3950X low ghz bug

This happened since I bought it. Randomly, like 2 out of 10 boots, it starts with a low ghz for some reason. Sometimes as low as 0,5 ghz. In this example, it was stuck around 1.7 ghz. Please see video attached

As you can see, if I switch the power plan profile, it resets to normal. But this is annoying since everytime I boot I have to double check in case im missing ghzs. Sometimes it's very obvious because the computer is lagging, others like on this example, 1.75 was noticeable when I opened a 3d software. Is it possible to fix this permanently? do I need to flash the motherboard or something? Any help much appreciated.

Edit: forgot to mention, MOBO is Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO. This happens with standard plans. I tried High Performance to see if this wouldn't happen as it was recommended by some people, it doesn't matter what plan you have selected, this happens randomly. To fix it you just have to go from whatever plan you are into into another for some reason this resets it.

cpuz.png

And your motherboard is what? Somehow you missed that crucial information while also suspecting it.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 hours ago, MS-DOS said:

This happened since I bought it. Randomly, like 2 out of 10 boots, it starts with a low ghz for some reason. Sometimes as low as 0,5 ghz. In this example, it was stuck around 1.7 ghz. Please see video attached

As you can see, if I switch the power plan profile, it resets to normal. But this is annoying since everytime I boot I have to double check in case im missing ghzs. Sometimes it's very obvious because the computer is lagging, others like on this example, 1.75 was noticeable when I opened a 3d software. Is it possible to fix this permanently? do I need to flash the motherboard or something? Any help much appreciated.

Did you modify your power plans ?

Why don't you just use balanced, it won't change anything on a 3950X ?

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / ASUS ROG AZOTH keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Edit:

Mobo?

AGESA version?

Other stuff to help us help you.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, TL-D14X, TL-B14

On 6/23/2024 at 7:33 PM, freeagent said:

Edit:

Mobo?

AGESA version?

Other stuff to help us help you.

Hi, you can see here:

cpuz.png

On 6/23/2024 at 7:26 PM, PDifolco said:

Did you modify your power plans ?

Why don't you just use balanced, it won't change anything on a 3950X ?

This happens with any of the standard plans, it reset clock if you go from one plan to another.

On 6/23/2024 at 5:32 PM, Levent said:

And your motherboard is what? Somehow you missed that crucial information while also suspecting it.

I updated thread with details.

1 hour ago, MS-DOS said:

This happens with any of the standard plans, it reset clock if you go from one plan to another.

Then that points towards bad power delivery on the board imo, CPU hasn't enough voltage

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / ASUS ROG AZOTH keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Your agesa version is 5 years out of date. Start by updating your bios before coming to conclusions.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I agree, that could be a problem. Either way, I bet the flash will fix it.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, TL-D14X, TL-B14

On 6/27/2024 at 12:03 AM, PDifolco said:

Then that points towards bad power delivery on the board imo, CPU hasn't enough voltage

But if this was a power delivery problem why would it happen at the start at random times and gets fixed permanently by switching power plans and never happens again? (unless you restart the computer and then it may or not happen)

I will try flashing bios to latest version. Anyone can point me to the right file? I don want to flash it with the wrong bios.

33 minutes ago, MS-DOS said:

But if this was a power delivery problem why would it happen at the start at random times and gets fixed permanently by switching power plans and never happens again? (unless you restart the computer and then it may or not happen)

I will try flashing bios to latest version. Anyone can point me to the right file? I don want to flash it with the wrong bios.

It's either Windows or the board, don't think BIOS is the issue

Did you fully reinstall windows ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2024 at 4:02 PM, PDifolco said:

It's either Windows or the board, don't think BIOS is the issue

Did you fully reinstall windows ?

I don't remember but I think I did once. It's Windows 10 Enterprise LTSE

You should always do a BIOS update if you have issues/bugs.

There is a reason why newer BIOS versions exist.