Built my first pc, weird psu noise and other questions

Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
12 minutes ago, Kestas101 said:

Just built my pc, updated bios, windows and installed drivers. I have a few questions about the cables of the build and also about a weird noise im hearing.

From the images, i was wondering if the gpu cables are fine the way they are? The glass panel pushes them back and theyre so stiff that they actually set the gpu upright so it doesnt even need a support. But are the cables fine this way? Is it okay how bent they are? I've also heard of the pigtail cable being bad, but my psu only has 4 pcie connections and 2 are used for the cpu connection on motherboard.

The pump tubes are barely touching the gpu cables but this shouldnt be a problem right?

About the noise. Its kind of like an "electrical whistling" if that makes sense. I'm not sure if i didnt notice if it was there from the beginning or not, but i noticed after installing windows 10 and waiting for updates to finish. The noise is from the psu i believe. Is it normal? Is it supposed to be like this or is it a problem with the psu itself or something else? 

Not sure how well you can hear it from the video, but i can hear it from a few meters away from the pc... Its loud and annoying and im worried theres a problem with it.

PC specs:
MO: MSI B650M GAMING PLUS WIFI
CPU: Ryzen 7 7800x3d
GPU: ASROCK 7900 XTX
RAM: 2x16 GB 6000 MHz Corsair Vengeance
SSD: Lexar NM620 M.2 2280 Pcie Gen3x4 NVMe SSD, 3500 MB/s Read speed
PSU: Corsair RM850e
CPU Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240
Case: DeepCool MATREXX 55 MESH

GPU cables look good!  Nothing to worry about there 🙂

The PSU noise is mild Coilwhine, this is not dangerous and does not affect the lifespan of the product!  Its just slightly annoying if its loud.

My own RM750i has this too but its not audible unless I put my head inside my case.

If its annoying then you should be able to RMA it, I have done this before with components being very loud due to coilwhine.

Just built my pc, updated bios, windows and installed drivers. I have a few questions about the cables of the build and also about a weird noise im hearing.

From the images, i was wondering if the gpu cables are fine the way they are? The glass panel pushes them back and theyre so stiff that they actually set the gpu upright so it doesnt even need a support. But are the cables fine this way? Is it okay how bent they are? I've also heard of the pigtail cable being bad, but my psu only has 4 pcie connections and 2 are used for the cpu connection on motherboard.

The pump tubes are barely touching the gpu cables but this shouldnt be a problem right?

About the noise. Its kind of like an "electrical whistling" if that makes sense. I'm not sure if i didnt notice if it was there from the beginning or not, but i noticed after installing windows 10 and waiting for updates to finish. The noise is from the psu i believe. Is it normal? Is it supposed to be like this or is it a problem with the psu itself or something else? 

Not sure how well you can hear it from the video, but i can hear it from a few meters away from the pc... Its loud and annoying and im worried theres a problem with it.

PC specs:

IMG_20240623_160745.thumb.jpg.85dfa4203e88e5599c414e4557960645.jpgIMG_20240623_155929.thumb.jpg.c343db8656311a7727368d10e4a03edc.jpg

12 minutes ago, Kestas101 said:

PC specs:

The PSU noise is mild Coilwhine, this is not dangerous and does not affect the lifespan of the product!  Its just slightly annoying if its loud.

My own RM750i has this too but its not audible unless I put my head inside my case.

If its annoying then you should be able to RMA it, I have done this before with components being very loud due to coilwhine.

9 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Thank you so much for the reply! Now that i know the cables are fine and what the noise is, I'm so glad to hear the first build went (mostly) without issues.

The noise is rather loud, i can hear it from 5+ meters away, so i might have to RMA it. Just glad its not a faulty psu or any mistakes on my part.

23 minutes ago, Kestas101 said:

Thank you so much for the reply! Now that i know the cables are fine and what the noise is, I'm so glad to hear the first build went (mostly) without issues.

The noise is rather loud, i can hear it from 5+ meters away, so i might have to RMA it. Just glad its not a faulty psu or any mistakes on my part.

No Problem!  I had to RMA a RTX 2080 Super due to insane coilwhine, I could hear it over my tower speakers while playing.

If its that audible at such a distance I would say that its RMA worthy since the product is being bothersome when it shouldn't.

The RMe series from Corsair is great but it does uses slightly worse capacitors compared to the RMx series that might cause higher coilwhine.

Coilwhine is most common in GPU's but it can happen in PSU's, Motherboards and monitors.

If you want to learn more about Coilwhine, check these out.

You are not alone when it comes to Coilwhine, we get maybe 15 posts a week here on the Forum regarding GPU and PSU coilwhine.

52 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

No Problem!  I had to RMA a RTX 2080 Super due to insane coilwhine, I could hear it over my tower speakers while playing.

If its that audible at such a distance I would say that its RMA worthy since the product is being bothersome when it shouldn't.

The RMe series from Corsair is great but it does uses slightly worse capacitors compared to the RMx series that might cause higher coilwhine.

Coilwhine is most common in GPU's but it can happen in PSU's, Motherboards and monitors.

If you want to learn more about Coilwhine, check these out.

You are not alone when it comes to Coilwhine, we get maybe 15 posts a week here on the Forum regarding GPU and PSU coilwhine.

Wow... just loaded up a game and the same sound is made by the gpu as in the linus video.... Another component that makes VERY loud coil whine.... I'm just gonna bring the whole pc to the pros where i bought the parts and ask them to check and make sure that both the psu and gpu are making coil whine noises and hopefully they will replace them.... I'ts unplayable with how loud it is...

6 minutes ago, Kestas101 said:

Wow... just loaded up a game and the same sound is made by the gpu as in the linus video.... Another component that makes VERY loud coil whine.... I'm just gonna bring the whole pc to the pros where i bought the parts and ask them to check and make sure that both the psu and gpu are making coil whine noises and hopefully they will replace them.... I'ts unplayable with how loud it is...

Sounds like you got hit by two severe coilwhine products.  ( You can buy the same PSU and GPU again and not have coilwhine, its basically lottery )

You can try to limit your framerate to the monitors refreshrate, this should help with the GPU coilwhine.  The higher the FPS / workload the louder the coilwhine is on GPU's.

Some coilwhine is to be expected on high end GPUs like the 7900 XTX but it shouldn't be bothersome. You won't eliminate it completely.

Hopefully they can replace the components with parts that doesn't have as much Coilwhine.

I replaced my MSI 2080 Super Ventus with a Palit Gamerock RTX 2080 Super and it was whisper quiet.