Would a "GPU-less" NAS be Possible on Consumer Hardware?

Hey guys (This is Austin, not) - Sorry, not sorry

I have a question for you all running a home NAS, UnRAID, PLEX or similar.

I'm in the process of saving to upgrading my rig (From the specs in the signature) to a 7th gen Ryzen. But I still want to use my old hardware, but as a NAS instead. I've got about 15 500GB HDDs lying about, and I want to put them to use for a NAS a PLEX Server (Planning on buying the Fractal Design Node 804 and using 10x 3.5" HDDs and 2x 2.5" SSDs). My issue is, I'd want to keep my GPU for my new platform, but my current CPU does not have an iGPU. So, without a GPU, it has no possible way to have a display out. 

I will also add that I am planning on using the NAS software which Linus has invested in and helping create. I know it was mentioned on a recent WAN Show, just can't remember the name off the top of my head.

I simply want to use it to run the software for the drives, so I can access movies and store family photos etc with back-up redundancy, so there will not be a monitor attached to it. But I still want to be able to connect to some sort of GPU via a web browser or similar. I'm just not even sure that this is possible. 

I've also managed to get given a 12th gen i5 powered SSFF PC which I'm going to use as a HTPC once the NAS/PLEX is set-up.

I just want to know in advice if I will need to source some sort of GPU to allow me to even consider this.

TIA

My current Set-Up: (Now in RGB)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 | CPU cooler: EVGA CLC 280 | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Classified @ 2050MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 | RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2 | Boot SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB via SilverStone SST-ECM20 | Game Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB | Main Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM | Back-up Storage: 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 5900RPM in software RAID-1 | Recording Drive: Samsung SpinPoint 160GB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT S340 Elite Black/Red | OS: Windows 10 Professional | Keyboard: Wooting Two HE | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Samsung S24E45KBSV | Speakers: Sony PCVA-SP2 (Which sound FANTASTIC) | Headset: HyperX Cloud II

I know for a fact that AM4 does post without a GPU present (but you have to install your OS before hand). What you can do is if you have a spare USB disk that yyou can install your software of your choice onto, just do that make sure your USB device is the primary boot device, pull your graphics card out and see if you can access its web user interface once you turn it on.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

8 minutes ago, PlymouthJoseph said:

I will also add that I am planning on using the NAS software which Linus has invested in and helping create.

Seeing how we know literally fuck all about this platform, this is an impossible question to answer. It's reasonable to assume this platform can be managed by simply SSHing in, but who knows? 

For similar products like unRAID, if you device can POST without a GPU, you are fine. Everything is managed via web browser. 

I would still recommend a spare GPU for BIOS and troubleshooting purposes so you don't have to pull your main GPU out everytime you need to manage the machine. Something like a NVS 300 or similar business GPU can be had for next to nothing on eBay. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

1 minute ago, Levent said:

I know for a fact that AM4 does post without a GPU present (but you have to install your OS before hand). What you can do is if you have a spare USB disk that yyou can install your software of your choice onto, just do that make sure your USB device is the primary boot device, pull your graphics card out and see if you can access its web user interface once you turn it on.

Not exactly what I was going for, but that is a fantastic way to find out and try. Haha

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 | CPU cooler: EVGA CLC 280 | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Classified @ 2050MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 | RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2 | Boot SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB via SilverStone SST-ECM20 | Game Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB | Main Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM | Back-up Storage: 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 5900RPM in software RAID-1 | Recording Drive: Samsung SpinPoint 160GB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT S340 Elite Black/Red | OS: Windows 10 Professional | Keyboard: Wooting Two HE | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Samsung S24E45KBSV | Speakers: Sony PCVA-SP2 (Which sound FANTASTIC) | Headset: HyperX Cloud II

It'll depend on if your motherboard supports something called headless mode, where it will boot without a GPU installed. Not all boards do, my luck so far has been relatively good with Gigabyte boards supporting it and less so with MSI (every time I've needed headless mode it's been on a board from those two vendors, so I don't know about ASUS/ASRock), but your mileage may vary and from what I've seen even the specific BIOS revision you're on can affect whether it works. If the system will boot without a GPU installed, everything you want to do should be possible, you just need to have the GPU installed while you install an OS like TrueNAS or UnRAID (with this many drives, I'd want to use TrueNAS or some other ZFS based NAS), pull out the GPU and control everything else from a web browser (graphics are rendered on the viewing system, not the server, so no graphics are needed). 

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

I know for a fact that AM4 does post without a GPU present

I've seen AM4 boards that don't (X570 Ace). It might be that a BIOS update would fix it, but it's not a given. 

1 minute ago, Skipple said:

Seeing how we know literally about this platform, this is an impossible question to answer. It's reasonable to assume this platform can be managed by simply SSHing in, but who knows? 

For similar products like unRAID, if you device can POST without a GPU, you are fine. Everything is managed via web browser. 

I would still recommend a GPU for BIOS and troubleshooting purposes. Something like a NVS 300 or similar business GPU can be had for next to nothing on eBay. 

Would there be a way I can see if I can even POST without a GPU installed though? It's not like I can remove the GPU and power it on and see if the NumLock key lights up and the RGB works on my KB? Right?

And you're not wrong, that is a very cheap GPU. was hoping to spend as little as possible on that, but that wouldn't be able to do anything more than a video out, right? Like, media encoding for example. 

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It'll depend on if your motherboard supports something called headless mode, where it will boot without a GPU installed. Not all boards do, my luck so far has been relatively good with Gigabyte boards supporting it and less so with MSI (every time I've needed headless mode it's been on a board from those two vendors, so I don't know about ASUS/ASRock), but your mileage may vary and from what I've seen even the specific BIOS revision you're on can affect whether it works. If the system will boot without a GPU installed, everything you want to do should be possible, you just need to have the GPU installed while you install an OS like TrueNAS or UnRAID (with this many drives, I'd want to use TrueNAS or some other ZFS based NAS), pull out the GPU and control everything else from a web browser (graphics are rendered on the viewing system, not the server, so no graphics are needed). 

I've seen AM4 boards that don't (X570 Ace). It might be that a BIOS update would fix it, but it's not a given. 

I'll have to do some digging in my BIOS to see if I can find any mention of headless mode or similar. Any idea what it may be called under a Z97 platform motherboard?

And with the AM4, I feel like maybe he was referring to no GPU as (I think) they all have iGPUs, right?

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, PlymouthJoseph said:

I'm in the process of saving to upgrading my rig (From the specs in the signature) to a 7th gen Ryzen. But I still want to use my old hardware, but as a NAS instead. I've got about 15 500GB HDDs lying about, and I want to put them to use for a NAS a PLEX Server (Planning on buying the Fractal Design Node 804 and using 10x 3.5" HDDs and 2x 2.5" SSDs). My issue is, I'd want to keep my GPU for my new platform, but my current CPU does not have an iGPU. So, without a GPU, it has no possible way to have a display out. 

I will also add that I am planning on using the NAS software which Linus has invested in and helping create. I know it was mentioned on a recent WAN Show, just can't remember the name off the top of my head.

I simply want to use it to run the software for the drives, so I can access movies and store family photos etc with back-up redundancy, so there will not be a monitor attached to it. But I still want to be able to connect to some sort of GPU via a web browser or similar. I'm just not even sure that this is possible. 

I've also managed to get given a 12th gen i5 powered SSFF PC which I'm going to use as a HTPC once the NAS/PLEX is set-up.

I just want to know in advice if I will need to source some sort of GPU to allow me to even consider this.

TIA

Problem is how to setup Windows while blind 🙂

Why don't just get any used $10 GPU (GT710 level) ?

2 minutes ago, PlymouthJoseph said:

I'll have to do some digging in my BIOS to see if I can find any mention of headless mode or similar. Any idea what it may be called under a Z97 platform motherboard?

And with the AM4, I feel like maybe he was referring to no GPU as (I think) they all have iGPUs, right?

No AM4 have no iGPU except the G models

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / ASUS ROG AZOTH keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 minutes ago, PlymouthJoseph said:

I feel like maybe he was referring to no GPU as (I think) they all have iGPUs, right?

AM4 CPUs dont have iGPUs. Only AM4 APUs do.

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I have this feeling (nothing I can confirm since I only have motherboards from Gigabyte and Asrock) this was an AGESA update introduced thing.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

7 minutes ago, PlymouthJoseph said:

Would there be a way I can see if I can even POST without a GPU installed though? It's not like I can remove the GPU and power it on and see if the NumLock key lights up and the RGB works on my KB? Right?

Personally, what I would do, assuming there is an OS installed on the device is simply boot without the GPU and then attempt to PING the IP from another machine. If I get a response, I know the PC is fully booted.

7 minutes ago, PlymouthJoseph said:

And you're not wrong, that is a very cheap GPU. was hoping to spend as little as possible on that, but that wouldn't be able to do anything more than a video out, right? Like, media encoding for example. 

No. The chip is designed to do video output and that's it. If you are going to be doing any media encoding/transcoding, I would recommend simply springing for a more expensive, but used, GPU now rather than waste money on the cheap-o. This obviously would depend on your budget and use case. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

For what it's worth (and assuming you are in the US) this dude is selling NVS 300s for $6 with free shipping:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185342235443

For a few bucks more than a cup of coffee, it's a non-issue. 

ask me about my homelab

12 minutes ago, PlymouthJoseph said:

It's not a BIOS setting, it's how they setup the BIOS. Board vendors can either decide that because it's a consumer board that 99% of people will use for desktop applications, if there's no GPU installed there's an issue and give you an error code instead of booting as for most people that would indicate something's wrong with their GPU, or just not care and boot up as long as the memory trains. Newer boards tend to operate more in the not caring camp, but not all boards do. 

Pretty much the only way to find out is to install an OS, remove the GPU, and try to access it remotely (either by pinging it, trying to access via SSH, etc.)

12 minutes ago, PlymouthJoseph said:

It's quite the opposite actually, AM4 CPUs rarely have iGPUs, it's AM5 that introduced almost all of their CPUs having iGPUs. 

8 minutes ago, Levent said:

I have this feeling (nothing I can confirm since I only have motherboards from Gigabyte and Asrock) this was an AGESA update introduced thing.

It very well might be, I can't confirm it either since I sold that board a while ago as everything about it drove me nuts. I'm mainly saying that because there very much are instances where it does not work headlessly so you can't say that it always works. 

39 minutes ago, PlymouthJoseph said:

TIA

Install the OS beforehand make sure you have a mobo that supports headless mode and you should assign it a static ip so you can ssh/robocopy/whatever to it. Most consumer boards don’t have a headless mode feature so you will have to buy some sort of server board. It’s honestly better to spend some money on a very cheap gpu like the gt 710. This one is pretty cheap and will save you more then having the headaches of finding a different mobo and cpu combo: https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Video-Graphics-GV-N710D3-2GL-REV2-0/dp/B01IEO05NU/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?adgrpid=103819559467&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.sIfChIwkyqAUyaWAmucQz71vXo0e3D81BwQ5PKTdo1ISb7BZhIiCtEL2cqbV07ESwFLGmbPVIdO2k52tEzKHwwf9bXgJBPpugn0mxo0c_X0QTPaClKz9r_dEeQ6KYRjRKsTik20hKu-boFgTVEJVDPw2-ncyOXNk_YSodPbdU5lUMBKsT2S1336otlohTg9xaycz16QSIjyxTBTxiONfMQ.eFhIp9Obmq2oaYX1Vmf5sqwN_-v_NnmS-Ylee1WmmDM&dib_tag=se&hvadid=609181582037&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9061320&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=2235860991466784294&hvtargid=kwd-298654067904&hydadcr=20106_13388452&keywords=nvidia+geforce+gt+710&qid=1719248400&sr=8-3

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

No AM4 have no iGPU except the G models

I was thinking of the same if it comes to it. Just want to avoid purchasing anything more than I need to.

And yeah, I was thinking of AM5, not AM4. My bad.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Agreed. But you can install windows the arch linux way hahahah. its been done before but you would still need to be able to ssh to the server aka headless mode or you can install windows beforehand on another machine. 

So. I have a mate who may be willing to give me his old GTX 1070 when he upgrades. That will be the GPU sorted, and would allow me to use it just to set-up the NAS/Plex.

I do have another question though. Can you have a NAS and Plex running on the same system and hardware? I don't even know if my use case will work, since I'm really new to the whole NAS/PLEX side of things. I know I want somewhere to dump all my backed-up family photos/videos with a factor of redundancy, but I also want to have a PLEX server or similar so I can have all my DVDs and downloaded movies in one place, so I can access them from any device on the network. 

For example, I have a older smart LG TV in my living room which I believe uses WebOS, so I'll be able to install and use a plex app, but I am also gonna be using a MicroPC connected and sat behind my TV with a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo so I can interact with it. And I am planning on using that as a HTPC, so I can have stuff like Netflix, Prime, Disney+ etc installed on there as well as easy access to all my network content. Also, would Windows be best, or there like a really good Linux distro specifically designed for HTPCs? Since it will be connected to a TV and only a TV. 

Can anyone confirm/deny if this is going to be at all possible?

EDIT:

I also want to mention that when I was thinking that AM4 all had iGPUs, I was referring to AM5, my bad. My new build is gonna have a 7th gen AM5 R5 as the platform, so I'll be able to run both PCs, by using my new build with the iGPU and the server with my gaming GPU for testing purposes.

Spoiler

I found and bought one of these on  on ebay.

They can turn up randomly for little money.

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/geforce®-gt-710-1gb-pcie-x-1

Not 100%, but my home server motherboard may be able to boot headless.

I prefer some sort of video output though.

Main Machine: CPU: 5800X3D  RAM: 32GB  GPU: RTX 3080  M/B: ASUS B550-E Storage: 2 x 256GB NVME boot, 1/2 TB NVME OS: Windows 10, Ubuntu 22.04

Server1:  M92p micro  CPU: i5-3470T  RAM: 8GB OS: Proxmox  Virtual Machines: Opnsense router, LXC containers: netboot server, download manager

Server2: CPU: 3600X  RAM: 64GB M/B MSI B450 Tomahawk  OS: Proxmox  Virtual machines: Windows 10, 3 x Ubuntu Linux, Truenas scale (16TB logical storage)