[C++][OpenGL][GLFW] Consistent average framerate but inconsistent frame times in borderless fullscreen

DarkSkela

I am currently working on a game project for Uni, which is written in C++ using OpenGL 4.6 and GLFW. Recently, after looking at the frame times I am getting, I've noticed something peculiar.
When the game is running in windowed mode, I get very consistent frametimes around 6.9ms which coincides with my monitors refresh rate of 144Hz. However if the window is then set to borderless fullscreen mode, the frame times I am getting move more into a 1:2 ratio over two frames, where the first frame might take around 3.45ms and the second 10.35ms. When I average the frametimes of both window settings over a second, I still get to 144 FPS on both, so this doesn't break the user experience of the program, but I'm still perplexed as to what could cause this inconsistency. I think I can pretty much discount performance problems with the rendering, as using a maximised window doesn't lead to inconsistent frame times, only borderless fullscreen does. I'm currently on Windows 11 and am using a G-SYNC monitor and NVIDIA GPU in case that has some impact on things.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give.

How are you measuring this exactly? I have no idea about why this would happen but measuring time is genuinely difficult to do accurately. 

Aside from the possibility of this being a measuring artifact, consider that opengl4.6 was released 7 years ago and opengl as a whole is no longer in active development, so it's possible this is just a matter of imperfect compatibility with windows 11.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

18 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Aside from the possibility of this being a measuring artifact, consider that opengl4.6 was released 7 years ago and opengl as a whole is no longer in active development, so it's possible this is just a matter of imperfect compatibility with windows 11.

Seconding this, I would suggest using opengl 5.0 AKA Vulkan.

For a bit of context, AMD launched Mantle to address the shortcomings to opengl 4 and afterwards gave the code away to khronos group (the group behind opengl). Much of their Mantle team also transferred over and vulkan was born as the successor to opengl 4

This is a signature.