Why does my monitor does this when talking a picture of the screen...

Blazepoint5
Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

That's called a Moiré pattern. This happens because the pixel grid of your monitor and the pixel grid of the camera's sensor don't match perfectly.

You do know that computers can take screenshots and you don't have to use a camera to take a picture, right?

Hey mate, so everytime im talking a picture of my screen this thing always shows, i dont know what it is called, its kind of a screen pixel effect

https://pin.it/hxPOVCd4i

20240622_234848_optimized.thumb.jpg.51a212ddb68d09d61c74c9afcb1f9ff8.jpg

The affect would be more visible if your zooming in and out of the image. This is something i know but lacks the proper knowledge to explain it in particular, its an LCD monitor, but is there a way i could nap my screen without this annoying thing, not just my monitor, i have taken pictures if other laptop screens and its the same thing ==

https://pin.it/DuI6L32Ak

20240623_084013_optimized.thumb.jpg.974f88ae6e84dbed5ae20d96c2f91460.jpg

But sometimes it doesn't show and its the same monitor: .

https://pin.it/4p6xuiPns .

20240501_085737_optimized.thumb.jpg.34e3c836db1abd321ed15325f4d648ff.jpg

I dont know if pintrest compresses images but hope it helps.

Edit: pintrest compressed does image and they look absolutely terrible, the quality is poor, and i could not send them here because all ove em individually exceed 20mb each.

Edit2: i had to follow a method to compress them while trying to preserve quality.

That's called a Moiré pattern. This happens because the pixel grid of your monitor and the pixel grid of the camera's sensor don't match perfectly.

You do know that computers can take screenshots and you don't have to use a camera to take a picture, right?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

7 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

Out of everything you can take photos of your screen, you chose to use this cracked game installer.  Other than pointing out the cringe, I dont see anything wrong. You can use the feature of screenshotting (which was introduced 40 years ago)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

Yes i do, i like the pictures more than screenshots thats why, my future self would always thank me for that. 

Is there a way to get rid of it, if you look at the 3rd picture it looks better than the first 2 even though its the same phone and monitor.

6 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

Is there a way to get rid of it, if you look at the 3rd picture it looks better than the first 2 even though its the same phone and monitor.

As I said above, it happens because the pixel grid of the camera's sensor doesn't align with the monitor's pixel grid. You'd need to align both monitor and camera perfectly to get rid of it/minimize the effect, which is going to be pretty much impossible to achieve reliably. At least without a tripod and a lot of time arranging both pieces of hardware.

~edit: the reason you don't notice it as much in the third image is because it's predominantly black pixels

7 minutes ago, Levent said:

Out of everything you can take photos of your screen, you chose to use this cracked game installer.  Other than pointing out the cringe, I dont see anything wrong. You can use the feature of screenshotting (which was introduced 40 years ago)

Haha, I see what you mean about the screenshot, but actually, I intentionally blocked out parts of the image that might have given the wrong impression. I was asking about something specific in the image that I obscured for. Thanks for the screenshot tip, but in this case, the picture was more convenient for me to illustrate my question.

Depends how it's aligned and on the camera's focus. If you set it slightly out of focus it won't appear.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Depends how it's aligned and on the camera's focus. If you set it slightly out of focus it won't appear.

Yes, i mean take a look at the 3rd picture, i didn't align anything either put it out of focus and it doesn't have the effect.

7 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

~edit: the reason you don't notice it as much in the third image is because it's predominantly black pixels

I don't understand that but okey. 

It does on the cheek, just the rest is too dark for it to be visible. The grid is that of bright pixels with black between them, if the pixels are also black there's no grid to be seen. 

Distance changes the relative sizes of the grids and thus the effect too.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

I don't understand that but okey. 

The pixels are black as are the tiny gaps between them, so no pattern is visible (black on black). As @Kilrah pointed out you can see the pattern on the guy's cheek, because here you have light pixels with a tiny black border around them.

It's also known as the screen door effect, because you can also notice it when you take a picture of any fine mesh-like structure, such as a fly screen.

If you have a black mesh covering the door of a dark room, the mesh effectively becomes invisible, hiding the effect. The lighter the background behind the mesh, the more visible it becomes. Even if you can't see it with your eyes, the camera sensor's much higher resolution will pick it up. Just as the pixels on your monitor have tiny gaps between them, so do the sensor's pixels. The visual effect is the result of those two grids overlapping.

If you have two pieces of mesh (or mesh like fabric) you can put one on top of the other and shift them around a bit to replicate the effect without the need for a camera.