Just a reminder for whoever needs to hear it: cheap phones are good now.

ccnow

Obviously that's not to say there isn't a place for expensive flagship phones, or a use case for them, and if you want an expensive phone and have the means to afford it, by all means go ahead.

I just saw someone break their phone and freak out of the the thousand dollar cost to replace it. You genuinely should not feel like you need to be getting a thousand dollar phone. I use a Motorola Razr 40 as my daily driver myself and when I go to concerts and mosh around I switch to a cheap phone. My current cheap backup phone is a $150 2024 Moto G 5G and the last time I switched over for a show I just used it for a week because I couldn't be bothered to find my SIM tool and switch back.

Are there concessions made? Sure. On that particular phone the screen is a crappy LCD...but when it comes to using my apps, calling, texting, browsing the web...it works totally fine. I know the users here are more likely to need more than it offers, but odds are the people around you who ask about what phone to buy don't...and this is obviously the extreme example.

I think a $300-$350 phone would completely satisfy 80% of the users in the world.

Just food for thought.

In addition to that: Old flagship phones are good too!

You get a high-end OLED screen and high-end camera system (cameras BARELY improve year over year) for only a few hundred $$.

I have an employee iPhone 12 from Fall 2020 and it is still as snappy as my personal iPhone 14 Pro (Fall 2023).

I bought a Note 20 Ultra (Aug 2020) for fun recently and it feels snappy like a modern phone too.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

1 minute ago, saintlouisbagels said:

In addition to that: Old flagship phones are good too!

You get a high-end OLED screen and high-end camera system (cameras BARELY improve year over year) for only a few hundred $$.

I have an employee iPhone 12 from Fall 2020 and it is still as snappy as my personal iPhone 14 Pro (Fall 2023).

I bought a Note 20 Ultra (Aug 2020) for fun recently and it feels snappy like a modern phone too.

I still have an iPhone 12 kicking around that I was using until December when I got the RAZR, I still use it from time to time for some games I don't want to re-buy on Android.

if we are talking phones like the poco f5 for ppl that game or the a54 for ppl that need the camera theyre good new phones around that 350$ pricepoint

go lower and youll be met with dogshit unless you are buying used where i can buy used poco x3 pro for like 100$ nowadays and id say those are competent for gaming with a half decent soc, best of both worlds theres the poco f3 with an amoled, a better soc , and presumably a better camera around the 150$ mark

My $250 2 year old Motorola is "fine," it is noticeably slower than a modern flagship, but it does everything it needs to do. I even survived off of it exclusively on a trip to Japan, for all of my research and navigation.

Dad just got Xiaomi Redmi Note 13 Pro 5G like a month ago for €270... AMOLED 120Hz display, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage, 5100mAh battery, 200Mpx camera, Snapdragon 7s Gen2... At that price it's really hard to beat. 

Also 67W fast charging with charger included, protective case included, pre-applied screen protector too. 

Meanwhile mom is using my old OnePlus 6T after I've got Pixel 7 over a year ago. 

44 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

go lower and youll be met with dogshit unless you are buying used

That's what I'm telling you. For most people, this is incorrect.

My Samsung Note 9 still does everything I want it to, and has heaps of the Samsung features.

Nice enough 4K60 Camera for video, ample megapixels for my needs,

1080p/1440p OLED, and everything I use is snappy.

I took care of the battery, still lasts multiple days and no burn in so I feel no need to upgrade.

People would call it below midrange today though.

You can absolutely get by easily with a midrange phone with a decent display and camera.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz