I have 5 hours to fix the gaming mini van

Problem 1: My gaming minivan is completely broken and not a single game can be played. Problem 2: I promised my children that they'd be able to game during our road trip over the long weekend. Problem 3: The long weekend is in 5 hours, we've gotta get going.

16 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Gaming office / Podcast studio RV would be a good evolution to this project. 

Now that the video equipment can fit into half a rack, professional media organizations actually have mobile interview studio vans. They just have to hold a monitor or green screen and some lights. They're great for interviews, because the shot never changes so everything can be preconfigured and bolted down. Very little setup time needed to get a shot up.

The biggest limitation to building an all-in-one podcast studio is the lack of floor space. It could probably be done if all the tech goes in the van, and the "studio" is built into a trailer. (Either that or the van would have to be more like an RV with pop-out sides.)

https://www.motortrend.com/news/news-station-mercedes-van-tv-studio-conversion/

https://mediaconcepts.tv/products/67823

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

Now that the equipment can fit into half a rack, professional media organizations actually have mobile interview studio vans. The biggest limitation to building an all-in-one podcast studio is the lack of floor space. It could probably be done if all the tech goes in the van, and the "studio" is built into a trailer. (Either that or the van would have to be more like an RV with pop-out sides.)

ENG news vans aren't new. 

None of this is bleeding edge technology, but the implementation and packaging of different parts into a new system is what allows for telling a compelling story.  Finding projects that are fun and both useful seems to be a driving factor.

The ability to put power into a box on wheels and fit some computers into it isn't really rare (working with partners to access unavailable tech can make it so) but really it's just here is an idea that people can explore and hopefully learn with a fun story to keep people entertained.  

So a tiny hole on wheels built on a EV trailer, or an old RV that has been modernized into a box on wheels to enable camping for a family, or give an office/media company  a secondary office or podcast studio (for the founder to ummm test technology in the woods with the family and not break the streak) is the kind of DIY project that lots of people like watching.

50 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Now that the video equipment can fit into half a rack, professional media organizations actually have mobile interview studio vans. They just have to hold a monitor or green screen and some lights. They're great for interviews, because the shot never changes so everything can be preconfigured and bolted down. Very little setup time needed to get a shot up.

The biggest limitation to building an all-in-one podcast studio is the lack of floor space. It could probably be done if all the tech goes in the van, and the "studio" is built into a trailer. (Either that or the van would have to be more like an RV with pop-out sides.)

sounds like a certain carpool themed podcast has an excuse to exist again...   

also does anyone know what that 4g puck was? 

this just means there can be another episode, like creating your own rear view mirror/camera (it needs to be a good one and calculated correctly for that type of view). Since the camera crew likely knows a bit about adjusting the camera for rear view usage/safety? not sure how legal some of the modifications would be. also showing other tech stuff could be cool too. also fixing up on this ceiling monitor, that got to be an ouch bend for the hdmi cable?

Leave it up to Linus to overdo it completely.

I would have used something like a Asus-ROG-Z13. mounted trough a DIY mount with USB-C panel mount adapter with cables running to the back for power/extra storage/GPU power.

for a mini-can 3 13inch tablets/laptops would be more than enough for that OTG gaming.

and if you use custom brackets, you can easily have 3 13 inch screens in a minivan

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Did LMG end up giving the guy's kid who made the IR sensor thing a PC (or something similar)? The letter they showed was kinda heartbreaking if you read it and seems like the least they could do for being given the sensor for free and including it in the video.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

47 minutes ago, Birblover12 said:

Did LMG end up giving the guy's kid who made the IR sensor thing a PC (or something similar)? The letter they showed was kinda heartbreaking if you read it and seems like the least they could do for being given the sensor for free and including it in the video.

working together with someone on some content could be cool, but if one where to take all such stories like that, would open up for issues. but could be nice with something, and if there is also another tech reason to do something positive? behind the scenes or not, but would think this is between them and if they were allowed to be included into the video like this.

7 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

working together with someone on some content could be cool, but if one where to take all such stories like that, would open up for issues. but could be nice with something, and if there is also another tech reason to do something positive? behind the scenes or not, but would think this is between them and if they were allowed to be included into the video like this.

Yeah no that's valid. I was just reading over the letter and I figured if they gave stuff out to completely random people before then he'd be deserving, but yeah I guess it would make total sense if LMG didn't disclose something like that, especially given their current stance on people begging for stuff.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

So the reason you are not using for example 3 steam decks and instead a full size gaming pc is...

Does anyone know where the IR receiver from cosmicgoo can be bought(or is it not a product yet)? It would be really cool to use as in conjunction with my HTPC.

Considering how aggressively YouTube promotes videos of parents doing things with their kids, it seems quite odd to give no indication of this being the case for this video in the thumbnail or title.

I had been ignoring the video for days because it didn't sound that interesting, but getting his kids involved gave the video a completely different spin to what was implied.  I particularly found it amusing when every time he explained something to the camera, his daughter would ask "whats an x" and he would calmly explain.  Such a key part of good parenting.

I was also left wondering if its actually legal to block the rear view mirror in his province, not to mention the safety of these monitors during a crash, given the kids heads could impact them.

ASUS B650E-F GAMING WIFI + R7 7800X3D + 2x Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR5-6000 CL30-36-36-76  + ASUS RTX 4090 TUF Gaming OC

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) Backup: GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz) WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz)
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~1200Mbit down, 115Mbit up, variable)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

58 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I was also left wondering if its actually legal to block the rear view mirror in his province, not to mention the safety of these monitors during a crash, given the kids heads could impact them.

sadly often rear mirrors are neglected in a lot of cars. and some dont have an alternative option which sucks, while others do with having an rear view camera going into the rear view mirror at the front or using the hub/other monitors.

4 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

sadly often rear mirrors are neglected in a lot of cars. and some dont have an alternative option which sucks, while others do with having an rear view camera going into the rear view mirror at the front or using the hub/other monitors.

While true, there may be a difference between one not being included in the vehicle, and actually obscuring one that is.

Thinking purely from a psychological point of view, if its there you're going to check it even if its obscured.  If its not, you're much more quickly going to get used to not doing so.

I wonder if we will get a follow up video of Linus installing a rear-view camera?  I'd certainly want to take every precaution possible with my kids in the car.

I'm actually surprised he didn't realise it would cause a problem from the start, it was the first thing I thought of when I saw it.  But then we know Linus can get over-excited about these projects and miss obvious pitfalls.

ASUS B650E-F GAMING WIFI + R7 7800X3D + 2x Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR5-6000 CL30-36-36-76  + ASUS RTX 4090 TUF Gaming OC

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) Backup: GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz) WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz)
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~1200Mbit down, 115Mbit up, variable)

I really want to push to my quest 2 for more VR games (not happy with the meta store). Does anyone know what the actually GPU was before they switched to the USB-c converter? I have a 1660 now and I think a 20series would be a decent upgrade.  

16 minutes ago, Nurse Connor said:

I really want to push to my quest 2 for more VR games (not happy with the meta store). Does anyone know what the actually GPU was before they switched to the USB-c converter? I have a 1660 now and I think a 20series would be a decent upgrade.  

It was an RTX 2080TI, although the 2080 & 2070 have the same Virtual Link.  The Founder cards definitely have it, and most AIB cards do too but just make sure the specific card you want has it before pulling the trigger.

On 7/10/2024 at 9:42 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Transport Vans dont have any or its blocked to since the rear Wall are covered.
I wonder the hole time if he check with the manufacture if the Airbags get blocked in any way. If so the Display can get damaged when the goes off and shart Plastic Particle fly around the hole care.

I would never ever cut a Hole in the Roof what when he remove that thing or resell the Car? He cant un do it and the resell Value goes drasticly goes Down.

Here some "influencer" use "old" Delivery Cars like that:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lieferwagen#/media/Datei:Mercedes-Benz_Sprinter_(2018)_IMG_1995.jpg

and reuse them as a Camper, Work Van. Sure the are not permit to be in the Back during driving that mean at best only 3 ppl can sit in the front. The other problem is the total weight can not exede 3,5T.

From AT. :x

27 minutes ago, Required said:

I believe in some countries there is a difference between a transport van and something considered to be safe for transporting your kids.

1 hour ago, Nurse Connor said:

The Quest doesn't use DP-ALT mode, AFAIK the only VR headset ever designed around it was PSVR2, which is why both AMD and NVIDIA ditched it.  Quite annoying actually as it later became useful for connecting certain monitors with a single cable.

Quest streams a compressed video feed over any old USB 3 port or WiFi.  Again quite annoying as DP-ALT mode would have dramatically better picture quality and lower latency.

On 7/12/2024 at 4:53 AM, Required said:

I wonder the hole time if he check with the manufacture if the Airbags get blocked in any way. If so the Display can get damaged when the goes off and shart Plastic Particle fly around the hole care.

I would never ever cut a Hole in the Roof what when he remove that thing or resell the Car? He cant un do it and the resell Value goes drasticly goes Down.

Here some "influencer" use "old" Delivery Cars like that:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lieferwagen#/media/Datei:Mercedes-Benz_Sprinter_(2018)_IMG_1995.jpg

and reuse them as a Camper, Work Van. Sure the are not permit to be in the Back during driving that mean at best only 3 ppl can sit in the front. The other problem is the total weight can not exede 3,5T.

have your see many youtube video where most of them had different idea for post the mod of various gaming rig at gaming van 

if Linus is travel much regular for frequently trip...