maths, Physics and Biology revision videos, along with a little bit of gameplay too. It was a while ago, and all I had to make them was a MacBook, and iPhone to record and an inline mic for sound. Now I have nothing else to do I might start doing them again, especially now I have a computer that can handle game captures.

Good luck! 

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8