Look at Optane 905 1.5tb drive to use as a boot drive. Thoughts?

Go to solution Solved by porina,
10 minutes ago, Levent said:

For that price you can get 2 990 Pro 2tbs, put them in raid0 and pretty much annihilate that thing AND have 2.5tb more disk space. 

Optane's strength is low QD read IOPS. Nothing flash comes close still in that specific area.

14 minutes ago, Gas Racing said:

If it can half boot times and crisp up response, it's worth it... or at least that's the justification for such a unnecessary expensive upgrade... and it's on sale.

Lmfao

I used to use the 280GB model as OS drive. Can't say it felt faster than a high end flash SSD. 

It's onsale for $300 right now. New units. Been wanting one for years. Already got the credit card out...

Someone talk me off the ledge...

By far the highest 4k qd1 random read speed of any storage device that isn't a ramdisk, but sequential speeds are capped by PCIe 3.0.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Using ssds for mass storage, this would be dedicated as a oversized bootdrive

Do you really need it? $300 for 1.5tb is kind of steep.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Need, no...

Want... yes!!! 

If it can half boot times and crisp up response, it's worth it... or at least that's the justification for such a unnecessary expensive upgrade... and it's on sale.

Lmfao

could that 300 bucks go to something more useful than marginally faster boot times? are there othr purchases you should make but arent making to have the money for this? are there things you're saving up for?

i'm all for getting it if you want it and no other good reason.. (literally sitting next to a mostly idle AMD epyc server..) but if spending on a hobby means essential things get delayed, you probably shouldnt spend on a hobby.

1 minute ago, Gas Racing said:

Need, no...

Want... yes!!! 

Lmfao

For that price you can get 2 990 Pro 2tbs, put them in raid0 and pretty much annihilate that thing AND have 2.5tb more disk space. 

Anyways, you already made up your choice.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

They were like $2,200 new... it's like putting some unobtanium bling in your build. 

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

I was thinking about raided ssds on a pcie card. The cards are expensive and/or require pcie bifurcation on the mobo. That's on the cards for the next full build. 

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

could that 300 bucks go to something more useful than marginally faster boot times? are there othr purchases you should make but arent making to have the money for this? are there things you're saving up for?

i'm all for getting it if you want it and no other good reason.. (literally sitting next to a mostly idle AMD epyc server..) but if spending on a hobby means essential things get delayed, you probably shouldnt spend on a hobby.

I'm just wasting a bit of cash until I save up enough for a full build at the end of year.

10 minutes ago, Levent said:

Optane's strength is low QD read IOPS. Nothing flash comes close still in that specific area.

14 minutes ago, Gas Racing said:

Lmfao

I used to use the 280GB model as OS drive. Can't say it felt faster than a high end flash SSD. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Thanks guys, I'm putting the card away. Best to save til November and for for raided ssds.

Man, it's a piece of history though. Amazing technology. Selling them at $300, they must be losing money versus their cost to manufacture them. Just blowing out the leftovers after the write off. So tempting...

20 minutes ago, Levent said:

Don't give up on us padiwans so quickly, your wisdom helped sway me from the darkside of making ill advised purchases.