Do ARM Laptop has typical UEFI Firmware, Boot from USB, or any x86 sysadmin stuff.

Hi everyone,

Our IT Department planning to upgrade 4th Gen Intel Laptop (Mix brand) to newer one.

They suggest those Snapdragon ARM Laptop and rise a question among IT folks here.

Our understanding on ARM, mostly are using uboot, locked bootloader (secure boot) and incapable to boot via USB (Thumb Drive, DVD, ...) and disallow user to access Firmware, we concerned about these especially blocking from access boot from USB and cannot use our Master Sysprep Image (Custom Windows Image)

If anyone has own a ARM Laptop on that regard, do they have typical x86 stuff that we relaying on?

My PC Specification: https://valid.x86.fr/qsznp0

If, as a business IT department you are asking these questions, you should definitely not be buying a Windows-On-ARM laptop. You need predictable stability and performance for your applications as "getting your work done" is vastly, almost unfathomably more important than trying to get on the bleeding edge of new, unproven technologies.

Pick out a modern well supported Intel i5/i7/ Ryzen 5/7 laptop.

Get one device before ordering many and experiment. That is what I have done and it saved my ass many times.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just two add to the above. You might not want to go that route as Microsoft doesn't have a good track record with ARM products. Its not clear if they will support these machines the way they need to be supported to be successful.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

+1 for trying yourself, good occasion to get a new toy to play with on work time evaluate too. 

I'd love having a play with them, but... prices are ridiculous on the models that have released.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Get a tester and make it someone's main device (preferably IT). See how it goes.

Since this is first gen stuff and windows on arm isnt fully compatible with all windows programs I expect issues.

It may also be just another fluke of lets release a arm laptop and then forget about it again for some years before hyping it up again.

Keep in mind that windows for arm has been around since 2012, got ditched till about 2019 when a major product got 10 for arm (surface x) but was a featherweight due to a minor amount of applications working well, got a silent v2 and well now we are here. Major applications still dont work/fully work due to emulation issues, native for arm apps are rolling out months after these devices come out and legacy application support is a big mistery because with every major update to windows on arm shit goes wack.

So yeah dont get this but if you do test drive thesr for A LONG TIME and be prepared to look for a new job when things go way wrong.

I decided to suggest them Ryzen Laptop instead,

I told them ARM Laptop are locked down, lacks of ACPI, firmware might not UEFI, different style of booting (uboot) and not sysadmin friendly like typical ARM device like Chromebook.

I try ask Finance to buy one those Snapdragon laptop to experiment with, see basic office work can be done, also see Windows Sysprep can work on ARM allow booting Linux (Clonezilla) and try restore Sysprep Image.

However, I curious how those Snapdragon Laptop? Do they have usual PC style sysadmin like UEFI, USB Boot, Device security for outstation user (disable network boot, disable USB, disable wireless, etc...) if locked like typical Chromebook, RPi. Then I don't see ARM suitable for PC replacement.

My PC Specification: https://valid.x86.fr/qsznp0

3 hours ago, Anime4000 said:

Do they have usual PC style sysadmin like UEFI, USB Boot, Device security for outstation user (disable network boot, disable USB, disable wireless, etc...) if locked like typical Chromebook, RPi.

Basically no one has one yet, so either do the research yourself or wait until people post info.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2